TGXEAR discussion thread.
Sep 28, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #1,681 of 1,851
I am not using modded Sunniva, because doing so robs it of its signature tonality.

Ah, fellow stock tuning Sunniva enjoyer. The thin low density foams, are they the stock foams?

Sep 28, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #1,682 of 1,851
Ah, fellow stock tuning Sunniva enjoyer. The thin low density foams, are they the stock foams?
Nope. Even thinner than that - I think it's also termed as 'body scrubber' foams. Got them with Rikubuds and other buds here and there. I'm guarding them with my life - difficult to come by.

Sep 28, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #1,683 of 1,851
Hello Fellow TGX Ear enthusiasts. I spent last night listening to Desolation Sound and now this morning/afternoon (still listening) again. This has been my first real time with the DS. I have only listened via LP6 Ti --> ALO CDM portable tube amp. Two things; first, I am so glad I bought the DS and second, The ALO CDM with any single DD drivers is insanely rich, smooth, tactile, dynamic and weighted. This was an extremely difficult amp to source, luckily a fellow head-fier came to me. Okay, enough amp gushing, lets get to the nitty gritty of my first quick take with DS.

TGX EAR Desolation Sound -> ALO CDM -> LP6 Ti -> Macbook air Qobuz

IMG_8477.jpeg

This is the best earbud I have put into my ears thus far in the hobby. It is just very complete. By that I mean, it is a nuetral, balanced and musical sound. Staging is just as good as Serratus but DS has better height and depth. The timbre and tonality is esquisite and while vocals are forward, it is not so much so to distract from the rest. It excels with most genres. I did notice that with some fast transients or overly distorted guitars, it struggles to resolve. However it resolves much better than my previous favorite bud the VE APWS. The APWS is in my opinion the pinnacle for female vocals and small ensemble or solo stringed instrument. It is not an all rounder but has some of the BEST timbre in the game. DS is not far behind here but what DS does that APWS cannot is multi-genre playability. The CDM amp adds some warmth to the DS and while I prefer this, it also sounds just as lovely without the amp. However the CDM amp does expand the soundstage in all directions. When I first put them in my ears last night hooked up to my CDM, I layed down in the dark and pushed play and I thought the music was coming from my stereo in my room. The music was not in my head and this is very addicitng. DS has better macro dynamics with the CDM. However this is not DS skillset, its micro dynamics is where this set drops my jaw to the floor. Great Separation, clarity and layering with a few niggles here and there. It is early days with DS and while I have still not had much time to listen to Sunniva, I will post more impressions of both soon. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

IMG_8478.jpeg
Is it really worth 3x the price of Serratus?

Sep 28, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #1,684 of 1,851
Is it really worth 3x the price of Serratus?
Simple answer: To me, yes!

I feel it is more balanced and more resolving than the OG Serratus which was my favorite TGX bud before DS. However I cannot tell anyone how to spend their hard earned money. I wouldn’t want you to buy it on my rec and then not like it. I know there is a tour of this bud and maybe you can get on that?

It also depends on your library and if you value timbre and tonality as I feel DS is superior here as well as the vertical staging. Serratus has better sub bass extension but to me lacks mid bass balance. And this is where DS solves that making instruments, male vocals much more natural and with gravitas.

I hope this helps a bit. 🤙🏼

Sep 28, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #1,685 of 1,851
Also, Jim Park @tgx78 is the REAL DEAL! The best service and generosity anyone could hope for.

I received an envelope from him randomly with new foams to try out. This was a delightful surprise and super thankful for humans like Jim in this world.

So BIG SHOUT OUT TO @tgx78 for being amazing, talented and kind. Thanks a million Jim!

Sep 28, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #1,686 of 1,851
Also, Jim Park @tgx78 is the REAL DEAL! The best service and generosity anyone could hope for.

I received an envelope from him randomly with new foams to try out. This was a delightful surprise and super thankful for humans like Jim in this world.

So BIG SHOUT OUT TO @tgx78 for being amazing, talented and kind. Thanks a million Jim!
Yes, Jim is a great one indeed! We have a couple of awesome custom-builders and DIYers now that have made this hobby a whole lot of fun for us all!

Jim @TGXear (@tgx78)
Kevin @RikuBuds (@RikudouGoku)
Francisco @FranQL
Ascii @Valphonics (@ValSuki)

Plus, we always have to remember the following gentlemen who pretty much breathed new life into the flathead medium saving it from disappearing into oblivion:

Lee & KK @VentureElectronics (@zhibli06)
Willy @WillSound
Woo @BloxSound
Wong @Blur

Sep 28, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #1,687 of 1,851
Nope. Even thinner than that - I think it's also termed as 'body scrubber' foams. Got them with Rikubuds and other buds here and there. I'm guarding them with my life - difficult to come by.

Hold up! You mean deez?

IMG_20230929_095805.jpg

They sounded like Sunniva with the Bass Tuning kit, only better!

Edit: Turns the Sunniva into a vocal performer. I'm likin' it!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #1,688 of 1,851
Hold up! You mean deez?

IMG_20230929_095805.jpg

They sounded like Sunniva with the Bass Tuning kit, only better!

Edit: Turns the Sunniva into a vocal performer. I'm likin' it!
These are donut. Mine is a full foam. But yeah the texture looks about same

Sep 28, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #1,689 of 1,851
Simple answer: To me, yes!

I feel it is more balanced and more resolving than the OG Serratus which was my favorite TGX bud before DS. However I cannot tell anyone how to spend their hard earned money. I wouldn’t want you to buy it on my rec and then not like it. I know there is a tour of this bud and maybe you can get on that?

It also depends on your library and if you value timbre and tonality as I feel DS is superior here as well as the vertical staging. Serratus has better sub bass extension but to me lacks mid bass balance. And this is where DS solves that making instruments, male vocals much more natural and with gravitas.

I hope this helps a bit. 🤙🏼
I've said this to Jim, and I'll say here again: To me, Desolation Sound (gotta write the full name once in a while, lest everybody forgets it :wink:) is the improved version of the amalgamation of the best aspects of the Serratus and the Sunniva. Sunniva's bass slam, three-dimensional imaging, and spherical headspace; Serratus's resolution, note definition, and transparency.

Sep 28, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #1,690 of 1,851
I've said this to Jim, and I'll say here again: To me, Desolation Sound (gotta write the full name once in a while, lest everybody forgets it :wink:) is the improved version of the amalgamation of the best aspects of the Serratus and the Sunniva. Sunniva's bass slam, three-dimensional imaging, and spherical headspace; Serratus's resolution, note definition, and transparency.
Wow!

Sep 29, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #1,692 of 1,851
Would Desolution Sounds earbuds can match sound quality of a headphone, like HD600 or Meze 109? I am currently at edge between buying a new headphone or new earbuds.
I'd be surprised if it doesn't exceed the sound quality of HD600. Some folks have compared it to much much more expensive headphones. Bear in mind that it is obviously comparing apples to oranges, and it also depends on whether you can stand wearing either styles for long. I can't use headphones for long, for example

Sep 29, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #1,693 of 1,851
I'd be surprised if it doesn't exceed the sound quality of HD600. Some folks have compared it to much much more expensive headphones. Bear in mind that it is obviously comparing apples to oranges, and it also depends on whether you can stand wearing either styles for long. I can't use headphones for long, for example

Apple to orange comparison is apt. With headphones, you can feel the vibrations of the bass frequency on the pinna area of your ears as well, which is not possible with earbuds or IEMs. So if you can sacrifice that, earbud is for you @syazwaned

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #1,694 of 1,851
It is an incredible day to be doing a comparison between Jim's best works yet, the Sunnivas and the DS!
IMG_0298.jpeg

Sep 29, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #1,695 of 1,851
Apple to orange comparison is apt. With headphones, you can feel the vibrations of the bass frequency on the pinna area of your ears as well, which is not possible with earbuds or IEMs. So if you can sacrifice that, earbud is for you @syazwaned

Thanks friend. Appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back