TGXEAR discussion thread.
Feb 24, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #1,816 of 1,851
I received Desolation Sound Black Sand and Revelstroke a few days ago. CCing my first impressions from the WC thread here:

Jims higher end sets (Revelstroke and DS) have been equipped with a wooden case and iem ear mesh (not pictured).

Desolation Sound Black Sand - $650

Custom 130ohm composite diaphragm N55 Driver. Reference tuned + Black Sand damping.

Black Sand dampening: I have used the OG Desolation Sound as a daily driver. This version gets a SS shell upgrade, as well as added black sand dampening technology last used by his Serratus Black Sand model. Not only is this time consuming to make, but has a chance of drivers failing during the creation process.

I have found Desolation Sound to be the most resolving earbud I have come across so far alongside earbuds I have demoed such as Black Dragon (Susvara) and a few of VEs flagship models. This dampening technique seems to give Desolation Sound a further technical upgrade by providing a quieter background with transients being separating and "popping out" more.

Sound Impressions: Compared to the OG model Desolation Sound, I find the mid bass to be reduced (noticibly) slightly with more upper treble. Zooming out, this is fairly uncoloured letting the music present itself naturally. Concurrently, I find this to be the most neutral out of Jims tunings. Totems tuning for example would be the closest to it while it tilting towards an ethereal, airier presentation.

Use case: Enjoying using Desolation Sound BS as an all-rounder palette cleanser allowing me to hear the integrity of a given recording. Not recommended however for those that are like bass quantity as it is shy in that department.

Revelstroke - $450:

Custom 1+ Tesla Neodymium magnet driver. Impedance: 130ohm

Custom DD drivers: The first Earbud that I purchased from Jim was the Red Serratus. Since then Jim has continued to invest R&D with custom drivers with better capabilities. The first noticible jump for me was was with Totem. In terms of speed, Revelstrokes Tesla Neodymium magnet drivers seems to be at DS level.

Sound Impressions: Revelstroke is warmer, more macro dynamic than DS but less mid bass leaning compared to Sunniva. Hearing this set as a W shaped warm neutral... balancing natural acoustic timbre while having sparkle sustain. In terms of resolution, I would slot it just behind Desolation Sound and above Serratus Black Sand.

Use Case: Similar to DS, this set too plays back my library to satisfaction on shuffle albeit with a more of an exciting U shaped presentation.

I'll post more detailed comparisons to the whole earbud roster in this thread after I get more ear time.
Revelstoke sounds right up my alley! Just do not have the funds right now, but a W-Shaped bud by Jim is a dream come true. Maybe when number two comes out. Enjoy!

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #1,817 of 1,851
I posted this to Discord as a response to a request for a detailed rundown on DS, DS BS, and Revelstoke, but it seems some of you will never see that so this is a repost:

I will attempt this, although there are far better technical reviewers here. I tend to approach things from a more emotional viewpoint. I won't go into stage much because I don't pay as much attention to that as other things like imaging and to some degree depth. Wall of text incoming.

Desolation Sound​

Pure almost boring tuning if not for the SLIGHT mid bass boost and superb treble extension. When I first bought it I had a real problem with the upper mid/lower treble region sounding too intense (bright). I first started to EQ it out, but after awhile it didn't bother me. YMMV.

Imaging is among the best I have heard until Revelstoke. Combine that with a superior resolution and I consider this set to be THE reference set for Jim's (maybe all) earbuds.

My personal reference set is the S8 and I don't think DS beats the S8 especially for treble performance, except maybe for timbre, but that is comparing earbuds to IEMs.

Classical and instrumental jazz, EDM are my preference for DS. If you need bright treble and ALL the detail you can muster, you want DS. (edited)

Revelstoke​

Not as pure, more exciting tuning (colored I guess you would say). I agree with what a few have said about it sounding W shaped, but quite shallow. I almost considered trading in my DS, but I thought it would be worth having the reference set as well. That was an expensive decision but oh well I THINK it was worth it. The imaging is just as good as DS. The treble is darker, but I would argue just as extended as DS... just presents itself more in a background wispy sort of way.

While the DS renders pianos, trumpets, and violins with more varied (accurate I guess) note weight, the Revy gives slightly more equal emphasis to all notes. This can at times present as less pure or clear.

Instrument separation here though is just phenomenal! I can't say that enough. DS just doesn't do it this well in my opinion.

Rock, blues, and anything with vocals or solo instruments as the focus are my hands down preference for Revelstoke. Vocals (especially female) could be called magical and breathtaking. You can kind of see it in the design (black like a stage audio stack). EDM also sounds good, but if pressed, I might go with DS on that, but I do enjoy on both. I am often surprised how sparkly and extended the treble sounds with cymbals. Each hit is so distinguished. (edited)

Summary​

Both can be considered all-rounders, but as you can see I prefer different kinds of music on each. Revy's darker treble makes it more palatable if you are particularly sensitive (especially that lower treble). I can get away with more volume on Revy than I can with DS. Details... man I can't decide... I guess DS, but it is really close. Bass quality and quantity is pretty similar to my ears, maybe slight edge to Revy, but it too, is close.

Desert Island, I am taking Revelstoke. Or maybe Ripples?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #1,818 of 1,851
I posted this to Discord as a response to a request for a detailed rundown on DS, DS BS, and Revelstoke, but it seems some of you will never see that so this is a repost:

I will attempt this, although there are far better technical reviewers here. I tend to approach things from a more emotional viewpoint. I won't go into stage much because I don't pay as much attention to that as other things like imaging and to some degree depth. Wall of text incoming.

Desolation Sound​

Pure almost boring tuning if not for the SLIGHT mid bass boost and superb treble extension. When I first bought it I had a real problem with the upper mid/lower treble region sounding too intense (bright). I first started to EQ it out, but after awhile it didn't bother me. YMMV.

Imaging is among the best I have heard until Revelstoke. Combine that with a superior resolution and I consider this set to be THE reference set for Jim's (maybe all) earbuds.

My personal reference set is the S8 and I don't think DS beats the S8 especially for treble performance, except maybe for timbre, but that is comparing earbuds to IEMs.

Classical and instrumental jazz, EDM are my preference for DS. If you need bright treble and ALL the detail you can muster, you want DS. (edited)

Revelstoke​

Not as pure, more exciting tuning (colored I guess you would say). I agree with what a few have said about it sounding W shaped, but quite shallow. I almost considered trading in my DS, but I thought it would be worth having the reference set as well. That was an expensive decision but oh well I THINK it was worth it. The imaging is just as good as DS. The treble is darker, but I would argue just as extended as DS... just presents itself more in a background wispy sort of way.

While the DS renders pianos, trumpets, and violins with more varied (accurate I guess) note weight, the Revy gives slightly more equal emphasis to all notes. This can at times present as less pure or clear.

Instrument separation here though is just phenomenal! I can't say that enough. DS just doesn't do it this well in my opinion.

Rock, blues, and anything with vocals or solo instruments as the focus are my hands down preference for Revelstoke. Vocals (especially female) could be called magical and breathtaking. You can kind of see it in the design (black like a stage audio stack). EDM also sounds good, but if pressed, I might go with DS on that, but I do enjoy on both. I am often surprised how sparkly and extended the treble sounds with cymbals. Each hit is so distinguished. (edited)

Summary​

Both can be considered all-rounders, but as you can see I prefer different kinds of music on each. Revy's darker treble makes it more palatable if you are particularly sensitive (especially that lower treble). I can get away with more volume on Revy than I can with DS. Details... man I can't decide... I guess DS, but it is really close. Bass quality and quantity is pretty similar to my ears, maybe slight edge to Revy, but it too, is close.

Desert Island, I am taking Revelstoke.

Cheers.
Thanks for the impressions! I wanted to ask which of the 2 has greater sub-bass and weight of the notes in the mid-bass, and which second gives more the idea of oleography or depth? Maybe none of the 2 or other earbuds from your experience..👍

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #1,819 of 1,851
First time buyer here for tgxear. Heard them mentioned in the round up thread. Been out of the earbuds game for awhile now as I never really found an earbud that really beat my recabled Diomnes lv2 buds (without spending a fortune) years back. Wanted to dip back into TOTL buds and saw the Revelstoke on a launch sale (was about to buy DS), so I dived right in.

Listening to these now, this is a whole leap above from what I’ve heard in earbuds before. The sound is really clean and clear. I’m listening through the A&K SE300 dap, and it’s so pure with a lot of air to the vocals. It sounds like a mini version of my HE1000. I’m really impressed to be honest. Voices and overall resolution are the best I’ve heard in an earbud.

I’m curious to know if the DS is worth the investment, but I’m pretty content with these buds.

Mar 8, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #1,820 of 1,851
Thanks for the impressions! I wanted to ask which of the 2 has greater sub-bass and weight of the notes in the mid-bass, and which second gives more the idea of oleography or depth? Maybe none of the 2 or other earbuds from your experience..👍
Because of the tuning differences, it is sometimes hard to tell. I would always like there to be a little more sub bass in both sets. When I get a little time I will do a focus session on bass and let you know.

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #1,821 of 1,851
I've rolled a substancial amount of amps with earbuds but I am blown away with this combo:

IMG_2429.jpeg

IBasso PB5 Osprey -> R6P2 -> Desolation Black Sound

DS is a reference tuned TGX set. PB5 adds bass quantity bringing it near SBs levels. Theres now a healthy amount of mid bass slam, this euphonic glow added to the mids. Vocals / instruments sound effortless and natural yet dynamic and textured. The nutubes expands the stage further (especially the depth) and the layering becomes more holographic. To date I haven't heard an earbud sound this resolving and balanced. A step closer towards realism. This is end game flat head sound.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #1,822 of 1,851
I've rolled a substancial amount of amps with earbuds but I am blown away with this combo:

IMG_2429.jpeg

IBasso PB5 Osprey -> R6P2 -> Desolation Black Sound

DS is a reference tuned TGX set. PB5 adds bass quantity bringing it near SBs levels. Theres now a healthy amount of mid bass slam, this euphonic glow added to the mids. Vocals / instruments sound effortless and natural yet dynamic and textured. The nutubes expands the stage further (especially the depth) and the layering becomes more holographic. To date I haven't heard an earbud sound this resolving and balanced. A step closer towards realism. This is end game flat head sound.

DS needs power otherwise it sounds too transparent for my tastes. Fundamental notes can be quite thin off most dongles. Definitely one that I think needs amping to balance it out a bit. I guess this is more preference than a tonal flaw. I just like a bump at 1.5khz for weight and body and in this case an amp improves that lower mid area.

That PB5 looks great BTW! I'm sure the tube warmth adds a bit of something special to the drier character of DS.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #1,823 of 1,851
Wow… Revelstoke…

I just received my Cayin N7 (for the second time) and the Revelstoke are like new… meaning it’s like I hadn’t really heard them fully before.
It’s going to take a bit to get my head around the differences but the yin/yang thing I had with them vs the Desolation Sound is gone.
With the N7 there is an increase in resolution, improved imaging, better depth and holographic staging.

IMG_7604.jpeg

Mar 20, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #1,824 of 1,851
Now on the DS.. I hadn’t forgotten how special the pairing with the N7 was but it’s as beautiful as I remember and so so sweet.

IMG_7605.jpeg

PS.. even a little sweeter in Class A amp mode.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #1,826 of 1,851
When I need isolation or a good thump from the bass I’ll use my Bonnevilles but now that the honeymoon is over and I live another with my Cayin N7, I find myself listening to the DS more and more.

The combination of the N7 in class A, with UAPP (the Cayin app has a bit more treble to my ears and pairs with the Revelstoke better), and the DS on an album like this one is magical.

There is endless air and delicacy. Not overly tall imaging but wide and vast with the beautiful timbre all these earbuds are known for.

Mar 26, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #1,827 of 1,851
Really enjoy jamming to my Sunnivas with Trance that has a more bassy and definitive tune compared to my thumpy, airy and 'ethereal'/less bassy Stax SR-507.

Also some Hard Tekno. Tones are so much more defined and down-to-earth than the E-stats.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #1,830 of 1,851
I Just brought Red Red Serratus, Sound Fantactic... with the Amazing Sound Stage.
But MX500 hurt my ear SOooooooo much.
Any idea which earpiece are more comfortable?
I have no problem wear old apple earphone all day.
I can buy one ask People to Change it?
Sorry to hear that mate. This is TGXEAR thread, so I know that Jim offers stainless steel bell shapes that might be more comfortable for you?

Otherwise, there are other bud shapes but not currently offered by Jim. Check out the Earbuds Round-up thread for more info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back