The AKG Infomation Thread
Apr 1, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #47 of 231
I have a pair of 20+ year old 240M's (600 ohm).  I plan on taking them with me to my grave.  

I recently built a Millett Starving Student Headphone Amp that drives them very well.  With a pair of matched 12AT7 tubes my copy of T. Pinnock directing the English Concert (Handel's Watermusik) sounds phenomenal.  I can hear the musicians breathing, fingers moving on strings... a very "live" sound. 

I'd like to get my hands on a set of the velour ear pads, but I'm not sure where those can be had in the States at a reasonable price.

The foam separator that goes behind the ear pad and over top of the driver dry rotted on my set as well.  I vacuumed the chunks out and cut some pieces of felt to replace them for the time being.  

http://www.amazon.com/Handel-Water-Music-George-Frideric/dp/B000001G4Q/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333331827&sr=8-1-spell

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #49 of 231

Quote:
I have a pair of 20+ year old 240M's (600 ohm).  I plan on taking them with me to my grave.  
I recently built a Millett Starving Student Headphone Amp that drives them very well.  With a pair of matched 12AT7 tubes my copy of T. Pinnock directing the English Concert (Handel's Watermusik) sounds phenomenal.  I can hear the musicians breathing, fingers moving on strings... a very "live" sound. 
I'd like to get my hands on a set of the velour ear pads, but I'm not sure where those can be had in the States at a reasonable price.
The foam separator that goes behind the ear pad and over top of the driver dry rotted on my set as well.  I vacuumed the chunks out and cut some pieces of felt to replace them for the time being.  http://www.amazon.com/Handel-Water-Music-George-Frideric/dp/B000001G4Q/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333331827&sr=8-1-spell

My K240M, also have the foam inserts (sepatator) disintegrating in the cups
The company, Full Compass, sells the AKG foam inserts (foam separator) for $2.99 each, plus $8.80 shipping.
I ordered a pair for $14.78.
Decided for now to use the foam inserts from my Samson SR850s in the K240Ms

Tonight I made the mistake of trying to open my K240 Monitor 600-Ohm to clean out the foam pieces around the capsule (diaphragm).
Found out you need to cut the two wires (red/white) to get the cup fully apart, decided not to cut the wires, did not have soldering stuff handy.
With the cup partly open, pieces of a disintegrated foam ring came out.
Look like I have to figure out how to make replacement foam rings, or order direct from AKG,
Well, my wallet was feeling a little too heavy and over stuffed.

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #50 of 231

Quote:
I've seen some brand called Superlux, they look just like AKG K240, is Superlux owned by AKG?

It's more like Superlux stole some good ideas from AKG.

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #51 of 231
My k240 mkII's were made in china. They broke about 4 days ago after only about 4 months of gentle use (the left earphone completely stopped working). I've gotta say though, they sounded great, while they still worked. Hopefully I can get them replaced, or maybe I'll just upgrade to the Q701. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #52 of 231

Quote:
My K240MKII's were made in China. They broke about 4 days ago after only about 4 months of gentle use (the left earphone completely stopped working). I've gotta say though, they sounded great, while they still worked. Hopefully I can get them replaced, or maybe I'll just upgrade to the Q701. 

Wow, they stopped working after only four months of use, maybe Superlux is making AKG's headphones?

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #53 of 231
Just found some fish tank filter (Rite-size foam sleeve) at Petco, looks like it will do the job at replacing the K240 damper ring.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #55 of 231
AKG used to manufacture headphones for several other headphone brands which all essential used the same drivers and technology and were differentiated in the external enclosure design.  It might be possible that superlux is made by AKG or that the driver technology is supplied by AKG and superlux handles their own manufacturing.  

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Apr 5, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #56 of 231
Just put an order in for the K240 MK II's. Can't wait to own them. My roommate has the K240 Studios, but where I am, It's more economic to just get the MK II's - plus, I do like the black better. They will go good with the sound EQ I like and my acoustic recordings.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #57 of 231

Quote:
AKG used to manufacture headphones for several other headphone brands which all essential used the same drivers and technology and were differentiated in the external enclosure design.  It might be possible that Superlux is made by AKG or that the driver technology is supplied by AKG and Superlux handles their own manufacturing.  

What other brands did AKG make headphone for?

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #58 of 231

Quote:
It's more like Superlux stole some good ideas from AKG.

Or to be even more specific, it's probably more like Superlux ripped off the look of one of AKG's classic headphones, put in a schitty driver, manufactured it for cheap with child labor, and sells them for dirt cheap undercutting AKG's price and hoping to profit off the brand identity associated with that look. 

Apr 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #59 of 231

Quote:
Or to be even more specific, it's probably more like Superlux ripped off the look of one of AKG's classic headphones, put in a schitty driver, manufactured it for cheap with child labor, and sells them for dirt cheap undercutting AKG's price and hoping to profit off the brand identity associated with that look. 

Schitty driver? how bad is the installed driver on Superlux headphones.

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #60 of 231

Quote:
Quote:

Schitty driver? how bad is the installed driver on Superlux headphones.

I like the sound of the schitty drivers on the Superluxs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back