TGXEAR discussion thread.
Sep 1, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #1,576 of 1,869
I think there's a significant brain burn with Sunniva but a good music burn-in certainly wouldn't hurt. Also, don't overlook the impact of source and power. I know I always chime in saying more power is better and then end up sounding like a broken record but Sunniva is another example of this. It helps tighten the bass improve balance. You will never completely alter the tonality on this one though. It's warm!
With a name like Sunniva, you'd think the tuning choice is quite obvious 😅

If you want something sharper, that cuts through more and is better defined...Serratus. (Once again, it's in the name).

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #1,577 of 1,869
Yeah it's warm regardless. That's why I say it's like an improved Ripples - but still has that thick midbass tuning. No amount of burn in will change that - I'm already on 150h+.
....and what's the problem with thick midbass?? :smile:

Sounds like Sunniva could be an upgrade from Serratus for me if I get around to it.

Sep 1, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #1,578 of 1,869

Sounds like Sunniva could be an upgrade from Serratus for me if I get around to it.
Sounds muddy to some people. I am such a people :D

Sep 1, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #1,579 of 1,869

The upgrade is Serratus Black Sand, nor Sunniva, as the impressions point out.

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #1,581 of 1,869
Dat Thicc midbass

extra-thicc-aku.gif

Sep 2, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #1,582 of 1,869
Listening to RS8 with Desolation Sound. My jaws are on the floor. The chemistry is unreal. This is my favourite pairing (even solo) vs TOTL daps like 320 Max, SP3K, M9+, R6P2 + 475.

received_199769999617812.jpeg

Desolation Sound -> RS8 -> Mass Kobo 475

DS is tuned mildly warm-neutral. It veers slightly on the technical side with it's peerless treble extension. RS8 adds that R2R sweetness to the bass and mids. Sub bass punch / macro dynamics have added muscularity and authority.

Transients are echoing / decaying endlessly with RS8s class leading depth. With the firmware update now the width (which is known to be average) is stretched wide.

I think I reached my personal earbud endgame. Vocals are effortless. Organic. Euphonic. Awe inspiring. Instruments are rendered with the transparency that I could sell my iems and become a full earbud main. Now it's a presentation choice.

Sep 2, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #1,583 of 1,869
I think I reached my personal earbud endgame. Vocals are effortless. Organic. Euphonic. Awe inspiring. Instruments are rendered with the transparency ......

This description is how I feel with the DS paired with the N7.. I can only imagine how the RS8 must sound...

Sep 3, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #1,584 of 1,869
Listening to RS8 with Desolation Sound. My jaws are on the floor. The chemistry is unreal. This is my favourite pairing
It sounds like RS8 is approaching my LP6ti7AE for the rendering you describe ( this dap also has huge power and does not require an additional amp).
I'm glad to read that DS can be an Endgame for you.
For me, it is and I've given up on IEMs and have no regrets when you're lucky enough to find such a rendering.
I've just listened to it on this album:

Capture d’écran 2023-09-03 à 06.01.13.png

oboe and harp make a divine duo

Sep 3, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #1,585 of 1,869
I'm planning on getting the Serratus (or the black Sand once reviews and impressions come out).
How much power do I need in order to drive them and get good sound from them? This would be my first amp purchase. Would something simple like the Ifi Uno suffice, or should I shoot for $100 amps like the jds atom or schiit heresy, or even more power?

My other gear that would also benefit from getting that first amp is: AudioTechnica ATH-AD700 (OG), LetShuoer S12s, which are not exactly power hungry.

Sep 3, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #1,586 of 1,869
I'm planning on getting the Serratus (or the black Sand once reviews and impressions come out).
How much power do I need in order to drive them and get good sound from them? This would be my first amp purchase. Would something simple like the Ifi Uno suffice, or should I shoot for $100 amps like the jds atom or schiit heresy, or even more power?

My other gear that would also benefit from getting that first amp is: AudioTechnica ATH-AD700 (OG), LetShuoer S12s, which are not exactly power hungry.

I used SMSL HO100 and a 2W 32ohm desktop amp. My two cents, the Modi and Magni stack (Recent versions) are enough. You can think of their drivability as an earbud version of the HD6XX, but considering they come default with 4.4mm balanced, you could find uber dongles like VE Prime + RA-2BFE Amp to drive them, or any amps with 4.4mm inputs. Otherwise, A/B them with other DACs/amps. You could always demo other equipment to see their potential.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #1,587 of 1,869
I think I reached my personal earbud endgame.
That is until Jim's next release eh? :wink: I know exactly how these statements go.

I would hope though however that a $600 earbud or another at 2x the price earbud gives that 'end game' key word status.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #1,588 of 1,869
This description is how I feel with the DS paired with the N7.. I can only imagine how the RS8 must sound...

Curious what you think if you get to hear Jeffs demo. I find RS8 to be an improvement in most departments except for price and portability.

That is until Jim's next release eh? :wink: I know exactly how these statements go.

I meant end game in the context of reaching a level I would be willing to part with iems. I already told Jim I'd buy a Desolation-Sound-Sand 🤭

Sep 3, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #1,589 of 1,869
I meant end game in the context of reaching a level I would be willing to part with iems. I already told Jim I'd buy a Desolation-Sound-Sand 🤭
Isolation is the key word and only difference left once tuning outweighs the other. Mx500 shells, fit is not always there.. for me :frowning2: foam changing helps with that though.

I wish Jim would do a pk shell, so very much.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #1,590 of 1,869
Curious what you think if you get to hear Jeffs demo. I find RS8 to be an improvement in most departments except for price and portability.

I don't doubt there's room for improvement from the N7, but I'm still getting that "wow" sensation from vocals and acoustic instruments with the DS/N7 combo.
I know you had the N7 so if the RS8 is that much of a step up, it might be better if I didn't get to hear a demo.. There's no way I could afford one and I wouldn't want to think less of what bliss I have now.. :triportsad::k701smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back