The All New Earsonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion and Review Thread!
Sep 25, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #1,231 of 1,380
The first thought that spings to mind after reading the entire appreciation thread and listening to the sm3s for a week is how subjective the iem thing is.
In my first listening sessions,i went through many love-hate phases, mainly due to their unique character and my overwhelming expectations.
Now that their sound signature is "burned" in my head i can only describe them as ...natural sounding.There are times when all things click together (time,mood,seal,ambience and mainly music)
that make the listening session perfect.
Try to A/B them with another phone(even a cheap one) and they will sound veiled,lacking both treble and bass extension and ultimately thin.Listen to them in isolation ,after finding a perfect fit and
seal and your favourite music will sound just as is was meant to be heard, just as it was recorded. Agreed at 1000$+ there may be better phones to be heard but for common people and not the golden eared (mostly people who are deprived the enjoyment of simply listening to music) ,the already expensive sm3 is all you 'll ever need.

I also believe that i am the only one who prefers the standard double flange tips to the sensorcoms. The only mod i made is putting a spacer to the nozzle, to achieve a deeper insertion.

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #1,232 of 1,380
Hi, just picked up a a pair of these. I can see why people are addicted, though I find the sound a bit veiled. Currently using it with the stock flanges and an older iPod Nano as the source. Any suggestions to improve the sound? I'm considering getting the Sensorcoms. I'd really like to hear what these are capable of with a good source (Playback Designs) and amp.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #1,233 of 1,380
These are not improved alot by an amp but it will a bit. The sensorcom tips will definitely help, but the biggest chage you can do is pulling out the green filter and replace it with a very porous piece of foam as mentioned a couple pages back in the thread. I have the metal still in place with the foam and that seems just about perfect to my ears, others like taking the metal out as well but you may find the SM3 to become fatiguing at that point.

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #1,234 of 1,380

Quote:
Hi, just picked up a a pair of these. I can see why people are addicted, though I find the sound a bit veiled. Currently using it with the stock flanges and an older iPod Nano as the source. Any suggestions to improve the sound? I'm considering getting the Sensorcoms. I'd really like to hear what these are capable of with a good source (Playback Designs) and amp.

pair them with a more lively source or add a amp with rollable opamps so you can shape the sound more to your liking

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #1,237 of 1,380
I finally did get my SM3s and the Sensorcom tips. I will post my impressions after a few days. How much do you suggest the sensorcom tips be trimmed? I trimmed a pair down to the size of the stock bi-flanges... Should I have trimmed it less? 

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #1,238 of 1,380

Quote:
i was responding to the any suggestions to improve the sound part of the post in general, as for veil i do not hear any veil on the sm3 and never did even unamped strait from ipod 

Oh..that makes more sense then. I guess I read your reply incorrectly :p

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #1,239 of 1,380

Quote:
Oh..that makes more sense then. I guess I read your reply incorrectly :p

my fault properly ,i should have made it more clear what i was referring to specifically but one of my cats was trying to lay over my keyboard making a nuisance of himself making it difficult to type 
redface.gif

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #1,240 of 1,380
I definitely don't find the SM3s veiled. They are just thick. Maybe that gave the impression of it being veiled. Very much intrigued by the sensorcoms also, hope they arrive soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #1,241 of 1,380
I think you trimmed the tips right, I actually had a pair of tips that either were the sensorcom tips or ones an awful lot like them with my SM3 so I just trimmed the Sensorcoms the same way.

BTW I tried my cored pair of wide nozzle single flange tips today since I had not tried them since I changed the filter in my SM3 and man the Sensorcoms sound so much better for me. I had fun trying different tips and being creative etc. but the Sensorcoms make all that effort obsolte for me.

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #1,242 of 1,380

Quote:
I think you trimmed the tips right, I actually had a pair of tips that either were the sensorcom tips or ones an awful lot like them with my SM3 so I just trimmed the Sensorcoms the same way.

BTW I tried my cored pair of wide nozzle single flange tips today since I had not tried them since I changed the filter in my SM3 and man the Sensorcoms sound so much better for me. I had fun trying different tips and being creative etc. but the Sensorcoms make all that effort obsolte for me.

How about trimming it so that the stem is a bit longer? Does it change the resulting sound? I'm asking because I don't want to experiment on one of my remaining two pairs of sensorcoms...

Btw, did you notice anyhing in the bass department after replacing the stock bi-flanges with the sensorcoms? I might be making it up but in my case not only the so-called veiled upper midranges or treble came alive -just a bit- but also the sound got thinner as a whole, meaning some bass body has been lost.... It's too early though to say anything with certainty and I didn't have much time to a/b them thoroughly, so this is just a vague impression...  

Sep 26, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #1,243 of 1,380
Sorry, because my original dual flange is different than what is now included with the SM3 I can't answer your question. So another SM3 Sensorcom owner will have to answer your question.

Sep 26, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #1,244 of 1,380
Can anyone measure the length of the wire from the point where it splits to the point where its terminated at the IEM? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sep 26, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #1,245 of 1,380

Quote:
Can anyone measure the length of the wire from the point where it splits to the point where its terminated at the IEM? I'd greatly appreciate it.

its about a foot from the Y split to the IEM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back