The AKG Infomation Thread
Apr 10, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #76 of 231
I've been listening to my K240S with my new JDS Labs 18v cmoy and they have never sounded better - even with the E9.  This really is a cracking amplifier.  It sounds great with these headphones.  Quite warm but really gets those drivers working well.  The dynamics and seperation ect. have really improved.  I really love this combination.  These 18v cmoys have loads of power.  Even do a decent job with the K601,  though I've not tried it with anything other than my ipod yet.  Unbelievably I hardly need the volume knob any higher than I do on the E9. 

I've also been comparing the K141 mk2 to the K240s and the latter is clearly superior for most music.  I think I will keep the K141 for gaming now.  Still a nice headphone though.  There is something really nice about the K240S.  Just does nothing wrong in my book.  It might not be the K240 of old but for the price its really good.  I keep going back to it despite having a better headphone.

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #77 of 231

Quote:
Fitz posted pics of the Sextett drivers here – the LP drivers are indeed somewhat different.

I'd like it if someone measured the frequency response of a pair of LP Sextetts. I've seen measurements for EP and MP, both looked free field. The LP is a mystery until someone measures them (send your LP Sextetts to Tyll, people!). In fact, Tyll is probably just the man to swamp with loads of Sextetts to figure out the sonic differences between EP/MP/LP.

I'm a bit confused with you, Rex. You first said the K 241 and K 250 are possibly like the Sextetts, now you say the Sextetts are entirely different. I'm not getting something here...

I'm all for seeing more measurements, but I've heard every version, and they don't sound vastly different, it's not like they were made with different equalization methods or something.  I bet the engineers didn't know about the differnce in sound, or didn't think it was significant.  They are just slightly different takes on the same sound signature.  It's akin to HD600/HD650 but a smaller difference probably.  The Sextetts measure pretty horribly in just about every way except FR so I'm guessing they were largely tuned by ear anyways.  Terrible impulse response, ugly square wave, pretty good, even FR, but the CSD's Purrin made look horrendous, one of the worst he's measured.  i can't imagine they took many serious measurements of them.  They are IMO proof of the power of tuning by ear and how getting the right tonality and even FR without bothersome resonances in the wrong places is the most important thing for a headphone to sound right

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #78 of 231
thing i'm wondering if the materials in the passive drivers are actually different? i never heard any other sextetts besides lp models so lp's are only ones i have experience with. never gotten lucky enough to get an mp or ep model.

now that you mention it, it can be very much be true on tuning by ear part since measuring things with headphones was bit different and difficult then from guessing. it could been done by doing by the mic and chamber and then had it's final touches done by ear by the audio engineer.

one thing i never got was why sextetts measured out pretty bad in the first place, even if it was done by ear, cause in reality in my opinion they sound insanely good from all the LP models i tried and use to own.

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #79 of 231
For the same reason the W3000anv sounds better than it measures.  That's why i think it was tuned mostly by ear.  There are severe resonances and lots of problems, but they managed to place them in areas that aren't too bothersome, and they got the areas people are more sensitive to sounding good.  I don't see them measuring a Sextett and saying "score!  We got another ridge of nasty ringing at 8khz!  Yeah baby!"

The W3000anv reminded me of the Sextett in many ways.  More refined treble, but not as sweet a midrange. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #80 of 231
Listening to the Evanescence song "Hello" with the LP K240 DF is quite profound. I find the tone and mids in the vocal region beat that of my HD800. Even when playing 96/24 resolution files through Amarra, the DF seems to keep a very close performance to the HD800. The lower bass is one area where the DF is less impressive but the overall experience so far has been very encouraging.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Apr 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #82 of 231
Listening to the Evanescence song "Hello" with the LP K240 DF is quite profound. I find the tone and mids in the vocal region beat that of my HD800. Even when playing 96/24 resolution files through Amarra, the DF seems to keep a very close performance to the HD800. The lower bass is one area where the DF is less impressive but the overall experience so far has been very encouraging.

very surprised. i think your the second person i read said that. i forgot who else it was but i think remember someone saying something bout the midrange when comparing the DF's to other headphones. only other person i know who has a hd800 and DF's is unkle eric, but i haven't seen him around here in the longest time. i forgot his impressions on the DF's,but i remember him saying he liked them very much and reason why he never plans on selling them.

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #83 of 231
For the same reason the W3000anv sounds better than it measures.  That's why i think it was tuned mostly by ear.  There are severe resonances and lots of problems, but they managed to place them in areas that aren't too bothersome, and they got the areas people are more sensitive to sounding good.  I don't see them measuring a Sextett and saying "score!  We got another ridge of nasty ringing at 8khz!  Yeah baby!"

The W3000anv reminded me of the Sextett in many ways.  More refined treble, but not as sweet a midrange. 

sounds interesting. i never heard the w3000anv so i can't say if i think it's similar to the sextetts. i wonder if other models like the DF's were finalized by ear as well as a possibility maybe. i know there similar to the sextetts on having multiple versions. same with the monitors. i read somewhere that the DF's were same as the monitors but akg used the cherry picked drivers for the DF's that measured out better in their lab and were marketed to the german market as IRT certified.

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #84 of 231

Quote:
Wanna post photos of those baffles on your two DFs, tdogz? Would help place them on the timelines perhaps. My DF of this kind is not much to call home about.

I will post pics later tonight when I get back.  The picture you posted looks identical to my LP baffle, as you will see once I get those uploaded.  

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Apr 11, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #85 of 231
Picture Time!

K240 DF's.  EP version on the left, LP version on the right

Close up of the LP baffle.

Additional shot of LP baffle.  Note the different in material usage varies between the sound port and the material on the baffle face.

Shot of EP version baffle.

Additional shot of EP version baffle.  Note that the driver capsule has acoustic fiber covering where LP does not.  Sound ports have a slightly larger diameter than LP, and that the material which covers the sound ports and baffle face is the the same.

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #86 of 231
that can explain the difference in sound between your DF's. the ep version looks like it has 241/250 driver from the looks of it with the type of acoustic filter over the driver. i would say it's a sextett but sextett drivers have different acoustic filter and seems bit thicker in comprehension but it could be possible that it just looks thinner in the photos due to the lighting.

my df's is like your lp one but mine has a woven cloth type fabric for the acoustic ports like each port looks machine sewed . i also removed the plastic protective cage in front of the driver with some wire cutters as an experiment so my df drivers are fully exposed but i have a thin nice speaker cloth i took from a pair of technics speakers and folded it in half to add thickness to protect the driver.

EDIT: ohh yea, i forgot to mention if you ever get up to it in the near future you should balance your DF's with 4-core wiring cause problem i had with the df's were they had a shared common ground. it should improve the imaging even more. the sextetts used a 4-core balanced wiring scheme which i don't understand why they didn't with the Df's and monitors. then akg started using the 4-core wiring scheme again with the Kx00/Kx01 series but it's marketed as ''bi-wiring'' with akg. i found my Df's improved going balanced but that's just me. my sextetts lp were naturally balanced but i rewired them anyways and terminated it with a 4-pin xlr jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back