The AKG K550 - My initial experiences and a review/comparison with the D2000!
May 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

zantif

Head-Fier
[size=10pt]*Disclaimer: I am not a true audiophile (although I definitely appreciate high quality reproduction of sound!), and these are merely my opinions. I'm only writing this review due to the lack of coherent information and mixed criticisms I found on the forums. I had a lot of help from other members, and this will hopefully help another member that happens to be in the same predicament as I was. That said, on to what I thought about the AKG K550! [/size]

PROs:
[size=10pt] -Great design, aesthetically pleasing.[/size]
[size=10pt] -High comfort.[/size]
[size=10pt] -Light clamp, yet decent isolation.[/size]
[size=10pt] -Almost no leakage.[/size]
[size=10pt] -Swiveling earcups for storage.[/size]
[size=10pt] -Does not require an amp.[/size]
[size=10pt] -Balanced sound.[/size]
[size=10pt] -Good soundstage for a closed headphone.[/size]

CONs:
 [size=10pt]-A bit large for portable use, and does not come with a carrying case[/size]
[size=10pt] -No detachable cable.[/size]

[size=10pt]So in case you haven't realized, I'm actually quite a fan of these headphones. Although they got many mixed reviews in other K550 threads, I definitely loved them. [/size]

My background and music preferences:
[size=10pt]I've lurked around this forum for awhile, starting my foray into the world of headphones with a set of ATH A500s. They served me well, but since then I've moved onto the HD598, D2000, and just today, the K550. With a lot of help and suggestions from fellow members of Head-Fi, I decided to take the plunge and try them. I consider myself to be a bit of a bass-head and absolute loved the D2000s. Yet, somehow, I like the K550s more! They are simply more versatile.[/size]

[size=10pt]I listen to a wide variety of genres. These days, mainly EDM/IDM (trance, house, drum and bass, etc.). Think Armin van Buuren, Dash Berlin, Tritonal, Dinka, W&W, Porter Robinson, Seven Lions, Noisia. That's not to say I listen to exclusively electronic music. I'll be running through various other genres I enjoy as well![/size]

[size=10pt]All my listening will be done through my E10, as well as my Sony NWZ-E345.[/size]

Initial impressions:
[size=10pt]The AKG only comes in a box, but like the headphone itself, it's definitely a classy box! Wonderful presentation. The headphones look even more beautiful than in the pictures...they're probably the best closed headphone I've ever seen, and looks good both on and off the head. [/size]

[size=10pt]Coming from the D2000s, I was shocked at the K550s lack of bass initially. Completely underwhelmed (I love my bass), I tried EQing them. This helped slightly, but I have to say if you're coming a bassy headphone, you're in for a big surprise. If all you need is bass, then these headphones will surely be inadequate and you should look elsewhere. I was so distracted by the lack of bass I couldn't concentrate on the qualities of the headphones until I became more accustomed to the sound signature. Once I got used to the AKG, I realized the headphones definitely do have a respectable amount of bass extension, but only when the track in question calls upon it. Again, I have to say it’s not up to Denon standards, but honestly, what other dynamic headphone is (certainly none I’ve tried)?[/size]

[size=10pt]If you're looking for a closed headphone with decent isolation and virtually no leakage, a very good soundstage for a closed headphone, great design, great comfort, airy and balanced sound, I have to say I think this might be the right headphone for you. [/size]

First listening session:
[size=10pt]This section will be a short chronicle of my first listening session with the AKG K550s. I’ll try to squeeze in varied genres with fairly well-known/mainstream artists so people may recognize them, but I’m quite partial to my electronic genres [/size][size=10pt]J[/size][size=10pt]. I’ll be running a flat EQ.[/size]

[size=10pt]Kate Bush – Wuthering Heights [The Kick Inside][/size]
[size=10pt][Pop/Rock] : 320 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]I really like this Kate Bush song; I’m not a fan of her later works, but this album is really good. The K550 plays the song with much more delicacy and intricacy than the D2000, allowing more detail to seemingly sift through, as well as giving Kate Bush more vocal presence. The song suits the K550 quite well. Not too shabby on the D2000 either, but I prefer the K550.[/size]

[size=10pt]Tool – Schism [Lateralus][/size]
[size=10pt][Rock] : 320 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]Wow, did I miss listening to Tool! Through the D2000s, I always felt Tool sounded way too bloated to be enjoyable. There was simply too much unnecessary bass for me. The K550 on the other hand, does it just perfectly. Quite a good song to start out my listening session with, I was afraid the D2000s would easily outclass the K550s in every category. The guitar riffs sound so good on the K550, untouched by the bass![/size]

[size=10pt]Regina Spektor – Fidelity [Begin to Hope] [/size]
[size=10pt][Pop/Rock] : 866 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]The K550s sound great on this song. Vocals are very clear and the piano/guitar plucks come through as very articulate. Bass does not intrude upon the lyrics, and there’s absolutely no bloat. I prefer the K550 over the Denons on this track.[/size]

[size=10pt]Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard – Why So Serious? [The Dark Knight Soundtrack][/size]
[size=10pt][Movie Soundtrack] : 320 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]Everything just sounds so clear! I can’t get over it. The K550s make string instruments magical, and drum hits are precise and striking. Without any unnecessary bass bloat, these headphones are very dynamic, and this track definitely shows it. Of course, the D2000 plays the sub bass “solo” section with much more authority, but the K550 is no slouch. I would say the K550 and D2000 are pretty evenly matched on this song. [/size]

[size=10pt]Dada Life – White Noise/Red Meat [Dada Life’s Musical Freedom][/size]
[size=10pt][House] : 320 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]Not much to say here. The K550s play the song well enough, but the D2000 outperforms them in every aspect I can see. It’s to be expected though, a house track with no vocals, and a juicy, fat bassline. It’s what the Denons are good at. If I EQed the K550s, it might be a bit of a better matchup.[/size]

[size=10pt]Massive Attack – Teardrop [Mezzanine][/size]
[size=10pt][Trip Hop] : 320 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]Great performance by the K550. The vocals of Elizabeth Fraser are hauntingly beautiful through these phones, rendered perfectly in my opinion. The sound is clearer through the K550s than the D2000s, although the bass of the D2000s is quite pleasing on this track as well. I feel that the K550s are ultimately a better fit overall, and the bass produced is more than sufficient.[/size]

[size=10pt]Pink Floyd – Time [The Dark Side of the Moon][/size]
[size=10pt][Rock] : 942 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]I’ve always felt the D2000 mids sounded a bit recessed for rock music. Well, I was right. In comparison the K550 handles this song with much more ease. All the minute details ring through, and the clock-filled introduction really shines through and displays this headphones fantastic imaging abilities. Really good song, beautifully reproduced through the K550![/size]

[size=10pt]Pink Martini – Sympathique [Sympathique][/size]
[size=10pt][Pop] : 320 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]This song also sounds great with the K550. The vocals sound good, perhaps average. But the strings, the guitar and piano sound fantastic. Very crisp and articulate. The muted trumpet solo also sounds especially lovely through the K550. The D2000 doesn’t stand a chance against the K550 for this kind of genre.[/size]

[size=10pt]Allagoch – A Celebration for the Death of Man… [Agalloch][/size]
[size=10pt][Rock] : 820 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]Solid instrumental song with prominent acoustic guitar here. As I expected, I prefer the presentation of the K550 for this kind of music. Crisp, clear, airy, whatever you want to call it.[/size]

[size=10pt]Paul Van Dyk – Eternity [Evolution][/size]
[size=10pt][House/Trance] : 320 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]This song sounds decent on the K550. Not much bass presence required, with more focus on Adam Young’s vocals, which actually come through quite well. The D2000 definitely has a meatier kick which is more fun. It gives the song a bit more life. I gotta hand this one to the D2000.[/size]

[size=10pt]Datsik – Fully Blown [Vitamin D][/size]
[size=10pt][Dubstep] : 320 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]The K550s impressed me on this track. Before I even listened to the song, I automatically assumed the D2000s would win due to the bassy nature of the song. Yet, while naturally the D2000s had better bass presence, sibilance killed the song! The K550’s highs were noticeably less grating on the high hats and snares, and the bass was definitely there. I choose the K550s on this song, although I can easily see others preferring the D2000s.[/size]

[size=10pt]Green Day – Welcome to Paradise [Dookie][/size]
[size=10pt][Punk Rock] : 320 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]I wanted to like the K550s on this song, but the D2000s simply had more presence. That’s not to say the K550s were bad; the D2000s were just better. In short, the K550s sounded exceptionally thin in this song, and it really doesn’t suit it (it sounded dead compared to the Denons).[/size]

[size=10pt]Noisia – Machine Gun [Split the Atom][/size]
[size=10pt][Drum and Bass] : 1053 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]I came in here expecting the Denons to dominate the AKGs, and that is basically what happened. Again, I’m not saying the AKGs made the song sound bad, but rather the D2000s simply have stellar performance in this field of music. The bass was more authoritative, and everything had juicier impact, both of which I really enjoy in drum and bass songs. Still, I was impressed by the K550s sub bass, which extended quite well with reasonable impact, but was no match for the D2000.[/size]

[size=10pt]Herbert von Karajan/Wiener Philharmoniker – Mein Vaterland/Die Moldau [Smetana Die Moldau][/size]
[size=10pt][Classical] : 656 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]This is a beautiful piece; one of my favorite western art “classical” compositions. I have to say, the K550s really excel at classical music, or music with strings in general. I just can’t compare the D2000s, although they reproduce the song quite well too. It’s a close matchup here, but I prefer the K550.[/size]

[size=10pt]Miles Davis – Seven Steps to Heaven [Seven Steps to Heaven][/size]
[size=10pt][Jazz] : 320 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]I thought the Denons did a good job at this song, but the K550 paints an entirely different picture. The piano, saxophone, and trumpet sound great, and just so airy and clear! I like the airiness, so this one goes to the K550. The D2000s did a great job too though.[/size]

[size=10pt]Joan Jett – I Love Rock ‘N’ Roll [I Love Rock ‘N’ Roll][/size]

[size=10pt]The AKG K550 suffers in a similar way with this as the previous Green Day song, it just isn’t meaty enough. The song needs more sustenance, a more fat sound. The K550 is just too thin. The Denons deliver in that regard. The D2000 wins me over on this song.[/size]

[size=10pt]Heart – Alone (Live) [The Very Best of Heart][/size]

[size=10pt]The AKG K550 sounds good on this song. Vocals come through nicely, as does guitar. From my experience so far, it seems the K550 excels in “softer” rock and acoustic guitars. It simply has too thin of a sound to be very good on a song with meaty electric guitar riffs. [/size]

[size=10pt]Dash Berlin ft. Emma Hewitt – Disarm Yourself [#Musicislife][/size]
[size=10pt][Trance] : 320 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]Very solid track on both the K550 and D2000. Or maybe I’m just biased because I love the song…but seriously I think it sounds great on either headphone. The K550 gives a slightly less bassy presentation, and its faster and more tight too. It might be a bit preferable on these vocal trance songs, giving the vocals more clarity and presence. All comes down to preference.[/size]

[size=10pt]Chicane – Thousand Mile Stare [Thousand Mile Stare][/size]
[size=10pt][Trance] : 239 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]The K550 really exposes low quality recordings, as I learned from trying this song. It was noticeably distorted, and the high hats sounded compressed and unflattering. Stick to 320kbps and higher if possible. Not a bad listen considering the quality, but could definitely be better![/size]

[size=10pt]Deadmau5 – The Veldt (8 Minute Edit) [Single][/size]
[size=10pt][Progressive House] : 320 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]A very good song on both the K550 and D2000. The K550 remains punchy, but has less impact on the kick than the D2000. For this song, I like both the K550 and D2000…but the D2000 wins out because of its “fun” factor and the energy it gives the beat.[/size]

[size=10pt]Cosmic Gate ft. Emma Hewitt – Be Your Sound [Wake Your Mind][/size]
[size=10pt][Trance] : 320 kbps[/size]

[size=10pt]Again, sounds good on both the K550 and D2000. For trance, I prefer a less overwhelming sub bass, so I have to give it to the K550. That’s just my preference though. The D2000 does the song just as well![/size]

Conclusion and comparisons with the D2000s:
[size=10.0pt]I won’t compare my HD598s to the K550s since the HD598s are open, but I have to say at the moment I prefer the K550s. Call me crazy, but the K550’s soundstaging rivals the HD598’s.[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Is the K550 a better headphone than the D2000? Absolutely not! It all depends on what you prefer. I would consider them evenly matched headphones. [/size]

[size=10.0pt]I liked the D2000s better for Drum and Bass and House music in general. The K550s performed better at Trance. Hard Rock goes to the Denons, but acoustic stuff sounds great on the AKGs. Classical also goes to the AKGs. Overall, I would say the AKG is more versatile. A great balanced “do-it-all” headphone. This is not a comprehensive review, not by a long shot, but I hope my observations and experiences are of some use. [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Some of my final observations are that the K550s are indeed as comfortable if not more comfortable than the D2000s. I feel that it clamps a bit more, and thus has less pressure focused directly on the top of the head. The pads are also very nice, and for a sealed headphone, my ears don’t seem to get very hot/sweaty at all! I also have to comment that the K550 headphones are less fatiguing than the D2000s; they’re less sibilant to my ear. I think that sums just about everything up. I’ll be selling my D2000s now that I’ve got the K550s…if I crave earthquake bass, I’ll simply have to settle for my HTF600s![/size]

[size=10.0pt]And if you guys want, I’ll put up some pictures. But I’m plenty busy (this review took way longer and is way longer than I anticipated) and there’s already plenty of photos on the web, so if no one asks I’ll just leave it alone.[/size]

May 13, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 20
Hey, fantastic review! Really quite nice, I must say. Loved the layout too!

I too, really enjoy the K550. As of now, I think it's in my top 3 of all time(!) I do see a lot of people mentioning how it's an alternate option to the D2000, but haven't really seen a full out review of it until now. Personally, I don't think the D2000 can match these. No way. Wasn't a fan of it's bloated bass, and serious lack of midrange. I did love them back in the day though, but my sound preferences have been shifting/evolving. But, I can see many users preferring the D2000 over the K550. It kinda depends on the music, but in my case, I still would take the K550 regardless of what is playing. It's simply a fantastic headphone and it's closed! It's hard to find decent sounding closed headphones these days...

I'll agree with you about the soundstage possibly comparing with the HD598 though. They are really that good...

May 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 20
Excellent review!  I haven't owned the D2000, but I did own the D5000 and I am currently a D7000 and an AKG K550 owner.  I must say that I really LOVE the K550.  As I have commented elsewhere (headroom review), it's as though AKG addressed all the major concerns about their headphone line with this one.  Non-bumpy headband?  Check.  More bass presence without bloat?  Check.  More solid construction?  Check.  What I love so much about the K550 is that these headphones are really practical.  In addition to sounding great, they are really solidly constructed, and can certainly take some abuse.  In comparing them with the Denons, I think you really do have to go all the way up to the D7000 to have a sound that clearly outclasses them.  The D5000 is more "fun" sounding in some ways, but Mark Lawton (of Lawton audio) is absolutely correct about the loose-sounding bass.  People who don't get good bass don't understand that the bass tone isn't really supposed to disperse and sound indistinct and flabby.  AKG gets it.  What I respect so much about the K550s is that they manage to have a full and punchy bass without overdoing it.  In fact, Tyll Hertsens of Innerfidelity discussed the fact that in terms of raw measurements, the K550s best all but the D7000s in the Denon line in terms of tight bass control.  For me, the K550 is a clear winner, for both professional and personal use.  Sure, it doesn't really compete with the D7000 in terms of overall sound, but for nearly $700 less (MSRP), you can't really complain.  A great value, and a terrific closed headphone all around.

May 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 20
I listen mostly to vocal trance. I've been considering the A900X (without amp) and the DT770 Pro 80 (with amp). Would you recommend the K550s (without amp) over these, and, if so, do you feel they're worth the extra ~$60?

May 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
Hey, fantastic review! Really quite nice, I must say. Loved the layout too!

I too, really enjoy the K550. As of now, I think it's in my top 3 of all time(!) I do see a lot of people mentioning how it's an alternate option to the D2000, but haven't really seen a full out review of it until now. Personally, I don't think the D2000 can match these. No way. Wasn't a fan of it's bloated bass, and serious lack of midrange. I did love them back in the day though, but my sound preferences have been shifting/evolving. But, I can see many users preferring the D2000 over the K550. It kinda depends on the music, but in my case, I still would take the K550 regardless of what is playing. It's simply a fantastic headphone and it's closed! It's hard to find decent sounding closed headphones these days...

I'll agree with you about the soundstage possibly comparing with the HD598 though. They are really that good...

Thanks for the comment! The soundstaging is great, and especially the instrument separation...I'm really liking the headphone too, but it definitely depends on the music you listen to. For most genres, I feel like I can get by with just using the K550.

Quote:
Great review!

Just ordered mine, hope they don´t sound too thin for my taste.

On some songs, they inevitably will...but for the most part I think you should love them.
Quote:
Excellent review!  I haven't owned the D2000, but I did own the D5000 and I am currently a D7000 and an AKG K550 owner.  I must say that I really LOVE the K550.  As I have commented elsewhere (headroom review), it's as though AKG addressed all the major concerns about their headphone line with this one.  Non-bumpy headband?  Check.  More bass presence without bloat?  Check.  More solid construction?  Check.  What I love so much about the K550 is that these headphones are really practical.  In addition to sounding great, they are really solidly constructed, and can certainly take some abuse.  In comparing them with the Denons, I think you really do have to go all the way up to the D7000 to have a sound that clearly outclasses them.  The D5000 is more "fun" sounding in some ways, but Mark Lawton (of Lawton audio) is absolutely correct about the loose-sounding bass.  People who don't get good bass don't understand that the bass tone isn't really supposed to disperse and sound indistinct and flabby.  AKG gets it.  What I respect so much about the K550s is that they manage to have a full and punchy bass without overdoing it.  In fact, Tyll Hertsens of Innerfidelity discussed the fact that in terms of raw measurements, the K550s best all but the D7000s in the Denon line in terms of tight bass control.  For me, the K550 is a clear winner, for both professional and personal use.  Sure, it doesn't really compete with the D7000 in terms of overall sound, but for nearly $700 less (MSRP), you can't really complain.  A great value, and a terrific closed headphone all around.

I completely agree! I haven't had the pleasure of listening to the D5000/7000, but I can vouch that I think these are technically superior to the D2000. A great reference phone. I'll definitely be using these for mixing/mastering.
Quote:
I listen mostly to vocal trance. I've been considering the A900X (without amp) and the DT770 Pro 80 (with amp). Would you recommend the K550s (without amp) over these, and, if so, do you feel they're worth the extra ~$60?

These are great for vocal trance. Bass is just enough: fast, tight and punchy. It lets the vocals sift right through beautifully, especially female. I haven't had the opportunity to try the A900X or the DT770, but the DT770 will definitely have more bloated bass than these, which may encroach on the mid range you want for vocal trance. 

K550s are great without an amp, but I can't say whether I would prefer them over the A900X or DT770 as I've never heard them. I can say that I prefer the K550s over the D2000s for vocal trance. The K550 also looks leagues better than both the A900X and DT770 to me, and call me superficial, but that alone might even be worth the $60 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
Did you have any difficultly getting a good seal? This seems to be one of the main complaints about the K550s in that larger thread.

Nope, not at all. Then again, it could be because these seem to fit my head perfectly. I have a slightly above average sized head, I wear these headphones on size 5 of the headphone band. This headphone seems to be relatively big, so I can see why some people with smaller heads (or maybe long hair, mines medium length) may have issues with getting a good seal. 

So in short, people with small heads, beware! Larger heads should have nothing to worry about though :)

May 13, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 20
i really like the k550s as well.  at first i thought they were light on the bass end, but i discovered that was just a result of not obtaining a good seal.  to really get them sealed i have to take my glasses off (or wear them tilted a bit), which is sort of an inconvenience but basically unavoidable with sealed cans.  the only thing i actually dislike about them is the long, fixed cable.  if i get into diy stuff i might end up trying to cut it and reterminate it so i can use a shorter cable.

May 15, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:
Great review!

Just ordered mine, hope they don´t sound too thin for my taste.

Agreed as some other posters. Some songs will be thin, but it is the content. They don't put bass that is not there. And some content the sibilance is much. But overall they make everything sound great.

I appreciate getting turned on to the Dark Knight track. Amazing listen.

I have been looking for tracks that showcase what these cans can do.
One of my favorites at the moment is Nickel Creek - Reasons Why. iPad no amp this song has such attack when he is hitting the strings on the acoustic.

May 22, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 20
Thank you the incredibly informative and relative post.

It's hard to come by somebody who includes my styles of music in a review, and I appreciate it a ton.

Thanks a bunch.

May 31, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #13 of 20
That was an excellent review, thank you very much. I have been looking around for some good headphones, within my budget, for a few weeks now. After a lot of reading I decided on the D2000s. But I found Denons hard to find for a reasonable price, either new of second hand, in Europe. Then I read about the K550 and they can be had new for under two hundred euros, the same price a pair of secondhand Denons would cost.

Anyway, the K550 arrived this morning and we’re still getting acquainted. But I still wonder how the D2000 would suit me. Your review helps me understand how the two compare, especially because you test them on a wide variety of styles, just as I will be using mine. So thanks again.

And hopefully, in time, I will feel confident enough to write my own review, albeit with less comparison material than some of the other members here 
smile.gif

May 31, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #14 of 20
Very well written and laid-out review. But I was puzzled by this:

Coming from the D2000s, I was shocked at the K550s lack of bass initially. Completely underwhelmed (I love my bass), I tried EQing them. This helped slightly, but I have to say if you're coming a bassy headphone, you're in for a big surprise. If all you need is bass, then these headphones will surely be inadequate and you should look elsewhere. I was so distracted by the lack of bass I couldn't concentrate on the qualities of the headphones until I became more accustomed to the sound signature. Once I got used to the AKG, I realized the headphones definitely do have a respectable amount of bass extension, but only when the track in question calls upon it. Again, I have to say it’s not up to Denon standards, but honestly, what other dynamic headphone is (certainly none I’ve tried)?

I always found the D2000 bass warm, bloated and indistinct. Like a blob that lays underneath every recording. You found this on the TOOL recording and you mention the K550 lack of bass bloat on other recordings.

May 31, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #15 of 20
Thanks for the replies everyone 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Very well written and laid-out review. But I was puzzled by this:

I always found the D2000 bass warm, bloated and indistinct. Like a blob that lays underneath every recording. You found this on the TOOL recording and you mention the K550 lack of bass bloat on other recordings.

I suppose I was referencing my inner bass-head cravings there, as I normally prefer warm headphones and don't mind a bit of bloat. The D2000s were perfect in that regard. On the right track, the bass of the D2000s surrounds and immerses you in a way I could not feel with the K550s. Yet I would still take the K550s versatility over the D2000s.

In a way that's the ultimate praise from a guy like me, someone who loves to have earth-shattering bass, yet is willing to forgo it for the K550s. I just like the headphone that much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back