The All New Earsonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion and Review Thread!
Sep 13, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #1,187 of 1,380

No.  Not sure what tips those are in his avatar.  The Sensorcom dual-flange tips are these:
http://www.sensorcom.com/product.asp?P_ID=1142&PT_ID=348

Quote:
Photofan's avatar is the SM3 with sensorcom tips, right?

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #1,188 of 1,380
No those are some dual flange that came with UE or Head Direct phones, but I'm not sure anymore. As they have a very wide opening, I had to put them on a decored comply tip.
They were the best sounding tips I've tried before the Sensorcoms. I should update the picture.

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #1,190 of 1,380
They should last for ever, given you don't loose them. They are an almost latex material and can be cleaned easily with water.
One pack contains 6 tips, or three pairs. I bought 2 pairs and think that was overkill. So one pack should be more than enough for one person. 

I have this photo which I took for the portable rig thread and I know there are other photos around - its just a matter of finding them.
I also think they match the look of the SM3s quite well.

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #1,192 of 1,380
I'm not sure if the stock double flange tips go by any name (I love them by the way). The sensorcom tips are quite similar, only differing in the stalk length (which you can trim according to your ear's liking) and the opening (the sensorcom's are wider). So far they and the stock flanges work best for me.

Quote:
What's the name of the stock double flange tips? Are they different from the sensorcom tips posted above? They look the same though.

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #1,193 of 1,380
The stock double flange tips also work wonders for me. But that wide opening of the sensorcoms can make all the difference with possibly increased treble energy.

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #1,194 of 1,380
Yes, I confirm that even if those look much alike, they have a very different sound, the Sensorcom tips having much better treble.
They have a kind of border on the outer side of the opening that probably tailors the sound.

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #1,195 of 1,380
Is the housing of the SM3 closer to Westone UM3X or W3?

Is the bass of the SM3 vibrant like for example the bass of Sennheiser HD 380 Pro? I love their sub-bass and I'm looking for something similar. I like the bass of my UM3X, but it's not quite that.

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #1,196 of 1,380

Quote:
Is the housing of the SM3 closer to Westone UM3X or W3?

Is the bass of the SM3 vibrant like for example the bass of Sennheiser HD 380 Pro? I love their sub-bass and I'm looking for something similar. I like the bass of my UM3X, but it's not quite that.

IMO, no.  Vibrant and sub-bass are not terms I associate w/ the SM3.  It has very good bass though but not to that extent.  My .02.  Haven't heard the HD380 or UM3X fyi.

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #1,197 of 1,380
The SM3 looks very similar to the UM3X. The only difference is the housing has less rounded edges. They are both were very comfy in my ears.

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #1,198 of 1,380
The bass of the SM3 is deep, resonant, and very controlled but is not impactfull like you would get from a dynamic based IEM (my Copper's have more impact for example) but I find they are the best bass I have heard in a BA based IEM and pretty much perfect for me and I am a bit of a bass head (Copper, IE8, and AT CKS70 are all past dynamic IEM's I have owned). I can not compare the SM3 to the UM3X though as I have never heard that IEM. What I can say is that in their default configuration I did find the SM3 to have a few small issues (for me) in the upper midrange/lower treble and to an even lesser degree the detail. The change of the filter in the stem of the IEM has resolved both issues completely for me. I have now been listening to the SM3 modded for several days and can not find any area I have issues with. This is the first IEM or fullsize headphone I have owned where I am completely satisfied. It took getting Sensorcom tips and the filter mod to get to where I am today but thats a small price to pay on top of the IEM in regards to effort to be satisfied. I am sure that a high end custom shell like the JH13 or one of the high end UE's along with fullsize headphones like HD800, BD T1 etc, are better but at what price! For me these just do it all without amps and without a $1500 investment on the phones.

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #1,199 of 1,380
I was selling these but tried the standard comply tips one more time. After putting them in, I find they sound much better to my ears over the double flange- more open, better treble presence, a little wider soundstage. Makes me want to keep them now. I still feel they are only a little better than my X10's (especially because of the price the X10 can be had for) but definitely better in several areas (mids and overall balance, acoustic guitars sound really nice). The X10 bass is still deeper and can give me that rumble I enjoy similar to the Denon D5000 (but not as good). Also, the secure fit of the SM3 make them more travel friendly- no fiddling with them once in- the counter to this is that getting them in and out is more effort especially when you have a wife or child asking you something every 2 minutes. I have some Monster Golds coming and will compare all three.

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #1,200 of 1,380
I have not been following this thread much lately, but the parts I have; wow!  If the SM3 really that fit dependent, or is it the angle of insertion, or manufacturing variance (which I highly doubt)?  I do have better stuff to listen to AKA the EM3 Pro and LCD-2, but the SM3 for my ears isn't blown away by those.  Filter removal/change, the X10 almost as good.  Wow!

What is the consensus on burn in with these?  I know from my experience that these changed over time since not only myself, but a friend both experienced it, and we used different tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back