TGXEAR discussion thread.
Aug 30, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #1,546 of 1,851
For me it's also a fit issue. I've never really gelled with buds, and TGX are no different. My impressions take into account the steep sub bass drop-off, which is a big minus, but also the open, airy and easygoing sound, which is a big plus. Cost-wise any of Jim's buds are exceptional value compared to IEMs with similar SQ (almost too good, in fact), but IEMs will always be my preference for absolute SQ and engagement, taking cost out of the equation.
Oh, so mx500 doesn't suit you normally?

Aug 30, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #1,547 of 1,851
But then i heard Sunniva takes ripple spot in terms of master of dynamics?
The first time I heard Sunniva it was too muddy to be dynamic. The reason I don’t rate it is that I’d either need it to be my main listening device or I’d have to brain burn-in every time I switched to it. Ripples is such a cleaner sound to my ear, it’s preferable to both Sunniva and Serratus

Aug 30, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #1,548 of 1,851
Oh, so mx500 doesn't suit you normally?
I guess it fits me 'like it's supposed to' which means hardly any seal and lots of sound leakage. If I press any of the buds tightly to my ears the sound quality improves tremendously, but that's an impractical and uncomfortable way to use them. If I'm not mistaken they were designed to just perch on your outer ears, so getting an IEM-like seal is impossible.

Aug 30, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #1,549 of 1,851
DS by Jim Park/TGXear, listening that pleases!

IMG_0266.jpeg

The ability to hear each instrument in detail, or to allow oneself to hear the whole as an ensemble, is the hallmark of the best sound producers : mastery of highs, mids and lows, all in harmony.
For my ears, this is the case.
I had this kind of feeling with the Susvara on a sedentary basis, and I wasn't surprised to read about the comparison with the CAXSusvara (comparison to be made at a later date, on receipt).
Without getting too far ahead of myself, with only a few hours of listening, the DS/LP6ti7AE is an endgame to date.
Thanks JIM!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #1,550 of 1,851
I can just say that for me, Carbon is the king of TGX buds :) The staging is enormous, resolution is good, treble is very well defined while mid-bass cuts through adequately and mids are just perfect.

I have not tried Sunniva or DS and while I might like DS as well, I know that no other bud has followed Carbons sound signature or general sound profile so far. Given the poor sales there might never be another one like it, who knows. 😇
Just for confirmation is the carbon not just the ripples in a bell format? I was under the impression they were very similar and that is why there was not as much take up as it also launched after Ripples.

Aug 30, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #1,551 of 1,851
Just for confirmation is the carbon not just the ripples in a bell format? I was under the impression they were very similar and that is why there was not as much take up as it also launched after Ripples.
I think so, yes. But Carbon is slightly different in its midbass.

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #1,552 of 1,851
I've had a couple of hours with the DS, comparing it with the Totem, listening to the Symphonia Domestica by Strauss which is a convoluted and luxurious work for orchestra. imrecognize the DS is technically better but still undecided if it's worth the big price jump over the Totem.
Totem seems to have heavier weight to the sound but less resolution for sure; in all aspects.

Aug 30, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #1,553 of 1,851
Aug 31, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #1,554 of 1,851
TGX Serratus Black Sand came in earlier this week 🥳. This is a piece that I've been highly anticipating after hearing the prototype 6 weeks ago.

received_2559501057556224.jpeg

received_310449884992535.jpeg

In a way SBS reminds me of a less intense of Diva 23 with leaner bass and upper mids. It is Elysian-eque with how the frequencies contrast giving it an saturated and exciting sound.

Tuning: SBS follows @tgx78 tuning methodology centered around instrument timbre followed by technicalities. Desolation Sound lean more warm-reference while SBS leans more fun oriented. This set stands out for me with EDM, Vocal Trance and Metalcore.

Tuning comparisons: The low end is is more mid bass leaning vs Serratus 1 but has less quantity than Sunniva. Mids are sweet, lower mid tilting. The treble is energetic but not as elevated as Serratus 1 or Totem. Treble extension is at Totem level and comes close to DS. I'll A/B it further in the future.

received_1511588669646441.jpeg

Highlights:​
  • Excellent bass punch. Sunniva wins with macro dynamics (unmodded) and SBS with better micro-dynamics.
  • Earbuds have nice staging but can suffer from bass bleed. Jim experimented with ways to mitigate this with new dampening techniques. He settled on using sand (hense the name). The way notes decay with SBS is special. It gives it transients a cleaner background leading to better instrument separation. This portion is competitive vs Desolation Sound.
  • The staging depth is improved vs Serratus 1 which is more 2D (width based). SBS has a more spherical presentation.
  • This is an improvement with technicalities across the board vs Serratus 1. Some might still prefer 1 leaner tuning with more of a sub bass focus.
This set is underpriced for the SQ and manufacturing build time imo. SBS is my new favourite earbud for fast music. Contender with DS for #1 for enjoyment overall.

Attachments

• received_1511588669646441.jpeg
    733.5 KB · Views: 0
Aug 31, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #1,555 of 1,851
TGX Serratus Black Sand came in earlier this week 🥳. This is a piece that I've been highly anticipating after hearing the prototype 6 weeks ago.

received_2559501057556224.jpeg

received_310449884992535.jpeg

In a way SBS reminds me of a less intense of Diva 23 with leaner bass and upper mids. It is Elysian-eque with how the frequencies contrast giving it an saturated and exciting sound.

Tuning: SBS follows @tgx78 tuning methodology centered around instrument timbre followed by technicalities. Desolation Sound lean more warm-reference while SBS leans more fun oriented. This set stands out for me with EDM, Vocal Trance and Metalcore.

Tuning comparisons: The low end is is more mid bass leaning vs Serratus 1 but has less quantity than Sunniva. Mids are sweet, lower mid tilting. The treble is energetic but not as elevated as Serratus 1 or Totem. Treble extension is at Totem level and comes close to DS. I'll A/B it further in the future.

Highlights:​
  • Excellent bass punch. Sunniva wins with macro dynamics (unmodded) and SBS with better micro-dynamics.
  • Earbuds have nice staging but can suffer from bass bleed. Jim experimented with ways to mitigate this with new dampening techniques. He settled on using sand (hense the name). The way notes decay with SBS is special. It gives it transients a cleaner background leading to better instrument separation. This portion is competitive vs Desolation Sound.
  • The staging depth is improved vs Serratus 1 which is more 2D (width based). SBS has a more spherical presentation.
  • This is an improvement with technicalities across the board vs Serratus 1. Some might still prefer 1 leaner tuning with more of a sub bass focus.
This set is underpriced for the SQ and manufacturing build time imo. SBS is my new favourite earbud for fast music. Contender with DS for #1 for enjoyment overall.
Can you perhaps detail a comparison between the SBS and Sunniva?

Aug 31, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #1,556 of 1,851
I guess it fits me 'like it's supposed to' which means hardly any seal and lots of sound leakage. If I press any of the buds tightly to my ears the sound quality improves tremendously, but that's an impractical and uncomfortable way to use them. If I'm not mistaken they were designed to just perch on your outer ears, so getting an IEM-like seal is impossible.
I greatly improved the sound quality of all my earbuds by adding silicone "wings" or "earfins" on them, with foam above.
Before, I always had to readjust the fit, especially to keep a good bass quality.
Now it's perfect, I could find some for all my earbuds, be it Mx500 shell like Sunniva or bell shell like Totem.
You can find wings references in the Earbuds thread 🙂

Aug 31, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #1,557 of 1,851
I greatly improved the sound quality of all my earbuds by adding silicone "wings" or "earfins" on them, with foam above.
Before, I always had to readjust the fit, especially to keep a good bass quality.
Now it's perfect, I could find some for all my earbuds, be it Mx500 shell like Sunniva or bell shell like Totem.
I like the idea of using wings, but I can't seem to get them AND foams on in a neat manner. Maybe I'm putting the wings on wrong. Any visual references for using both? Or perhaps I'm expecting a neater fit than can be achieved.

Aug 31, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #1,559 of 1,851
Any chance you can share pics and instructions on how to fit wings + foams onto MX500 shells? Jim told me wings are not meant for MX500 and mess up the sound?

Aug 31, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #1,560 of 1,851
Just had this realisation:

Desolation Sound is the amalgamation of the best attributes of Sunniva and Serratus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back