The All New Earsonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion and Review Thread!
Jul 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #16 of 1,380

Quote:
crumpler-

Sweet setup. Finding that point of satisfaction is awesome, no? My rig is uber-simple too. 

That's what I'm using as well and it sounds fantastic, although I do swap with the s:flo2 now and then, until the UI drives me insane and I go back.  I do use the Earsonics double flanges (thanks a lot Bennyboy, much appreciated) and they seem to be the perfect tip for me, although the RE0 doubles also sound virtually as good.

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #17 of 1,380
Nice setup's all.
With this new thread (thanks iponderous) I'm once again getting excited about ownership (soon... but not soon enough!), and membership.
wink_face.gif

shane

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #18 of 1,380
i just recieved my SM3s today.. i must say that it's a whole different ballgame compared to my old TF10s (which i had to sell to finance these).. gonna give it a couple more hours of listening before i say anything else about the sound..

but for starters i'm not missing my TF10s..  :p

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #19 of 1,380

Quote:
Nice call iponderous. The discussion about these does need to go on for sure. And I wouldn't say fickle, no. Just curious. I was curious about them too and clicked 'order' rather spontaneously I must admit, expecting to find the usual 'BA disappointment' in comparison to dynamics, but I was pleasantly surprised. 

I forget, is there a good resource to pick these up around your neck of the woods? 

No, not locally. Soundearphones.com would be the most likely choice. Now is not a good time to be developing an itch about these. We'll see.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #20 of 1,380
Nice photos @ cn11 and crumpler.
beerchug.gif

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #21 of 1,380
Iponderous can you put a link in your first post to the old threads start page so new comers can find that thread easily since Joe had lots of good info listed there?

Just a suggestion.

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #23 of 1,380
I just realized I'm going to have to hunt down my Futuresonics double flange tips and give those a try. I remember reading they work well with the SM3's. Project for tonight.... more experimentation. It'll be hard to top the JAYS tips for my ears I have a feeling though. 

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #24 of 1,380

Quote:
I just realized I'm going to have to hunt down my Futuresonics double flange tips and give those a try. I remember reading they work well with the SM3's. Project for tonight.... more experimentation. It'll be hard to top the JAYS tips for my ears I have a feeling though. 

You gotta try the Sensorcom large hole double flanges (man, I swear you couldnt make this stuff up) - they top the JAYS for me....not that the Jays are not ace on a stick, but I'm in heaven with these rudely named things in my ears.

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #26 of 1,380

Quote:
That's what I'm using as well and it sounds fantastic, although I do swap with the s:flo2 now and then, until the UI drives me insane and I go back.  I do use the Earsonics double flanges (thanks a lot Bennyboy, much appreciated) and they seem to be the perfect tip for me, although the RE0 doubles also sound virtually as good.

If you have the time, I would really appreciate it if you compared the X1060, S:Flo 2, and Sansa Clip using the SM3. I am specifically interested in the SQ differences between the 3 DAPs.

If anyone else can chime in on DAP synergy, that would be much appreciated. Specifically the S:Flo 2, Sansa Clip+, and other higher-end DAPs (Cowon J3, X1060, etc.)

Thanks for any and all help!

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #27 of 1,380

Quote:
If you have the time, I would really appreciate it if you compared the X1060, S:Flo 2, and Sansa Clip using the SM3. I am specifically interested in the SQ differences between the 3 DAPs.

If anyone else can chime in on DAP synergy, that would be much appreciated. Specifically the S:Flo 2, Sansa Clip+, and other higher-end DAPs (Cowon J3, X1060, etc.)

Thanks for any and all help!

[size=medium]
From memory, I owned the Sony X, the J3, the S:flo2 and a Clip (not the plus, but a Rockboxed v1) all at the same time with the SM3s. For my money, I would choose the J3 for a few reasons: EQ (in case you need it, I did), capacity (has the expansion card slot), format choice (plays flac) and has a pretty decent UI, plus good video capabilities if that means anything. SQ-wise, I also thought it sounded best among those players using HP out (but I could not listen to it flat, with no EQ, very dull and uninvolving). It's nice to be able to experiment with the EQ and the SM3s, rather than be limited (in terms of the Clip, unless of course you plan on rockboxing it). The J3 EQ gives you an incredible array of options.

As for the S:Flo2, I just felt that while it sounded very nice with the SM3s, I could just not get past the UI and its EQ is limited, but not bad either.

The Sony X is a relatively warm DAP in my view, and while it has an excellent EQ, and the synergy with the SM3s is good, you have to pay a premium for the broken browser, so it's very expensive relative to its limitations (no expansion slot, only WAV for lossless). However, I did like the EQ, which I needed for the SM3s (treble increase).

But you already have the S:Flo2, no?

With no EQ (if you don't like using one), I would choose the S:Flo2 or the Clip+ (rockboxed).

The strange part is I own none of that gear any longer, except for the Clip, but it wasn't that long ago.
[/size]

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #28 of 1,380
I have a Clip+.  It sounds pretty crap with the SM3s compared to the J3 and even the iPod Classic.  Soundstage is much smaller with the Clip and I dunno, it just isn't that impressive sounding overall.  Its been a while since I last used it, but thats my recollection anyway.

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #29 of 1,380

Quote:

From memory, I owned the Sony X, the J3, the S:flo2 and a Clip (not the plus, but a Rockboxed v1) all at the same time with the SM3s. For my money, I would choose the J3 for a few reasons: EQ (in case you need it, I did), capacity (has the expansion card slot), format choice (plays flac) and has a pretty decent UI, plus good video capabilities if that means anything. SQ-wise, I also thought it sounded best among those players using HP out (but I could not listen to it flat, with no EQ, very dull and uninvolving). It's nice to be able to experiment with the EQ and the SM3s, rather than be limited (in terms of the Clip, unless of course you plan on rockboxing it). The J3 EQ gives you an incredible array of options.

As for the S:Flo2, I just felt that while it sounded very nice with the SM3s, I could just not get past the UI and its EQ is limited, but not bad either.

The Sony X is a relatively warm DAP in my view, and while it has an excellent EQ, and the synergy with the SM3s is good, you have to pay a premium for the broken browser, so it's very expensive relative to its limitations (no expansion slot, only WAV for lossless). However, I did like the EQ, which I needed for the SM3s (treble increase).

But you already have the S:Flo2, no?

With no EQ (if you don't like using one), I would choose the S:Flo2 or the Clip+ (rockboxed).

The strange part is I own none of that gear any longer, except for the Clip, but it wasn't that long ago.

Thanks for that informative reply.

Yes, I already have my S:Flo 2, but I don't have the SM3 (yet). I am considering a Sansa Clip+ (mainly because of the portable factor). How big was the SQ difference between the 2?

I am also considering the Cowon J3, but I will probably wait for the price to come down, or the Cowon D3 (there are rumors, but no release date) to come out.

Anyone else?

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #30 of 1,380

Quote:
Thanks mate. Fresh snow!  No pissing please.

Let me start by saying my name is Ben and I'm an SM3aholic

I use SM3 every day, and I inject its liquid ambrosia into my ears using the Sensorcom double flange tips and Cowon J3 delivery systems.

I have no intention of quitting anytime soon.

Hey, that was really very funny! And being the second post on this thread made it even more so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back