TGXEAR discussion thread.
Nov 18, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #1,756 of 1,866
I thought that might be the case. Great to hear it doesn't suffer from a thin note. If Jim ever makes another run of these I'll go for it.
Oh noway; Serratus and DS are definitely the kings of detail and space and imaging etc..but for me, I still enjoy more the weighty gang, meaning all those I kept, which are still unbelievably detailed and imagers ! If you don't A/B and just take them as they are you would not ever feel they are lesser earbuds.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #1,757 of 1,866
Oh noway; Serratus and DS are definitely the kings of detail and space and imaging etc..but for me, I still enjoy more the weighty gang, meaning all those I kept, which are still unbelievably detailed and imagers ! If you don't A/B and just take them as they are you would not ever feel they are lesser earbuds.

I think I'm in the same camp as you, preferring a little more weight in general. Again this is very source sensitive, though. As Desolation Sound is gaining a new lease of life on a new chain I am running. Much more weighty and capable than I first assumed.

Nov 19, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #1,758 of 1,866
Desolation Sound in stainless steel bell housing ordered! Really looking forward to hearing them. :)

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #1,760 of 1,866
Got myself the Sunnivas. Love the sound, but... can't get a proper seal as the mx500 shells rests at very awkward angle to my ear canals. I have to push them at at certain angle with my fingers to hear them at their best. Managed to get pretty good warmth and bass response out of them by thickening them with double layers of foam, but the treble does suffer a bit from this. It's still an enjoyable listen, and I will use them like this, but it's definitely not peak performance of these earbuds.

My Penon PAC earbuds on the other hand have a significantly better fit, and I don't feel like I lose that much bass even with a single layer of foam. I do enjoy the convenience of earbuds, so I'd like to give it more tries in the future. Would you guys say the stainless steel bells could be a better fit for me? They do look more similar to the PAC earbuds.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #1,762 of 1,866
Got myself the Sunnivas. Love the sound, but... can't get a proper seal as the mx500 shells rests at very awkward angle to my ear canals. I have to push them at at certain angle with my fingers to hear them at their best. Managed to get pretty good warmth and bass response out of them by thickening them with double layers of foam, but the treble does suffer a bit from this. It's still an enjoyable listen, and I will use them like this, but it's definitely not peak performance of these earbuds.

Have you tried the silicone rings under the foam? I've found the mx500 shells fit best for me with the ring + one layer of foam. The silicone wings also work well but defeats the convenience of buds for me unfortunately.

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #1,763 of 1,866
Have you tried the silicone rings under the foam? I've found the mx500 shells fit best for me with the ring + one layer of foam. The silicone wings also work well but defeats the convenience of buds for me unfortunately.
I didn't even know they came with them. Thank you very much! A 3 layer stack with those silicones + clear foams + the thicker foams from my Penon enable me to get a great seal. I hear a good amount of sub bass now, and the whole sound came together with the right amount of treble. It sounds like an earbud version of my Penon Serial, which makes me very happy as this will be much more convenient and comfortable to use😁.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #1,764 of 1,866
Still digging those beauties.

Custom bell-shaped Serratus.

_1010640-1.jpg

Jan 8, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #1,765 of 1,866
Still digging those beauties.

Custom bell-shaped Serratus.

_1010640-1.jpg
Those do look very nice. My Tofino came with red and blue bells. I am surprised how well those fit. I will post a picture soon.

Jan 8, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #1,766 of 1,866
Desolation Sound with clear MX500 shells just shipped! Thanks @tgx78 ! I will provide pictures and impressions when they arrive.

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #1,768 of 1,866
Jan 10, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #1,769 of 1,866
I have found that the slightly larger diameter of the Dunu Alpha 3 fits me nearly perfect. Could you give an example/source where to find the type of silicon rings you mention? Also, did you have much difficulty installing the foam over it?

Jan 10, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #1,770 of 1,866
Desolation Sound Black Sand?

Does anyone know anything about it?

Wait a minute... Didn't @tgx78 post an answer to this here a few hours ago? Where has it gone?? I thought you cannot delete posts on this forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back