The All Japanese Optimized Setup
Dec 13, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #33 of 46
Haven't we answered your question?

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #34 of 46
I'm the same way tc but switch Japanese to German.  I wish they wouldn't outsource their low to mid range phones to China.  I almost got k702s rather than 598s just because the k702s are still made in Austria as far as my research could tell.  Nevertheless, I'm liking the 598s just would love to proudly have a made in Germany label on them.

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #35 of 46

Quote:
Haven't we answered your question?

Not really. I'm still wondering why some people still think this setup has to contain all Japanese parts.

I just thought of something. I want to be able to enjoy my music so it isn't like analyzing it all the time and doesn't bring out the worst of any poorly recorded song like the K702, K701, and Q701 but I do want to be able to analyze it so I can hear individual parts. Is this possible for any headphones?

Dec 14, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #36 of 46
I think it is possible. I'm just not entirely sure myself, as my experience is limited to brief auditions and the few other cans I used to own. 

I'd say just go for the D2000 as a safe bet, as they're well received around here for your first 'mid-fi' cans. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #37 of 46

Quote:
I think it is possible. I'm just not entirely sure myself, as my experience is limited to brief auditions and the few other cans I used to own. 

I'd say just go for the D2000 as a safe bet, as they're well received around here for your first 'mid-fi' cans. 

So, D2000 would be the safest bet. Anybody want to throw in anything else? If not, I really need help finding some gear to drive this.

Dec 14, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #40 of 46
There should be quite a few D2000 amp/dac combos on the forum if you use the search bar.

Dec 14, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #42 of 46

Quote:
I'm aware of the 25ohm impendence but I want my stuff to sound good. I have all my my music in .wav or .flac all ripped from CD's. I just need some hardware now.

I've always read that the D2000's are easy to drive, but I never realized just how much of an understatement that was until I looked up the specs and the frequency/impedance graph just now.  It's not just 25ohm impedance but 106dB/mW sensitivity, and the impedance curve is very flat without any real spikes (the highest it goes is about 27ohms at 30Hz).  There is really nothing about them that says, "Amp required."  I might get flamed for this, since I've never heard them myself, but...according to the specs, the D2000 shouldn't even benefit from dedicated amplification whatsoever.  In terms of electricity alone, their juice requirements are more along the lines of cheap consumer headphones than typical audiophile headphones or studio monitors.  I'm not trying to make anyone rage, just maybe save you some good money.  EDIT:  Actually, I did forget something very important:  If your source has a high output impedance, you very well may benefit a lot from an amp...but only if it's a low output impedance amp.  That will allow you to correct an impedance mismatch between your source and headphones.

You might prefer some particular amp if you're trying to color the sound in some specific way, but other than that, any perceived benefits are probably due to the placebo effect (EDIT:  unless you're comparing a high output impedance source to a low output impedance amp).  If I were buying the D2000's as my first headphones today, I'd go for just the headphones themselves and hold off on an amp.  You can always buy one later if you're unsatisfied, and hearing the headphones first will give you the chance to decide what kind of coloration you might want to augment the sound with.

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #43 of 46
Agreed. Save the cash for a complimentary pair of headphones you might want later on.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #44 of 46

Quote:

I've always read that the D2000's are easy to drive, but I never realized just how much of an understatement that was until I looked up the specs and the frequency/impedance graph just now.  It's not just 25ohm impedance but 106dB/mW sensitivity, and the impedance curve is very flat without any real spikes (the highest it goes is about 27ohms at 30Hz).  There is really nothing about them that says, "Amp required."  I might get flamed for this, since I've never heard them myself, but...according to the specs, the D2000 shouldn't even benefit from dedicated amplification whatsoever.  In terms of electricity alone, their juice requirements are more along the lines of cheap consumer headphones than typical audiophile headphones or studio monitors.  I'm not trying to make anyone rage, just maybe save you some good money.  EDIT:  Actually, I did forget something very important:  If your source has a high output impedance, you very well may benefit a lot from an amp...but only if it's a low output impedance amp.  That will allow you to correct an impedance mismatch between your source and headphones.

You might prefer some particular amp if you're trying to color the sound in some specific way, but other than that, any perceived benefits are probably due to the placebo effect (EDIT:  unless you're comparing a high output impedance source to a low output impedance amp).  If I were buying the D2000's as my first headphones today, I'd go for just the headphones themselves and hold off on an amp.  You can always buy one later if you're unsatisfied, and hearing the headphones first will give you the chance to decide what kind of coloration you might want to augment the sound with.

Got it. So a Essence ST or STX should be more than enough for these. Thanks!

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #45 of 46

Quote:
It looks like the AH-D2000's won in the other thread.

Edit: I read on OCN that you can get op amps for free as a student. Anybody know about this?

I haven't been a student in a very long time, but I did get a sample dual (or quad?) amp from TI this year.  There was a form on their webpage to request one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back