New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HM-901 - Page 181

post #2701 of 3252
Between the 901 and a DX100, is the 901 worth 200 euros more?
post #2702 of 3252

Don't forget, the Balanced Amp card uses quite a bit more power than the IEM Card, it has twice as many power hungry OPA627's afterall.  I notice that the HM-901 runs noticeably warmer with the Balanced Amp card.  I'll try to get a hold of an IR Thermometer to see if I can measure the difference.

 

Also, if you run the HM-901 with an external Amp all the time, you might as well remove the Amp card to save power.  The HM-901 (and HM-802) work without the amp card.  The line out is a true dedicated line out independent of the headphone output stage.

post #2703 of 3252
Actually, someone told me long back that using LOD with external portable amp would consume more battery. Hence, i stopped looking for portable amp.....
post #2704 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdourado View Post

Between the 901 and a DX100, is the 901 worth 200 euros more?

Someone who has heard both will be able to tell you the differences in terms of sound, UI etc., but if these differences are worth the extra money is 100% personal. I expect you already have searched the net for reviews of the two.

 

I haven't heard the DX100, but if I remember correctly the HM-901 is supposed to be more analog and darker sounding. Do you like milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Your taste may be different than the reviewers.

 

I compared my HM-901 (line out, playing from SD card) to my big and heavy Audio-gd Reference 7.1 DAC and the differences are surprisingly subtle...

post #2705 of 3252

I have both DX100 and HM901. To my own ear, hm901 worth the price difference sound wise. DX100 sounds good enough with plenty of detail, but HM901 has better sound stage and more engaging vocal and more energetic instrumental.

post #2706 of 3252

The Coax out supplied with the 901 works perfectly with the Hugo. No need to buy cables.

 

post #2707 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post

Someone who has heard both will be able to tell you the differences in terms of sound, UI etc., but if these differences are worth the extra money is 100% personal. I expect you already have searched the net for reviews of the two.

I haven't heard the DX100, but if I remember correctly the HM-901 is supposed to be more analog and darker sounding. Do you like milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Your taste may be different than the reviewers.

I compared my HM-901 (line out, playing from SD card) to my big and heavy Audio-gd Reference 7.1 DAC and the differences are surprisingly subtle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy-no-ear View Post

I have both DX100 and HM901. To my own ear, hm901 worth the price difference sound wise. DX100 sounds good enough with plenty of detail, but HM901 has better sound stage and more engaging vocal and more energetic instrumental.

Thanks for sharing.
I have been reading a lot about both players,
They both seem to be top of their game.
There are other like the new fiio X5 or even Sony, but I think they are not powerful enough to be a single box solution like the DX100 or 901.
Will keep looking. I have a hard time making decisions gear wise... smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!
post #2708 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy-no-ear View Post

I have both DX100 and HM901. To my own ear, hm901 worth the price difference sound wise. DX100 sounds good enough with plenty of detail, but HM901 has better sound stage and more engaging vocal and more energetic instrumental.

+1

I have both too. And I agree.
post #2709 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post

Actually, someone told me long back that using LOD with external portable amp would consume more battery. Hence, i stopped looking for portable amp.....


That makes no sense.  What is the reasoning behind the HM-901 using more power using the line out only?  Especially if you remove the Amp Card entirely.

post #2710 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood View Post


That makes no sense.  What is the reasoning behind the HM-901 using more power using the line out only?  Especially if you remove the Amp Card entirely.
If the line out gives "line level" it would use more power.
post #2711 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermelom View Post


If the line out gives "line level" it would use more power.

 

Ah, I see.  Perhaps with other players that have a relatively weak headphone amp internally, I'm sure that's true.  But in the Case of the HM-901, likely not, especially with the Balanced Amp card.

post #2712 of 3252
In fact, x3/x5/dx50 type dap get better battery life when using line out, whereas zx-1, idevice and hm901 type dap that uses LOD would consume more battery...
post #2713 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood View Post

Ah, I see.  Perhaps with other players that have a relatively weak headphone amp internally, I'm sure that's true.  But in the Case of the HM-901, likely not, especially with the Balanced Amp card.
Before I got my preamp I plugged the HM901 with line out straight to the amp... It was so loud and without the chance to turn down the volume that I unplugged it after less than five seconds... Line level it would be like using all the power in continuous indefinitely... :-)
post #2714 of 3252
I was hoping the remote of the hm901 dock would show the display of hm901 remotely and I can navigate the library without moving an inch... Lol
I need to dream less
post #2715 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermelom View Post


Before I got my preamp I plugged the HM901 with line out straight to the amp... It was so loud and without the chance to turn down the volume that I unplugged it after less than five seconds... Line level it would be like using all the power in continuous indefinitely... :-)


Yeah, that's true.  I noticed the line out in the HM-901 is noticeably louder than the HM-801.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear