The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #1,486 of 2,262

I have no doubt... i listened to the EX100 and wasn't impressed. I admit that i haven't heard a top class hybrid but BAs alone are just not what i want.

Agreed. BA alone has its deficiencies and seems like hybrid is the new trend.

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #1,487 of 2,262
How about Tera compares to 901 in terms of richness (or thickness if you will)?  As I don't have 901 but Tera & 240 and while you have all 3 then I could reference this with my 240. Many thanks
I would need to compare, do not have them all with me now. But 901 will be more powerful than both and has less the analog feel of the Tera but more detail.

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #1,488 of 2,262
So all the IEMs that synergize best with the AK are BA models... Not a dynamic driver to be seen. That's a shame because i personally much prefer Dynamic drivers. This is something that crystallised for me recently when i owned the N4. To me it sounded tonally off. Very unnatural compared to dynamic driver sets in my opinion.
What it tells me is that iems veering towards warm sound better with RWAK240.

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #1,489 of 2,262
I would need to compare, do not have them all with me now. But 901 will be more powerful than both and has less the analog feel of the Tera but more detail.

the Tera is more tamed & less details than the 240 and is a perfect match with 1Plus2.

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #1,490 of 2,262
Sean, do you get the clicking/popping sound in btw tracks when converting to dsf? I heard that's a common bug using that common software :)
However there's no issue with dff format.

It's quite common. And it doesn't really bother me any more. And certainly not as much as the thunderous pop of the DX100 when coming back from sleep mode... ;p

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #1,491 of 2,262
  Anakchan -

I have a stock AK 120 and just ordered an ALO internation+ with the $150 cable. Ouch!

Question - Aside from having two components (AK 120 + International), does the AK 240 sound better?

If so, maybe I should cut my loses and get the AK 240.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

I have to admit I've not compared the stock AK120 + amp to the AK240 and can't really comment on that. 

Maybe others who have experienced a stock AK120+ external amp vs the AK240 can comment.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #1,492 of 2,262
  Anakchan -

I have a stock AK 120 and just ordered an ALO internation+ with the $150 cable. Ouch!

Question - Aside from having two components (AK 120 + International), does the AK 240 sound better?

If so, maybe I should cut my loses and get the AK 240.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

I have the Vorzuge Duo (using Tralucent uber interconnector with Ref.1 + uber) and had lesser SQ than 240 direct.

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #1,493 of 2,262
Got the 240.  Presentation of the product is nice and the casing and the placing of the buttons on the casing is a nice touch.  Small and portable enough.  UI is much better than the unpredictable R10(one of the worst UI experience).  I can see the draw of th this DAP based on presentation, the weight, shape, the knob, and the responsive ui.  UI is pretty good, and the screen seems nice with good resolution to present the album art.

The sound.  Not very engaging and not very dynamic as other sources I've heard.  Not very exciting sounding, it sound pretty flat and boring IMO. Not liking the bass.  Not much bass definiton. Not too keen on the presentation of the sound.  Will listen more.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #1,495 of 2,262
Definitely interested in hearing more SilverEars...Hopefully that changes for you.

It's stil quite early, this is just my initial impressions.  My initially impressions never matches my final impression based on extended listen. I get wow'd usually If I'm coming from lower fi, but lately, I've been listeing to high end gear so, my initial impression won't be a wow.  I need time to try out many different types of genre and compare with my DAC2(this is not a fair comparison, but it should reveal any weaknesses that are apprent in my view).

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #1,496 of 2,262
Highs sound a bit rolled off on my NT6.  This can be due to the output impedance of 3.24ohms.  Resolution is good, but the treble level variation isn't there which leads me to think the my NT6's treble is being rolled off from it.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #1,497 of 2,262
Upgraded to 1.15, and the treble performance seems to have changed.  Highs are more lively now.  I initially listened with 1.09.  It's quite a remarkable player for the size.  It's pretty resolving that's for sure.

Let me say again, the size.  I didn't know something this size can sound like this.  Anybody have pictures of the internals?  Now I'm curious what is inside.  
biggrin.gif

Is anybody getting crackling noise when using using USB DAC?

Aug 9, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #1,499 of 2,262
Aug 9, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #1,500 of 2,262
I got a silver dragon balanced cable to use with my AK240.  I find, however, that the connection is very unreliable.  If the connector is pushed or pulled a little while in the pocket earphone looses a channel.  You have to push or turn the cable to regain the full sound.  Has anyone else experienced poor connection issues with the balanced plug?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back