The AKG Infomation Thread
Apr 9, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #61 of 231
Quote:
What other brands did AKG make headphone for?

Philips, Realistic (RadioShack), Uher, and Saba are the ones I know. To Philips they gave two distinct models, one of the Sextett and the other possibly of the K 260, but no one's been able to confirm the latter so far.

It doesn't seem to have been the case so much that they made headphones for other brands, but rather that they let some of their models be rebadged under other brands.

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #64 of 231
I'm really starting to enjoy my LP K240DF. It presents the music in a very honest way which is quite wonderful. It doesn't do well with all genres like the HD600 but for most of what I listen to its really great. Definite keeper in my book, along with the K400.

same thing i feel. i never part with my 240DF ever and will continue to be my all time favorite headphone. they just present music. they don't try to impress anyone. they just play the music. i like my sextetts lp midrange but i found everything else on my 240DF just sounds better and more refined(especially the treble) to me and the stereo separation on my DF's is just so nice and images very well. took me about 2 years though to finally settle down a perfect match for my DF's but i think i have it finally where i get the most performance from them. they're one of most finicky of the akg's i ever tried(never tried the k400,k500/501 or K1000).

some reason though in the past when i first discovered akg and vintage akg i always knew for some reason i wanted pair of DF's and scouted months and months for them. i don't know why. i was interested in the k1000 but it never drawn me in like the DF's. the HD600's has always got me interested though but i never got a chance to audition a pair or know anyone locally to borrow from. it's the only sennheiser i'm interested in...well technically not really now that i think of it cause i always want to hear the older 2000ohm hd 414 and 424 and of course the sennheiser Linear I and II as well.

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #66 of 231
all of modern akg's are still ''diffused-field'', even the k701 and Q701 are but in a different manner and not the same way the 240DF's were. 240DF was originally made to fellow a special standard for radio broadcasting and was done bit differently. i don't have any info on them besides the ones i scraped from the internet since trying to speak with akg's representative and get info of them was impossible. they just kept suggesting the k702,k702,k702 and ignoring my question so the DF's will always be a mystery. only other thing i know is the HD800's from sennheiser was gonna fellow same IRT standards as the DF's but was strongly recommended not to and sennheiser developed their own way for ''diffused-field'' equalization. i think the beyer DT48S fellows the same IRT standard as the DF's but it's near impossible to find them and only few people i read from the internet says they're very good headphone and very neutral like the DF's.

241 and 250 is interesting but if they're indeed identical to the sextetts then going by logic and assumption, i would think they're free-field instead. it can be possible the 241 and 250 was an experimented diffused-field headphone but i guess they really didn't fully introduce ''diffused-field'' till the DF's,which gave it it's name cause it was one of the first mass marketed diffused-field headphone. who knows. only thing i know is, older akg's sound darn good :D

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #68 of 231
i know. i fellow your thread on the vintage akg's and your measuring method and find it interesting.

well the sextetts are all different beasts altogether. they use bit bigger drivers,different materials on the drivers(there is 2 different ones in the sextetts. earlier models i believed used a shiny reflective dome driver, while later models didn't), and of course cause they were free-field equalized instead. i shared a cut-out document showing akg's method of equalizing and designing the sextetts here a few times. i would of uploaded it on the wiki 240 series site but i have no idea how, but the document does show akg using and mentioning the free-field method with the sextetts.that's the main thing that sets them apart from rest of the 240 line-up.

only thing that's similar to any of these 240 models is the name. some might share some similarities here or there somewhere in the sound but are defiantly different overall is my guessing and observation.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #69 of 231
Fitz posted pics of the Sextett drivers here – the LP drivers are indeed somewhat different.

I'd like it if someone measured the frequency response of a pair of LP Sextetts. I've seen measurements for EP and MP, both looked free field. The LP is a mystery until someone measures them (send your LP Sextetts to Tyll, people!). In fact, Tyll is probably just the man to swamp with loads of Sextetts to figure out the sonic differences between EP/MP/LP.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #70 of 231

Quote:
"I'd love to hear an early DF (from the mid 80s). My presumably 90s pair is less than stellar."

Between my EP and LP K240 DF, I am generally preferring the LP model which I'm finding to be more neutral across the frequency spectrum and overall cleaner sound. 

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Apr 10, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #71 of 231
Fitz posted pics of the Sextett drivers here – the LP drivers are indeed somewhat different.

I'd like it if someone measured the frequency response of a pair of LP Sextetts. I've seen measurements for EP and MP, both looked free field. The LP is a mystery until someone measures them (send your LP Sextetts to Tyll, people!). In fact, Tyll is probably just the man to swamp with loads of Sextetts to figure out the sonic differences between EP/MP/LP.

I'm a bit confused with you, Rex. You first said the K 241 and K 250 are possibly like the Sextetts, now you say the Sextetts are entirely different. I'm not getting something here...

yea i know. well i'm lost myself so i say it's possible the 241 is the same as the sextetts since the 241 was originally suppose ''sextett'' without the passive drivers and used as marketing for the france and european crowd. it can be possible it was an experimental headphone as well and could not be anywhere near as the sextetts and used a complete different method of tuning while sharing some similarities in sound. anything is possible so it can get very confusing. i know very little of the 241 and 250 personally and don't know much about the sextetts and 240DF and monitors. only information is what i gathered through documents i got hold of and information on the internet(mostly head-fi forums from the past).

i been thinking bout getting my LP's measured for the longest time but never really done it yet. i never saw a measurement of a MP, but i saw EP model from Tyll's measurements. that's about it. the DF's FR measurements only i saw online was on that foreign site Adda showed and your recent ones. i never felt my DF's to sound bright in the midrange area though and very natural sounding. same with my sextetts but my sextetts do sound brighter in the upper treble to top region to me which is more annoying with some songs and has more low-bass where they can turn into fart cannons but insanely well controlled. i find my DF's clearer sounding as well.

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #72 of 231
Between my EP and LP K240 DF, I am generally preferring the LP model which I'm finding to be more neutral across the frequency spectrum and overall cleaner sound. 

lp model is one with the black woven cloth? i know there is 2 models with black ports but are different where one DF has darker black cloth ports where it's woven,like each port it looks sewed while the other has black paper like ports. mine has the cloth woven ports. i never heard any other DF models before.

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #73 of 231
Quote:
yea i know. well i'm lost myself so i say it's possible the 241 is the same as the sextetts since the 241 was originally suppose ''sextett'' without the passive drivers and used as marketing for the france and european crowd.

You may be talking about the K 242, which was the Sextett for the French market (stated here).

It would be cool if someone could produce an original Sextett service doc from the 70s so we could see the original part number of their driver. AKG's modern service docs list the Sextett driver as 2030 Z 0010 (and Z 0007 for the K 241), but it most likely reflects the most suitable replacement driver that was available rather than what was originally used.

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #74 of 231
yes you right. i got them mixed up. no wonder i was so off and confusing myself and others. i'm actually a member there but they seem very bias over at the akg site. they removed all my comments on my praise for the DF's and sextetts and all i did was respond to someones message telling them what headphones i liked using for gaming. they don't want anything over there mentioned about the older akg's at all unless if your looking or asking for parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back