The All New Earsonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion and Review Thread!
Sep 10, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #1,157 of 1,380
Oh head-fi! You guys are definitely not wrong. This are the best IEMs I have ever heard. They're perfect. I love the SM3. Thanks head-fi.
L3000.gif

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #1,161 of 1,380
WOW, people
blink.gif
I just saw The Light!

Until now, when I was comparing my SM3 to my other phones (IE8 and RE-252), each one has something to offer over the other. The SM3 did the most things right, but the RE-252 had better overall clarity and seemed more transparent. The IE8 wasn't really better in any area, imo, but offered more bass, and a different presentation (more space).

But today, after listening to the SM3 with the filter mod for a couple of days ( and without being able to fault them in any area), I made a quick comparison with my other phones.
The SHOCK! My biggest surprise is how even the RE-252 seemed less transparent and clear than the SM3 now! So basically, their only advantage over the SM3 is gone!
There is still more space in the RE-252 presentation, but that's a matter of taste, and I actually went from hating the "in the head" presentation to loving it now.
Compared to the Hifiman, the SM3 have much more bass impact. Bass speed is very good on the RE-252, but it lacks weight.

Now, compared to the IE8...well, really, the only thing those are doing better is maybe the very relaxed presentation. There is more bass, but it's sooo sloppy compared to the others two.
Midrange is coloured and veiled, details are really laid back, and the soundstage is nowhere near as large as the SM3 (cannot believe I say this!).

In a nutshell, I really feel like they are not in the same category. That's my personal impression of course, your mileage may vary.
But I strongly recommend trying this mod if only to hear what it can bring to you.
bigsmile_face.gif

Time to go back to some intense listening pleasure
ksc75smile.gif

Cheers

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #1,162 of 1,380
I own the TF10 with Enyo cable and Westone 2, heard the IE8, IE7, IE6, UM3X and some other iems. It's better than all of them, maybe on par with the UM3X, but only using the stock double flange tips on the SM3. As for my wallet? well until I crave for an amp. lol.

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #1,163 of 1,380
Grats! Welcome to the club. :D Glad you're enjoying the SM3s. 

Quote:
Oh head-fi! You guys are definitely not wrong. This are the best IEMs I have ever heard. They're perfect. I love the SM3. Thanks head-fi.
L3000.gif

Sep 10, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #1,165 of 1,380
I think several people who sold their SM3 would have been surprised at the change in sound this filter change makes. I could hear what those users were complaining about when my SM3 was in a stock configuration and they really no longer have those issues. The right sized and material filter simply raises the sound in the few areas the SM3 had problems with and removes any harshness that come from removing the original filter. Plus this configuration offers even more detail (but this does require some tweaking of the foam to get just the right amount).

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #1,166 of 1,380
Subbed

I was wondering if anyone uses the SM3 with a Zune HD unamped? How is that combo overall? This looks to be a stellar replacement for my Shure SE530s.
TIA

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #1,167 of 1,380
The tips really play a big part with the sm3s. The stock tips are horrible. Although i get very good sound from the stock dual flange tips, it's becomes uncomfortable for a long time. Now using complys and the single flange tips from my westone 2. It's so good, I can't help but sing.
etysmile.gif

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #1,168 of 1,380

Quote:
The tips really play a big part with the sm3s. The stock tips are horrible. Although i get very good sound from the stock dual flange tips, it's becomes uncomfortable for a long time. Now using complys and the single flange tips from my westone 2. It's so good, I can't help but sing.
etysmile.gif

Yes, tips are critical to the success of using these, that's for sure. I didn't have any luck with the stock tips either. I ran through all the options I have on hand, and landed on the standard single flange silicones that come with Monster Cable IEM's. But I had to decore a Shure black foam Olive, and put that plastic core inside the monster tips to get them to fit. But now that I've discovered that tip setup, they form the best seal I've ever had in any IEM, and the resulting level of isolation and fidelity never cease to amaze me. 

I agree with you, the sound quality I get makes me want to sing along all the time too, and I am thankful every day to have them to listen to during my long work days. 
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #1,169 of 1,380
Just got mine (from Wildcard30- thanks). I like them, very balanced. I have some X10's which I also like. I feel the bass on the X10 is a touch better (and deeper). They also have a bit more air/space. The mids are great on the SM3 though- much better than the X10. These are not detail kings but satisfying. The pluses- great fit with the double flange, excellent isolation (better than X10 on these). I don't have to mess with them once in like the X10 which needs constant pushing in to get the best sound. I can't say these are 2.5x better than the X10 given what you can get the X10 for these days but the fit, seal and mids make me want to keep them.
I will give them more head time.

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #1,170 of 1,380
@tim3320070 if you find yourself wanting the detail try doing the remove green filter mod detailed by photofan, if you like the added clarity but find it to be to much change then do the filter replacement mod I detailed. This will resolve that issue and increase the upper mids/lower treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back