The All New Earsonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion and Review Thread!
Oct 11, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #1,336 of 1,380
Sent my SM3s back to Franck for repair due to some channel imbalance and just got them back last night. The Sensorcom tips arrived as well and i never knew tips would have to much impact on IEMs.

I didn't have to trim the stalk off the Sensorcoms and they're way more convenient to use and offer more clarity than the comply's i bought. It's a brand new IEM experience for me!

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #1,338 of 1,380

Quote:
I was thinking the IE8 also, but it does lack the definition and the natural warmth gives it a veil, however I did think it had very nice timbre accuracy!  The FX700 might be a good bet with a more laid back sound and V shape frequency response.  Just EQ the bass and treble down a bit and you might be in business.  It does offer nice detail, but again, not as much as the SM3.  The SM3 is hard to match without going to a custom.

In my view the UM3X, CK100, UM2, IE8, SE535, & W3 are better sounding IEMs than the SM3 and none of them are customs.

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #1,339 of 1,380
The SM3 has now made me think seriously about getting a custom iem. The problem is there are too many choices.
wink_face.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #1,341 of 1,380
I've heard both the UM3X and the IE8 as well. And IMO, the UM3X and the SM3 are better than the IE8. While the SM3 is better than the UM3X. All personal preference of course.

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #1,342 of 1,380

Quote:
That's really a matter of personal preference at this stage.From those, I have only heard the IE8 (which I have and still like) but they cannot touch, even remotely, the SM3, IN MY OPINION.
wink_face.gif

Quote:
airwax said:

I've heard both the UM3X and the IE8 as well. And IMO, the UM3X and the SM3 are better than the IE8. While the SM3 is better than the UM3X. All personal preference of course.

I often - though not always - find the phrase "it's a matter of personal preference" somewhat suspect. Basically, I don't always think it's really a matter of preference and in the case of the SM3 I am convinced it's quite a flawed IEM (unlike the SE535 which seems to be intended to sound the way it does), but I've given my views already and won't rehash them now.

Still surprised to see how everybody tries to change the sound of their SM3s via different tips, modding, filters out, foam, EQ, prayer, and so on, and there are people - though not many these days, it seems - still believing, or wanting to believe, that the SM3s are the best thing since sliced bread.

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #1,343 of 1,380
I believe that the mods and tips are not reason to say that the SM3s are flawed. What it does is improve the sound of the SM3. The SM3 are already incredible for what they are. But if you can't get a good fit with a tip, then you'll be missing a lot. The filter mod was more of an experiment to bring out the treble a little more, not that the SM3 treble is bad. I think that they are good even with the stock tips, no filter mod, and no EQ. All other things are mere improvements to the sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #1,344 of 1,380
Of course its down to personal preference - to suggest otherwise is rank arrogance.

Quote:

I often - though not always - find the phrase "it's a matter of personal preference" somewhat suspect. Basically, I don't always think it's really a matter of preference and in the case of the SM3 I am convinced it's quite a flawed IEM (unlike the SE535 which seems to be intended to sound the way it does), but I've given my views already and won't rehash them now.

Still surprised to see how everybody tries to change the sound of their SM3s via different tips, modding, filters out, foam, EQ, prayer, and so on, and there are people - though not many these days, it seems - still believing, or wanting to believe, that the SM3s are the best thing since sliced bread.

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #1,345 of 1,380

Quote:
Of course its down to personal preference - to suggest otherwise is rank arrogance.

Actually, I'm not suggesting, I am stating. So, I guess that makes me, in your view, even more arrogant. Seeing all your previous posts on the SM3s on this and the older thread, I'll take your view as a compliment.

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #1,346 of 1,380
Ha.  Well, yes, you're arrogant. But then so am I.  But which of us is correct?

Let's have a poll!

Quote:
Actually, I'm not suggesting, I am stating. So, I guess that makes me, in your view, even more arrogant. Seeing all your previous posts on the SM3s on this and the older thread, I'll take your view as a compliment.

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #1,348 of 1,380

Quote:
Ha.  Well, yes, you're arrogant. But then so am I.  But which of us is correct?

Let's have a poll!

A poll? Well, I guess I haven't got that many fans on both the SM3 or SE535 threads, for obvious reasons. I see someone's already voted for Bennyboy71; didn't know polling stations were open already -- hurray!! Oh boy, am I surprised.

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #1,349 of 1,380
To quantify the issue of personal preference, how about we all do this hearing test in http://www.digital-recordings.com/.  Do their "professional test" which is still free.  Try different earphones.  The results are very interesting.  You can hear things better on one earphone than another.  I am pretty sure that affects how you perceive the quality and preference.  This may not explain it all, but at least is an quantitative analysis on what people are hearing.  Not everyone have the same ears.  Here are my results

This one is for the SM3

This one is for CX300

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #1,350 of 1,380
Does that show your left ear is better than your right, particularly with the SM3?

I might give that thing a try.  Does it go high enough to attract dogs and cats?

Quote:
To quantify the issue of personal preference, how about we all do this hearing test in http://www.digital-recordings.com/.  Do their "professional test" which is still free.  Try different earphones.  The results are very interesting.  You can hear things better on one earphone than another.  I am pretty sure that affects how you perceive the quality and preference.  This may not explain it all, but at least is an quantitative analysis on what people are hearing.  Not everyone have the same ears.  Here are my results

This one is for the SM3

This one is for CX300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back