The All New Earsonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion and Review Thread!
Aug 9, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #437 of 1,380

Quote:
Thanks shane for your comparison, I concur with most of what you said about the SM3. I wonder, you didn't mention detail resolution at all. Does that mean detail is on par in your opinion? Just asking, because detail resolution was one striking aspect where the SM3 "smoked" the SE530 when I compared them. Therefore the SE535 must have noticably improved detail as compared to the SE530 if they are able to keep up with the SM3, something I don't remember reading in the SE535 thread.

Thanks james444. Details and clarity are part of what make the SE535 so amazing. They are open and airy and crisp and put out amazingly high resolution. The SM3 does not, but that is neither good nor bad, it just is. I loved the sound of the HD600, and other than the slammin' bass of the SM3, they have a similar sound. But I would not call the HD600 the most detailed can. It's amazing in it's 'acoustic' quality, as are the SM3's, and they are perfect for smoothing out the roughness of artifacting from highly compressed MP3's.

Where this is most evident is in the upper-mids, where a lot of the most apparent 'detail' lies. When I think of detail, it's mostly mids and upper-mids that come to mind. This is really where the SE535 soars. These two are mostly on par in the upper-highs (8khz and up). And certainly in bass detail the SM3 'destroys' the SE535. 
wink_face.gif

So no... I don't think detail is on par. I think if the SM3 'smoked' the SE530 in that regard, then the SE535 would REALLY 'smoke' the SE530. 
ksc75smile.gif

Hope I answered your question...

shane

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #438 of 1,380

Quote:
@Shane55 I love your review style, you have nailed what it is about the SM3 I love and why I am glad I haven't tried the SE535. I think you have nailed the signature down pretty much to a tee on the SM3 and while I would like a bit more treble, with the right tips they are very close to perfect for me. I like sonorous in alot of my music and find you can't get bright and sonorous at the same time or at least not in anything I have tried yet. If I really miss a bright signature I hope the MTPC will fill that void and if not I may after hearing your take along with other posters like slaters70 and LFF decide to get a pair of DBA2. But in my case the need for that sound is in the minority enough I know the SM3 will be my go to IEM for a long time. The cool thing with your review is you help people make a choice based on what they like to hear versus trying to declare one IEM better than another. I hope alot of buyers are reading your post as I do think (at least from the SM3 side) you have nailed the signature down.

Thanks dweaver. What actually surprised me more than anything was the change through break-in.
When I first got them, I first tried the bi-flange's that come with them. I thought, if this is any indication of how they are going to sound going forward, they'll be in the FS forum within two days. But today I tried those tips again... just for 'fun', and they sounded very good. Surprisingly good. Same tips, same test tracks. A world of difference. All break-in.

I still had my standard issues with microphonics with the bi-flange, but the sound had improved so radically that I can certainly see how so many like this type of tip. I really think the SM3 is a great IEM. I may wind up keeping them. We'll see once the DBA-02 comes in. 
wink_face.gif

shane

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #439 of 1,380

Quote:
And price... if they were within ~$50 USD of each other I could understand but for me the difference is closer to $200+.
I couldn't even consider the SE535s :/

That's for sure! And with the DBA-02 coming in at half what the SM3 cost, this could prove even more interesting... 
ksc75smile.gif

As the point of diminishing returns rises the word 'value' comes more into play.

shane

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #441 of 1,380

Hello shane55. I can't wait for your impressions on the DBA-02. I just found the bass too lacking when I had them as a loaner for like three for four weeks. Also, I found a lot of information missing in the mids that I become use to from the SM3, FX700 and DDM. The treble, however, was brilliant with those IEMs. I can't remember what tips I was using on them, but I wrote out notes and jotted them down somewhere, so hopefully that will remind me when I find where I stored my notes.

I am going to a second job locations and pick up my SM2 today; it is there waiting for me. I also just got notice today that the SE535 has been shipped, so I am still thinking tomorrow or Wednesday I will see them. I glad you found something to love regarding the SE535 and SM3. I am really worried about this lack of bass in the SE535, because I didn't find it lacking at all in the SE530, albeit not the quality and quantity that I hear from the SM3.  Anyway, thanks for your impressions again.
Quote:
That's for sure! And with the DBA-02 coming in at half what the SM3 cost, this could prove even more interesting... 
ksc75smile.gif

As the point of diminishing returns rises the word 'value' comes more into play.

shane

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #442 of 1,380

Quote:
Hello shane55. I can't wait for your impressions on the DBA-02. I just found the bass too lacking when I had them as a loaner for like three for four weeks. Also, I found a lot of information missing in the mids that I become use to from the SM3, FX700 and DDM. The treble, however, was brilliant with those IEMs. I can't remember what tips I was using on them, but I wrote out notes and jotted them down somewhere, so hopefully that will remind me when I find where I stored my notes.

I am going to a second job locations and pick up my SM2 today; it is there waiting for me. I also just got notice today that the SE535 has been shipped, so I am still thinking tomorrow or Wednesday I will see them. I glad you found something to love regarding the SE535 and SM3. I am really worried about this lack of bass in the SE535, because I didn't find it lacking at all in the SE530, albeit not the quality and quantity that I hear from the SM3.  Anyway, thanks for your impressions again.

Ya know... just 'cause they didn't produce the oomph in the bass that the SM3 did for me, doesn't mean that everyone who plugs them into their ears will have the same response. They may work just fine for you. You'll find out soon enough! 
ksc75smile.gif

Good luck with the SM2's...

shane

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #443 of 1,380
True enough. One thing that is abundantly clear in head-fi.org - over and over - is that two people can have the exact same iem and tips, inserted at the same depth level and still hear things totally different. But you're not the only one I've seen comment on seemingly lack of bass in the SE535. So there lies my concern. Maybe this is the result of more high end extension? Regardless, as you stated, I will find out soon enough for myself. 

Quote:

Ya know... just 'cause they didn't produce the oomph in the bass that the SM3 did for me, doesn't mean that everyone who plugs them into their ears will have the same response. They may work just fine for you. You'll find out soon enough! 
ksc75smile.gif

Good luck with the SM2's...

shane

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #444 of 1,380

Quote:
I think I've found the best tip ever for my SM3.

After following the advice for snipping off the excess foam from the regular comply foams, I was thinking, why not try the "do-it-yourself" foams that I found here.

So I bought some of the Mack's brand SafeSound earplugs, and went ahead and tried the process.

I had some yellow shure foamies lying around, so I took the core out of those. Then after several trial-and-error attempts (it's hard to get the right sized hole in the foam, particularly because they compress so easily), I was finally able to get the perfect fit.

Boy, do these sound fantastic on the SM3. With the core coming out a bit further than the foam, this allows the highs and treble to never get muffled by the foam. Furthermore, the seal is so excellent that it can barely be felt, and the bass is (to my ears) actually even more controlled and clean (not as muddy as with regular comply foams).

I think I've found my holy grail for tips! As you can see from the picture, the core is slightly protruding out of the foam, which preserves the highs and treble, while still delivering a clean, tight bass. Here is a size comparison to the normal "long" comply foam tips that I received with my SM3's:

The smaller size really allows for the fit to be perfect--I can't tell that they are in my ears. These tips are definitely the best I've used so far with my SM3's (even better than the double-flange silicone tips that I received with my first SM3 order--before EarSonics had so many orders on hand and introduced a new silicone tip). The best part is--a pack of 10 pairs of earplugs is only around $5. That is a ridiculous price considering the cost of Comply tips! If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!
o2smile.gif

This is something that has definitely caught my interest. I love the bass and mids of my SM3's but I felt treble was lacking a bit and after reading this thread I'm glad that other people have found ways to adjust that. For whatever reason I can never get the rubber/silicon tips to fit comfortably, so foam is pretty much my only option. My question is, what difference does replacing the foam portion of the tips make? Is it purely for comfort or are there sq differences as well? Thanks!

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #445 of 1,380
So guys (and ladies) here is something interesting. I have been sitting here, finally, with the SM2 in my ears. These IEMs arrived with Earsonics new gray double flange tips already on them. They give you an extra pair plus two sets of of the complys that come with the SM3.

I have the clear SM2 version (comes in solid black too), and I noticed that the high-end driver seems to equal the size of the mid and high-end drivers in the SM3. I'm not sure yet if the low-end driver is the same size or a littler bigger than the SM3's low-end driver.

So with 20 minutes of the SM2 in my ears I have to say I liked them straight out the box much faster than I liked the SM3s out of the box. the bass seems to be about the same (maybe a tad bit more in the SM2), but the highs sound less recessed to me with the SM2. Vocals are forward, but less forward than the SM3, which isn't a bad thing.

The one thing I am getting, however, is that I hear the snare drums and middle range drums better than I do on the SM3, or I should say those drums seem to have more snap (which is one of the things I missed about not owning e-Q7 anymore). The sound seems more balanced with the SM2, but of course this could change since I am one who believes in burn in, even with BAs. So the SM2s and SM3s definitely sound like family members, but different. I haven't quite grasped all of those differences yet, but I know at least that I like SM2 too, and it's not a carbon copy of the SM3. And I can't say that the SM3 blows the SM2 away, which concerns me a little bit since I spent $160 more for the SM3 than I did for the SM2.

Do I regret the SM3 purchase? No, but those who are getting it for $300 are definitely getting a way bang-for-the-buck value than I got when I purchased mine. It doesn't matter if you enjoy the sound of your purchase. Of course, more detailed comparisons later (and I should have the SE535 tomorrow or Wednesday). But the SM2 seems to have been a great buy for $225 brand new. I'm not disappointed at all.

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #447 of 1,380
LOL  @ luco. You know that's my style. Well, the treble, as I said, sounds less recessed than they do with the SM3. Mids are way more forward on the SM3 than the SM2, not to say the SM2's mids are recessed - its not. I don't really understand the difference between tingly and sparkly when I read in this forum since me liking - and paying attention to - treble is a faily new phenomenon for me. I will have to do so more listening, my friend, and get back to regarding the treble

Quote:
@ nice initall impressions @ ericp , see i new you wanted to do some 
wink_face.gif
 ,so how is the treble on the sm2 compared to the sm3 , dose it have the same tingly sound to it ?

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #449 of 1,380
@ ericp10.
Nice initial impressions. Very curious about these (though not on my 'must purchase' radar) and how they ultimately compare to the SM3. Keep the reviews coming.

Am eagerly awaiting your SE535 v. SM3 review.
popcorn.gif

shane

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #450 of 1,380
@eric: even before the SM3 gained popularity here I always thought that the difference between the SM2 and SM3 was small based on the reviews on them. From my readings they are similar but the main differences is that the SM2 is harder to drive and hisses more. Is that correct from your initial impressions? Of course you do need more time with the SM2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back