The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #1,696 of 2,262
Really? That is a very high premium for a special edition model.
I wonder if the premium is split between Blue Note & AK though - not that it's a justification but just curious.

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #1,697 of 2,262
I suspect the SACD on AP will sound better than these highres e.g. Cannonball's somethin' else...
Too lazy to AB until now...

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #1,701 of 2,262
The beauty of free market is there must be willing buyers and willing sellers. If it is not providing what people want (and I don't mean value), it won't sell. If it sells, it is what is wanted, no matter how irrational.

While we can choose not to buy, let's not deny others who want precisely that.

Technically, you can't screw the market, although there might be some consumers who are willing. It's their money, I am not someone who dictates what other wants to sell, or buy.

Oct 26, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #1,705 of 2,262
Oct 26, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #1,706 of 2,262
Who could tell what amp makes a good pairing with the AK240 to drive for ex my LCD-X ?? SE or BA output ?? Or perhaps LCD-X need NO amp and are well driven by the AK240 ??

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #1,708 of 2,262
Hello folks, first time member I just wanted to share my concerns over my AK240, as AnakChan the moderator posted in the beginning threads that any concerns or questions regarding AK240 can be posted on this section well my main 2 concern for my device is:

1. Is the battery life really this bad?

Considering that I fully charged my AK240 unit last night to a full 100% and did the firmware update, I am barely getting 5 hours 30 minutes of usage playing FLAC files at 24 bit / 48 kHz.

My screen setting is 100% brightness to simulate conditions in bright sunlight, however this should not affect my battery much since I only ever spend a few seconds to change my songs when the screen is on. So almost all of the 5 1/2 hours of usage my screen is OFF.

2. The Astell & Kern logo behind my unit is faded

It doesn't really bother me but does anyone else have this problem? I mean considering paying almost $2900 for my unit their quality control department really messed this up, this is supposed to be the Ultimate music player being premium in every way.

The rest of my settings throughout the day are all off:

EQ off
Wifi off
Bluetooth off
Gapless playback off
Balanced OUT off

I mean this seems like a bad battery to me I read that playing DSD files you are at least getting 6 hours of non stop playback, I don't even have DSD music and I m already under the 6 hour mark.

Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #1,709 of 2,262
  Who could tell what amp makes a good pairing with the AK240 to drive for ex my LCD-X ?? SE or BA output ?? Or perhaps LCD-X need NO amp and are well driven by the AK240 ??

I find the 240 drives my XCs to more than satisfactory levels. Try without an amp first, and then order a Hugo like I just did. 
biggrin.gif

I purchased an upgrade cable from Double Helix terminated with a 2.5mm TRRS connector and was very happy with the purchase, both sonically and from a build quality perspective. I recommend using the balanced out.

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #1,710 of 2,262
  Hello folks, first time member I just wanted to share my concerns over my AK240, as AnakChan the moderator posted in the beginning threads that any concerns or questions regarding AK240 can be posted on this section well my main 2 concern for my device is:

1. Is the battery life really this bad?

Considering that I fully charged my AK240 unit last night to a full 100% and did the firmware update, I am barely getting 5 hours 30 minutes of usage playing FLAC files at 24 bit / 48 kHz.

My screen setting is 100% brightness to simulate conditions in bright sunlight, however this should not affect my battery much since I only ever spend a few seconds to change my songs when the screen is on. So almost all of the 5 1/2 hours of usage my screen is OFF.

2. The Astell & Kern logo behind my unit is faded

It doesn't really bother me but does anyone else have this problem? I mean considering paying almost $2900 for my unit their quality control department really messed this up, this is supposed to be the Ultimate music player being premium in every way.

The rest of my settings throughout the day are all off:

EQ off
Wifi off
Bluetooth off
Gapless playback off
Balanced OUT off

I mean this seems like a bad battery to me I read that playing DSD files you are at least getting 6 hours of non stop playback, I don't even have DSD music and I m already under the 6 hour mark.

Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I've never precisely timed the battery life on mine, but I would estimate I get 8-9 hours playing a wide selection of lossless and lossy files. I do keep bluetooth and wifi turned off, but I sometimes use the EQ to get a little more boom on my XCs. I cannot fully charge my battery using the USB on my 2012 MacBook Air; I use the USB charger that came with my iPhone. By the way, I use my 240 for a few hours at a time, not continuously from full charge to battery dead.

I agree on the logo ... the tarnished nature on mine after only seven months of ownership seems incongruent with what the 240 aspires to be. I blame this, though, on myself since I removed the protectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back