The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #1,606 of 2,262
Yes and they've stated lots of other things too like no one wanted to watch video on an iPod, past bit rate was good enough "then moved it up" 730p was good enough "now up to 1080p" and now retina with support for multi 4k...They never say where they're going next and have always said things to throw the competition off or whatever but they have a few audiophiles working in the mist and I believe it's coming as it wouldn't be a smart move for it not too at least 24/96 especially with 4k AIFF and ALAC are and were for a reason ☺️...Apple sometimes sits on things for a long time before they implement it...they still are a small company no matter what IOS sales say and would have you believe they have a limited number of engineers and people to work on projects as it's always been this way...

That made me chuckle.

biggrin.gif

HS

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #1,607 of 2,262
Yes and they've stated lots of other things too like no one wanted to watch video on an iPod, past bit rate was good enough "then moved it up" 730p was good enough "now up to 1080p" and now retina with support for multi 4k...They never say where they're going next and have always said things to throw the competition off or whatever but they have a few audiophiles working in the mist and I believe it's coming as it wouldn't be a smart move for it not too at least 24/96 especially with 4k AIFF and ALAC are and were for a reason ☺️...Apple sometimes sits on things for a long time before they implement it...they still are a small company no matter what IOS sales say and would have you believe they have a limited number of engineers and people to work on projects as it's always been this way...

Uh?

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #1,611 of 2,262
  Errr...guys & gals (if any), drifting off topic here?

You are right, we shouldn't be talking about what some small start up might be doing with HD in this thread. 
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #1,612 of 2,262
Hi,

I've just received my AK240 and can't wait to get going with it but I have a couple of questions I was hoping you could help me with.

Does it make a difference in the folders section where you upload all your music? I was going to create a folder called Music Library and upload all my music into it. How does everyone else do it?

I have a lot of playlists in iTunes. Is there anyway at all that I can take those playlists and upload them into the AK240? Are there any workarounds other then creating them all manually on the device itself?

Any other words of advice or tips for a newbie owner?

I appreciate your help.

P.

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #1,613 of 2,262
I've been there, done that, so can make a few suggestions.  I presume you are using Mac OS, therefore need Android AFTP.  It is a bit "clunky" and seemingly sensitive to transfer.  But, much to my surprise, I just dragged and dropped my iTunes playlists and there they are!  Some criticism from forum members, because you will duplicate if you transfer the same music by album.  But I just couldn't help wanting a few of my cherished playlists transferred.  Also the folder issue is sensitive.  Hard to determine, but sometimes I get intermittent weird messages and no connect.  Then I delete the offending folder, rename and in goes the music!
Never a problem with HD Tracks or Acoustic sounds downloads, tho.  And, oddly, I've never had a problem using the folder that came with: "Music".
Couple of other thoughts: there's another thread with tons of good info from 240 users.  Also you could try a balanced cable from Ted at Headphone lounge...he is superb and the cables a genuine upgrade.
And learn the UI....the sound is amazing!  Enjoy.

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #1,614 of 2,262
  Hi,

I've just received my AK240 and can't wait to get going with it but I have a couple of questions I was hoping you could help me with.

Does it make a difference in the folders section where you upload all your music? I was going to create a folder called Music Library and upload all my music into it. How does everyone else do it?

I have a lot of playlists in iTunes. Is there anyway at all that I can take those playlists and upload them into the AK240? Are there any workarounds other then creating them all manually on the device itself?

Any other words of advice or tips for a newbie owner?

I appreciate your help.

P.

Always use the USB cable that came with the AK. You can use almost any other to charge. For transferring data you will need the AK cable.

You have MAC? 50/50 only one side USB will work. On mine its the right side.

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #1,615 of 2,262
Always use the USB cable that came with the AK. You can use almost any other to charge. For transferring data you will need the AK cable.

You have MAC? 50/50 only one side USB will work. On mine its the right side.

I didnt use the cable that came with the AK240. No problem for me and my mac when transferring or charging. Whats the logic?

@almo99 didnt have any issues in the folders i just organized my stuff as hires, dsd, others. All up to you. Im just not sure if theres a maximum on how many levels (sub folders) the ak can read though. Mine is at most 4 from the root folder.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,616 of 2,262
One thing I did learn. If go to songs and then switch to MQS or DSD remember to go back to ALL. I was playing around and wanted to test if it would actually list all DSD (I know, no faith). Then I must have switched off player.

Later when home I transferred a new CD from laptop to 240 but then went to folder view. The new CD folder was there but no songs. And same for all other albums I tried. The top level folder there but all empty.

I tried the playlists and could play songs ok from there. So now I knew everything there....also space was all full but just couldn't see songs.

I then went to songs to see what there and was still only showing DSD. Clicked the ALL and there they all were. Checked folder view and all back to normal.

Not sure this is a bug or just a lesson learned bit glad I didn't do full reset or try reloading everything.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #1,617 of 2,262
I didnt use the cable that came with the AK240. No problem for me and my mac when transferring or charging. Whats the logic?

That's great Max....you must have a cable that has the same specs as the AK. For me, I tried the Kindle cable, it charged but it will not transfer or communicate. BTW, I have the same problem with my Garmin. I can only use the USB it came with to communicate/update.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #1,618 of 2,262

@almo99 didnt have any issues in the folders i just organized my stuff as hires, dsd, others. All up to you. Im just not sure if theres a maximum on how many levels (sub folders) the ak can read though. Mine is at most 4 from the root folder.

I'm using a regular USB cable as well and no problem with my Mac/240

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #1,619 of 2,262
I have also had luck with generic usb cables.  In fact, I never used my AK cable and never had a problem.  I am sure it is a real issue if AK put it in their manual but I personally have had zero issues with a regular mid-grade usb cable.

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #1,620 of 2,262
I had no problems either with cheap China usb cables or Samsung stock cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back