The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Dec 28, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #2,311 of 3,220
Just did the ipod photo mod. Not a lot of details here. Here' some pics:

http://macintoshhowto.com/hardware/how-to-imod-a-4th-gen-ipod-photo.html

I also found this pair of outputs on the other side of the board - the wolfson chip has two pairs of outputs - maybe this pair is going to the dock line out???  I didn't use them. 

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #2,312 of 3,220
I was browsing through the pages and found a post saying that we should not use polarized caps...

will it damage our equipment if we use polarized caps?

and a lot of ppl are using elna selmic ii.. if im not wrong that is a polarized cap, so can i use that?

and does bi-polar means non-polar?

thanks!

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #2,317 of 3,220
Wow, I've done it.... read all 155 pages! Am exhausted! :)

All makes perfect sense.... questions...

Can I mod my...
a. iPhone 3G ?
b. iPad ?

If not then it's buy a new source time! :frowning2: ....correct me if I'm wrong but sounds like a 5G ipod which has more internal room would be the sensible choice!?

Thanks all, fantastic thread  and contributions especially everyones new mate... joneeboi ! :)

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #2,322 of 3,220
The 4g has more room then the 5g. You would need to do the compact flash card mod to the 5g to fit the caps inside. I don't believe that the iPhone 3g or the iPad have high end DAC that this mod is taping in to.

Quote:
Wow, I've done it.... read all 155 pages! Am exhausted! :)

All makes perfect sense.... questions...

Can I mod my...
a. iPhone 3G ?
b. iPad ?

If not then it's buy a new source time! :frowning2: ....correct me if I'm wrong but sounds like a 5G ipod which has more internal room would be the sensible choice!?

Thanks all, fantastic thread  and contributions especially everyones new mate... joneeboi ! :)

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #2,324 of 3,220
I thought this question had been asked before but not sure, could someone please either point me to the post or explain  the minimum/maximum gauge of wire used in the Ipod DIY mod, and is this recommendation valid for the ipod mini, 4th gen and 5th gen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back