The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jan 16, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #2,326 of 3,220
Anything thicker than the traces Apple uses for the audio will be fine. There's so little current passing through those wires at such low frequencies that you don't really have to worry about ampacity or heat dissipation. You should shift your focus more to aspects of the wire such as insulation thickness, ease of use, cost, length when ordering, etc. Consider that the amplified signal ultimately passes through the headphone coils which reside in the neighbourhood of 40AWG or so, IIRC.

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #2,327 of 3,220
I am currently using cerafine as the coupling capacitors for the DAC, i'm trying to fit them inside the iPod easily, working with silver wire was a breeze when soldering due to the stiffness and heat conductivity, however cable management within the case is a pain since the cable is stiff and has memory to kinks. 

Would you recommend that I switch to Silmic II caps? (if so where's the best place to order a few in Canada?). I'm also wondering about internal caps within a LOD. and whether it would be feasible to fit them inside the LOD housing of a Fiio E1. 

Fiio E1 internals here: (not sure whose picture I am using)

Cheers

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #2,328 of 3,220
I'm finally screwing up sufficient courage to attempt the mod.  I've got a 5g 30gb (already replaced with 32gb CF card), and I'd like to try and fit the caps internally.  I've got the silmic IIs that look like they should fit.

My question, just to make sure:  How should I connect the caps and wires?  Is this right?  South pad of Z caps -> + leg of caps, - legs of caps to  south pads of L2/L3.

fishline

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #2,329 of 3,220

Quote:
I'm finally screwing up sufficient courage to attempt the mod.  I've got a 5g 30gb (already replaced with 32gb CF card), and I'd like to try and fit the caps internally.  I've got the silmic IIs that look like they should fit.

My question, just to make sure:  How should I connect the caps and wires?  Is this right?  South pad of Z caps -> + leg of caps, - legs of caps to  south pads of L2/L3.

fishline

From what I have read through the pages, that is correct. However jonnyboi has also said that the + leg is just for convention, (therefore -'ve leg should work fine as well).

Where did you get your Silmic II's and how much was the total order?

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #2,330 of 3,220

Quote:
From what I have read through the pages, that is correct. However jonnyboi has also said that the + leg is just for convention, (therefore -'ve leg should work fine as well).

Thanks for the confirmation.  I got the caps here, under $1 a piece: electronics-diy

Jan 22, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #2,331 of 3,220

Quote:
Quote:

fishline

that only works on bipolar caps, which in silmic case, it is not. you have to connect the + leg to z caps

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #2,333 of 3,220
I would like to use the internal amplifier of 5G and to replace the stock coupling capacitors with Black Gates. Should I remove the "Z" caps on the picture below and to solder Black Gates at their place? Are these the coupling caps to the headphone out?

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #2,336 of 3,220
hey guys..

i just did the mod and placed back everything and there was no sound coming out of my headphone jack,,

i did it with my ipod video 5.5g but i have not managed to try it out with a LOD with caps..

the headphone out from my ipod video should work but i wasnt therefore i suspect that it would not work even using the LO..

Can anyone help here?

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #2,338 of 3,220
Thanks fallenangel for the reply..

If the headphone out is not touched, and there is no sound after I mod it, does it mean that I have damaged my iPod causing it to not work anymore?

I will post pictures asap.

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #2,340 of 3,220

Instead of soldering onto the red arrows.. I soldered on the green arrow as there is more space..

Btw, what does lifting pad means? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back