The All New Earsonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion and Review Thread!
Sep 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #1,261 of 1,380
@Latent, to drift off topic just a tad, are those Sony's you show above open (in other words is that an open grill showing on the IEM on the right) versus completely sealed? If so does that grill allow much outside sound into the earphone?

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #1,263 of 1,380

Quote:
As good as the SM3 (damn customs is holding my SM3's up) is how does it compare to a decent full-size headphone like my Audio Technica ATH-M50?

I liked my M50 more.  AJ would disagree I'm pretty sure.  shane55 has heard both as well.

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #1,264 of 1,380

Quote:
I liked my M50 more.  AJ would disagree I'm pretty sure.  shane55 has heard both as well.

Interesting you would say that. I feel like the SM3 beats out many full headphones handily, even my favorite SRH840.

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #1,265 of 1,380
Like the SM3 more than the HD600. But have to say I just went to a head-fi meet and the BD T1 or the Denon D7000 both spank the SM3 as did the HD800 (but not a fan of the HD800 in comparison to the other two). But considering these all have an MSRP of $1000-1400 I would hope they spank the SM3. Personally I am thinking I will have to save up and buy the Denon's (they can be had for around $600 apparently if a person shops around), just really liked their sound. If Shane want's to step in a say a few words on this subject especially concerning the D7000 that would be very KEWL :)

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #1,266 of 1,380
You are such a bad liar. I remember someone saying they were done not too long ago..

Although I'm not surprised that you like the Denons considering you did have the IE8 as your favorite not too long ago.

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #1,267 of 1,380
@rawrster LOL damn hobby is killing me :). But the Denon's are a ways down the road as they are closer to a grand.

The thing that suprised me was how much more full and alive all 3 of the big headphones were in comparison to the SM3 and my Copper's (and any other IEM I have owned for that matter plus the HD600). I was sure the law of diminishing return would make me like them a bit but think, "I don't really need them". Boy was I wrong! These were being played through a little dot amp setup and another "entry level" amp system and they simply shined with both! The little dot rig was a DAC, solid state amp, and a tube amp. The solid state had incredible detail and the tube amp was super smooth and airy, so depending on what was being played they both were fantastic. The T1 was/is also super nice as it had much more detail than the Denon. If I ever win the lottery I would buy both. But having to choose only one I do like the warm smooth goodness of the D7000 more and bang for the buck it is a much better value than the T1.

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #1,268 of 1,380
I'm quite happy I haven't gotten into headphones yet. I'm not home often enough to warrant a headphone purchase but my wallet fears for when that day happens. I do have a good idea of what to get as I've listened to some of them although by the time I'm ready the market probably changes a lot. My wallet also fears expensive customs
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't heard the SM3 but isn;t comparing headphones to earphones pretty unfair? They are totally different in many ways. It's like comparing headphones to speakers

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #1,269 of 1,380
I have to say one thing. Once I was away from the head-fi meet and I just listened to the SM3 it didn't take long to be happy with what I am hearing. But budget willing, someday I'll buy one of those big boys.

Sep 30, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #1,271 of 1,380

Quote:
I'm quite happy I haven't gotten into headphones yet. I'm not home often enough to warrant a headphone purchase but my wallet fears for when that day happens. I do have a good idea of what to get as I've listened to some of them although by the time I'm ready the market probably changes a lot. My wallet also fears expensive customs
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't heard the SM3 but isn;t comparing headphones to earphones pretty unfair? They are totally different in many ways. It's like comparing headphones to speakers

And that is why I did not mention the top tier headphones. I just wanted to get a reference point since I really like my ATH-M50 except that I will never get the level of isolation that I want. It's good to hear that some people think the SM3 can stand toe to toe against my current headphone. At home, I never listen to earphones or headphones. I like my current speakers (Energy RC-70). Cheers.

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #1,272 of 1,380

Quote:
Can anyone kind enough to tell me 3 good reasons why I should get the SM3 as opposed to the IE8. Is the SM3 worth the extra cost?

1) More detail
2) The IE8 warmth causes the mids to be veiled
3) Much better bass and bass control
3a) Easier to drive

There are many things to like about the IE8, but the SM3 IMO (with the right tips) is in another league.  Plus, the IE8 for me had as many fit issues as it seems the SM3 has for others.  I was able to get around those issues with the IE8, but even then the SM3 was superior to me. 

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #1,273 of 1,380
 More detail is good for me. It's hard to find a good universal IEM with good detail on the highs, mids, and lows all at once. Usually one is sacrificed over the others. Still saving my dough for the big purchase. Thanks for the input
smile_phones.gif

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #1,274 of 1,380

Quote:
Like the SM3 more than the HD600. But have to say I just went to a head-fi meet and the BD T1 or the Denon D7000 both spank the SM3 as did the HD800 (but not a fan of the HD800 in comparison to the other two). But considering these all have an MSRP of $1000-1400 I would hope they spank the SM3. Personally I am thinking I will have to save up and buy the Denon's (they can be had for around $600 apparently if a person shops around), just really liked their sound. If Shane want's to step in a say a few words on this subject especially concerning the D7000 that would be very KEWL :)

Okee dokee...
Sorry fella's, work's been kinda busy and haven't looked at this particular thread too much lately... That said...

The D7000 is amazing and yes, spanks the SM3, but you'd expect that of something costing $1k list. Of course this is to my ears. (gotta say that nowadays 
rolleyes.gif
).
If you take the M50, depress nearly every frequency from 6khz up, you have the SM3. Actually, there seems to be a few bits of information still shining between 10k and 12k, but not much. It's kind of a Grand Canyon where tones go to die.
But... Now that so many have removed the sonic-death-filter in the nozzle, what I've read has promise. Apparently that little cork was sucking the highs. It certainly was the case for me. Too bad I got rid of mine before this mod came to light.

I don't think the D7k are worth 10x what the M50 goes for. Sure, the M50 has it's issues. Slightly recessed mids, claustrophobic soundstage... but otherwise an outstanding and inexpensive can. The D7000 does a whole lot right in terms of naturalism and warmth and acoustic sonority, but it is pretty far from neutral. That's why I have the DT880's... for neutrality, clarity and speed. I have the D7k for lush relaxation and romantic beauty. The M50's are for fun and mobility. I think the D7k is similar in overall tone to the HD600 (which I liked... a lot!), but excel in both bass and treble extension. The D7k has the clarity and crispness that the HD600 lacked. It also packs the wallop on the low end that the HD600 couldn't muster.

I can see why someone might compare the M50, or D7k to the SM3, but it's not a good comparison. Without the plug removed, the SM3 just doesn't have the upper mids and highs that these two cans have. In that regard the HD600 is similar as it rolls-off much earlier than either the M50 or D7k. But even the HD600 doesn't have the bass response that the SM3 has. For bass... the SM3 is outstanding.

I thought I'd like the D7000... just not as much as I do.

Hope that helped Mr. dweaver.

G'nite all. And this is my last post for a couple weeks. So flame away, you'll get no defense from me (till I get back).  
atsmile.gif

shane

Oct 1, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #1,275 of 1,380

Thanks Shane and that one statement nailed how I felt when I listened to the D7000. They just sounded a lot better than I thought they would, it was like they had the best aspects of the HD600 and the SM3 times two with none of either of their weaknesses. As for what I would pay to get them, it will have to be in the $600 range before I will be able to consider them and that's at least several months away (unless I get lucky on the lottery).
Quote:
I thought I'd like the D7000... just not as much as I do. ...

Hope that helped Mr. dweaver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back