The All Japanese Optimized Setup
Dec 6, 2011 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

test01101011

New Head-Fier
First off, new member! I'm from Overclock.net but not like that makes a difference here. I'm looking forward to what I hope a community just a friendly or friendly than OCN, no competition here. I will probably love both communities.

Straight to the main point, I'm looking for something to play lots of Japanese music, J-pop, J-rock, Vocaloids, Anime OST's and music included in openings and exits, etc. I don't want to break the bank so...$270-$350? $350's kind of breaking the bank but I think it caps a section of headphones. I can stretch that but not too much. I'm not looking for anything specific since I'm a noob although I'm getting sick of how all the instruments and vocals are thrown together in some blender and blended so they all sound like one massive blob. It's really annoying so I guess I have one thing to specifically to look for. I'm not a basshead. I've experienced enough bass to make it look like a monsoon came through a dirt wasteland that has officially become an enormous mud bath (Beats by Dre) and I don't want that. I guess it could be called audiophile's bass or something like that. I did come across this and stumbled onto another mentioned in there. I would say AH-D2000's immediately (as long as I get them on sale) but I actually want to do the research.

I'm also looking for something to drive these and purify the junk coming out of my computer(s) (although if the signal stays digital at best all the time nothing is ruined) with something great. I really don't want to break the bank so $230? I guess that's more than enough for a lot of options to drive something and get great sound quality (not best). I threw it in here as well because I didn't want to make another thread so sorry for the additional handful of words.

Edit: okay maybe I lied about the all Japanese thing, maybe. I use Dolphin. For those of you who don't know, it's currently the only Wii emulator out there. I don't like to play games like FPS. I might do small amounts of Dirt 3 but probably near none. Anyways, I love casual games and Wii is probably my most favorite console with my most favorite titles when it comes to casual games. I think J-pop and/or some other Japanese genres should cover this stuff. ex. Super Mario Galaxy music I guess is like the majority of Angel Beats and maybe some Black Rock Shooter music (like Yuusuo).

And sorry for the mouthful.

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 46

Audio GD NFB 12 - Dual WM8741 DAC and head amp ~ it's going to be very hard if not impossible to top this
for the money ~ approx. $200USD

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 46

Quote:

Audio GD NFB 12 - Dual WM8741 DAC and head amp ~ it's going to be very hard if not impossible to top this
for the money ~ approx. $200USD

First time seeing this. At the top of the list so far.

Looked at the reviews/head gear section and saw the Maverick Audio D1. Checked the site and they have the D1 and D2. Do these two perform well?

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 46

Fostex T50RP, Creative Aurvana Live, Sony ZX700, Audio Technica AD700, Skullcandy Uprock.

These are the best price/performance ratio headphones, if you want to spend all your money on a single headphone, Shure SRH-940 is all you need and excels at female vocals which are 90$ of what you listen to.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 46

Quote:

First time seeing this. At the top of the list so far.

Looked at the reviews/head gear section and saw the Maverick Audio D1. Checked the site and they have the D1 and D2. Do these two perform well?

Sorry about the lack of input on the Maverick Audio D1 ~ it's not exactly common on the ground over here and
 lacks distributorship in Australia ~ PM a user named 'Malveaux' as I believe he had one for awhile.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 46

Quote:

Fostex T50RP, Creative Aurvana Live, Sony ZX700, Audio Technica AD700, Skullcandy Uprock.

These are the best price/performance ratio headphones, if you want to spend all your money on a single headphone, Shure SRH-940 is all you need and excels at female vocals which are 90$ of what you listen to.

Thanks. I will take a look at that.

Quote:

Sorry about the lack of input on the Maverick Audio D1 ~ it's not exactly common on the ground over here and
 lacks distributorship in Australia ~ PM a user named 'Malveaux' as I believe he had one for awhile.

That's fine. I was told they aren't that good at OCN.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 46
Sony CD900ST

x2. you guys are noobs. he wants to be full japanese so no half-assing. everything has to be ''made in japan''. it's the ultimate accomplishment for any otaku.

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 46

Quote:
x2. you guys are noobs. he wants to be full japanese so no half-assing. everything has to be ''made in japan''. it's the ultimate accomplishment for any otaku.

Not completely. I love Japan and wish they dominated every corner of the electronic market but that's probably not going to happen in my lifetime. This is any weaboo's dream too. 
biggrin.gif

So no not everything has to be "made in Japan".

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 46
i was kidding around but i do X2 on the Sony's defiantly. you should look into them

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 46
I listen to a lot of Japanese music. J-pop, jazz, game music, anime music as well. But not limited to such things. :p I have AKG Q701 cans arriving today. My first higher end set since selling my HD650s 1 1/2 years ago. I'll let you know how it goes when I get a chance to use them after work. :)

Very excited to see how the new Nightwish album (Imaginaerum) goes with it. :D

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #13 of 46

Quote:
I listen to a lot of Japanese music. J-pop, jazz, game music, anime music as well. But not limited to such things. :p I have AKG Q701 cans arriving today. My first higher end set since selling my HD650s 1 1/2 years ago. I'll let you know how it goes when I get a chance to use them after work. :)

Very excited to see how the new Nightwish album (Imaginaerum) goes with it. :D

Would be very nice to know. :) Thanks! The Q701's are just a Quincy version of the K702's right?

Edit: I wish there would be a Japanese music reference headphone review site. For all Otaku's and weaboos out there.

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #14 of 46
Dec 8, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #15 of 46
How about Stax? They are Japanese. And extremely expensive.

Quote:
Would be very nice to know. :) Thanks! The Q701's are just a Quincy version of the K702's right?

Edit: I wish there would be a Japanese music reference headphone review site. For all Otaku's and weaboos out there.

Q701's are  Quincy version of the K701/702's. I've not used the original K versions so I do not know if they are much, if any, different. I've heard a few people say more bass impact and a little smoother on the treble. Whatever the case may be, they sound great even with only my FiiO e10 driving them. I hope to get something better eventually, but this will do for a few months. :)

Listening to some Perfume right now with them.

As for the whole weeaboo thing... Can't... tell... if... serious?.. D: What the heck?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back