The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jan 26, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #2,342 of 3,220
So if I lifted the pads on the green arrow can I still solder on the red ones?

Will it work?

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #2,343 of 3,220
hey fallenangel,

i managed to resolder everything using a 32 awg copper coated with silver and it worked..

the only problem is that the wheel became not as sturdy.. like it became loose..

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #2,345 of 3,220
Hi chaps, been a while since I frequented this thread, great to see that it's still alive and kicking 
biggrin.gif

I have a request before I delve back into my 5G again.

Is there anyone here with a scrapped 5G board? Toasted or otherwise that could do some investigative work?
... or are willing to pop it in the post?

I'm going to change my line-out wires to use pins 14 & 17 but I'm not 100% sure that they are 'unconnected'.
Take pin 7 for instance, that is said to be unconnected (or 'reserved' is the current terminology) BUT is definitely connected to something as you can trace the tracks around the board.

Pins 14 & 17 seem free but what's happening under that connector?
I don't want to send AC & DC down the pins if they are connected to something that wont like it 
eek.gif

OK, I could lift the pins before I connect to them but soldering to them and lifting them (without damaging the neighboring pins) are two different things

Is anyone willing to lift the connector off a dead board for me so we can take a look?

PS: there is a good reason for me to do this, and I'll post the results if I do it....

Cheers guys

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #2,347 of 3,220
Hi fallenAngel
Like I said, lifting those pins without damaging the one's next to them would be another challenge :wink:

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #2,348 of 3,220
Right... couldn't wait so just soldered them on and closed the case... turned it on and......
Sad face 
frown.gif

Ah well, I popped it into diagnostics mode and checked all the functions
Seems it affects the Harddrive in some way..... maybe a direct input that could be utilised in future?

Anyway, I opened it back up, desoldered... and now it's back to normal
biggrin.gif

So there you go guys, a practical demonstration that you cant directly solder to pins 14 & 17.
Maybe I could break the connection to the board first but that is incredibly fiddly to do and you could easily damage the USB pins next to them.

I may give it a go tomorrow... we'll see how brave I'm feeling

Later guys

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #2,349 of 3,220
hmm..few months ago i misdesoldered a component in my ipod photo 30gb's pcb, then i lost that component. then in the end i managed to do the diymod successfully by soldering the wire to caps R904 i believe? everything worked fine few months ago, until my ipod keeps on showing error OS lately..

i wonder does this have anything to do with the components i removed few months ago and leave it open circuit? this is the components that i removed and didn't solder back (marked in purple are):

do you guys think it was because i desoldered that 'components'? what can you advise me now to fix this problem? really hoping to get some responds on this..

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #2,351 of 3,220

Quote:
hmm..few months ago i misdesoldered a component in my ipod photo 30gb's pcb, then i lost that component. then in the end i managed to do the diymod successfully by soldering the wire to caps R904 i believe? everything worked fine few months ago, until my ipod keeps on showing error OS lately..

i wonder does this have anything to do with the components i removed few months ago and leave it open circuit? this is the components that i removed and didn't solder back (marked in purple are):
do you guys think it was because i desoldered that 'components'? what can you advise me now to fix this problem? really hoping to get some responds on this..

help, anyone?

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #2,352 of 3,220
Hi i_djoel2000
Well those are the microphone-in blocking caps so I see no reason why they would affect anything.
It's more likely that a cable/connector is worn and showing an intermittent fault
.... or even the HD itself has developed a lot of bad sectors.(my bet is on that)
Try cleaning all the connectors with isopropanol or similar alcohol based fluid.
(be careful not to get it on the LCD)
If you go into diagnostics mode you may find the source of the error there.

Good luck

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #2,353 of 3,220

Quote:
Hi i_djoel2000
Well those are the microphone-in blocking caps so I see no reason why they would affect anything.
It's more likely that a cable/connector is worn and showing an intermittent fault
.... or even the HD itself has developed a lot of bad sectors.(my bet is on that)
Try cleaning all the connectors with isopropanol or similar alcohol based fluid.
(be careful not to get it on the LCD)
If you go into diagnostics mode you may find the source of the error there.

Good luck

thanx for the respond no_eye_dear!!  okay, broken hdd is one idea..but since before this error happened, i noticed this buzzing sound everytime my rockbox loads something..let say i'm entering my music menu from the main menu, then this buzzing sound came out! i thought this have something to do with the missoldered thingy? from your statement, it seems not..

i'll go into diagnostic mode to fix the error, but there is one question..is it normal for diymod ipod photo for emitting buzzing sound like that?

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #2,354 of 3,220
Hi, never done the photo, but my 4G didn't have any 'buzzing' at all.... before it got stolen
frown.gif

Sounds like interference from the OS.... where did you route the wires when doing the mod?
Is there a chance that the wire could be shorting to something on the board?
Or at least coming close enough to the processor to cause interference?

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #2,355 of 3,220

Quote:
Hi, never done the photo, but my 4G didn't have any 'buzzing' at all.... before it got stolen
frown.gif

Sounds like interference from the OS.... where did you route the wires when doing the mod?
Is there a chance that the wire could be shorting to something on the board?
Or at least coming close enough to the processor to cause interference?

i lifted the left signal pad near the DAC chip, so i soldered the wire directly to pin 16 in WM8975 chip. the right wire is soldered normally to the usual pad mentioned in the joneeboi's manual

how could OS have anything to do with the buzzing sound? i'm using rockbox, when the original apple firmware is used, the buzzing sound gone..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back