The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Apr 1, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #558 of 2,262
Hi everyone,

I've notice a problem on my AK240 that seems to be getting worse. Using the knob to adjust the volume control results in sporadic behavior: sometimes the control works in the opposite direction it is supposed to, sometimes it is sluggish moving in the proper direction, sometimes instead of .5dB steps it changes several dB at each slow turn—click— of the knob.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue on their unit? I have v1.09 installed.

Thanks for any help ...

Hi John

So far i don't have so kind of problem with my volume control
Pls email AK about your problem

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #559 of 2,262
Hi Rudi,

It's not mine but a loaner demo for the folks in Tokyo Head-Fi to try out. Yes it seems to be similar to the HM-901 where battery consumption during use is at a higher rate than the charging rate. That's ok, as long as we know the parameters of use.

At a very brief thought within the first hour of listening, to my dismay, this is a jaw dropping performing DAP. I was hoping it wouldn't be that big of a jump in SQ but it is. The first words that came to my mind was fluid, smooth. My ZX1 sounds somewhat coarse by comparison and that's made me sad as I like the ZX1 very much (over the AK120 even). I do agree with you that side-by-side with the 4S/dB/Duet, the Cypherlabs rig does triumph over the AK240 in terms of dynamics & (virtual?) space utilisation. I've not compared it to the Theorem 720, nor my VentureCraft DD/Apex Glacier, yet.

Now I'm no longer talking about comparing the AK240 to other DAPs, but comparing to other component rigs instead. To me this is the territory the AK240 is intruding into. Quite impressive.

Hi Sean

I am sorry typo , i sold My AK 120 not My AK 240 , i Love My AK 240 :D

Thank you for sharing your impression
Our taste is about the same , I like bright and detail like sony ZX 1 and now AK 240 :D
That's why I sold my AK 120 because to warm for my taste, I prefer AK 100
Newly I bought again AK 120 Titan mod , my diy friend use Audio note tone arm cable , very rare cable , my friend left only for my AK 120 Titan :D
My AK 120 Titan is the only one use Audio note tone arm cable , SQ is very good about the Same sound character like my AK 100 and AK 240
Bright and detail and not so forward .
IMO

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #560 of 2,262
Besides Bluebear who published an excellent comparative review few post back, has someone else been able to compare the HUGO against the AK240 ?   

I will be VERY interested to hear more comment on their respective SQ, strength, and also to know which Headphone pair best with each of them (it is all about synergy, isn't it :)

thanks in advance 

Bertrand

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #561 of 2,262
  Now I'm no longer talking about comparing the AK240 to other DAPs, but comparing to other component rigs instead. To me this is the territory the AK240 is intruding into. Quite impressive.

Yes ... Sean, you're absolutely correct. The 240 is not a refinement of the 120, rather, a marked step forward in creating the emotional involvement of the absolute sound—a live performance. When used as a source component with my Luxman tube amp and Focal speakers, the intimacy created is euphoric; I'm sure lots of dopamine is being released in my brain. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #562 of 2,262
High resolution music ... the best drug there is!

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #563 of 2,262

Yes ... Sean, you're absolutely correct. The 240 is not a refinement of the 120, rather, a marked step forward in creating the emotional involvement of the absolute sound—a live performance. When used as a source component with my Luxman tube amp and Focal speakers, the intimacy created is euphoric; I'm sure lots of dopamine is being released in my brain. 
wink_face.gif

Well said.......100% agree. I posted this on the other 240 thread.  

"I have been listening with the balanced 100% cable and I think I notice a difference between balanced and not.  What I read here when I first joined about balanced vs non, I think is true. That is, for IEMs balanced is not as big a diff as for full size Headphones.  In any event I am listening more now to this DAP than I have ever did before. For me, portable has only been for airplane flights and I fly a lot. But now, I am simply entranced.......334 or Mentor both sound great on the 240!"

Would it be a good idea to merge the threads? Just asking.  AnakChan what do you think? The other thread is now more of an appreciation/impression thread don't ya think?

Luckily I am traveling tonight to the East Coast so I get to listen for 8 hours or so. I'm pretty sure I will run out the battery, @8-9 hours now that some of the music is DSD.

I have 1.37 GB space left. Hi Rez files sure takes up a lot of space. I'll use one of the 64GB cards that came out of the 120 until the new 128 cards are available in the $125 range.
Anyone know where to buy a 128 micro for that price point?

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #565 of 2,262
OMG, I have become a Fanboy........maybe those balanced Headfood cables really put the icing on the cake. I did something today I have never done before, which is drive with the AK240's and Mentors.....I just don't want to stop grooving.   Right now Mountain Open Your Hear and Let the Sunshine In...........Hey Leslie the suns shining big time!!!!!!

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #566 of 2,262
Last night, I tried the the AK 240 streaming MQS with DSD files residing in a portable HDD (of course, I first used the iMac app to add the HDD as well as scan the contents). I must confess I was surprised how good it sounded - there didn't seem to be any issues in the streaming - very smooth delivery via the Airport Express. The AK 240 clearly showed the bit rate etc. Definitely impressed. Now to set up the NAS that I picked up. So that if I decide to also get the Sony ZX-1, I'll be able to do native streaming as well. 
atsmile.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #568 of 2,262
Has anybody manged to try the AK-240 with balanced armature & dynamic iem's? And if so are you seeing a better synergy with either one?

I think it will depend specifically on the individual phones.   I have used both the IE800 and the fitear 334.  The 800s definitely benefit from the extra power of the AK240.   The 334s not so much because they already run hot and are pretty loud even with older AKs with lower voltage amps.  The 800s couple very well with the 240 because it sounds great at all volumes without distorting.   The 334s don't sound very good when you try to crank them up.

In general, I would say that you will get more dramatic improvements when the phones benefit from extra juice.   Balanced is also supposed to be a significant improvement; if your iems have the capacity to go balanced, then they might go well with the AK240 as well.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #569 of 2,262
I think it will depend specifically on the individual phones.   I have used both the IE800 and the fitear 334.  The 800s definitely benefit from the extra power of the AK240.   The 334s not so much because they already run hot and are pretty loud even with older AKs with lower voltage amps.  The 800s couple very well with the 240 because it sounds great at all volumes without distorting.   The 334s don't sound very good when you try to crank them up.

In general, I would say that you will get more dramatic improvements when the phones benefit from extra juice.   Balanced is also supposed to be a significant improvement; if your iems have the capacity to go balanced, then they might go well with the AK240 as well.

I'm using IE-800 now, they sound great, lots of detail, great bass. But I think I'm gonna make the jump to a CIEM , Noble K-10 or Roxanne. I really want a balanced out CIEM.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #570 of 2,262
  Well said.......100% agree. I posted this on the other 240 thread.  

"I have been listening with the balanced 100% cable and I think I notice a difference between balanced and not.  What I read here when I first joined about balanced vs non, I think is true. That is, for IEMs balanced is not as big a diff as for full size Headphones.  In any event I am listening more now to this DAP than I have ever did before. For me, portable has only been for airplane flights and I fly a lot. But now, I am simply entranced.......334 or Mentor both sound great on the 240!"

Would it be a good idea to merge the threads? Just asking.  AnakChan what do you think? The other thread is now more of an appreciation/impression thread don't ya think?

Luckily I am traveling tonight to the East Coast so I get to listen for 8 hours or so. I'm pretty sure I will run out the battery, @8-9 hours now that some of the music is DSD.

I have 1.37 GB space left. Hi Rez files sure takes up a lot of space. I'll use one of the 64GB cards that came out of the 120 until the new 128 cards are available in the $125 range.
Anyone know where to buy a 128 micro for that price point?

Sadly I think that thread still has quite a bit of undesired posts of which I prefer if the impressions on that thread come here instead. If I had full control I'd close that thread (wait I almost do :D but that'll still be abusing my privileges).

I actually did some comparisons between the AK240 & HM-901 last night and posted my thoughts in the 901 thread. I will need to do a little more tests like with headphones instead of IEMs and check on driving capability tests on ortho drivers like the Alpha Dogs or V-Modex (V-Moda with T50RP drivers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back