TGXEAR discussion thread.
Jul 29, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #1,411 of 1,851
great news, thanks again!
Most of my music is without vocals. I primarily listen to either Classical Symphonies or Drum and Bass with some jazz sometimes when i am in the mood.
I am always looking out for the deepest and highest soundstage and because of listening 10-12 hrs straight everyday i prefer signatures that dont tell me "hey, here are some fine details you should listen to!", but i want to be able to grab them once i am in the mood. Hard to describe, hope its somewhat understandable.

As source most of the time i find myself grabbing my Topping G5

Jul 29, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #1,412 of 1,851
Most of my music is without vocals. I primarily listen to either Classical Symphonies or Drum and Bass with some jazz sometimes when i am in the mood.
I am always looking out for the deepest and highest soundstage and because of listening 10-12 hrs straight everyday i prefer signatures that dont tell me "hey, here are some fine details you should listen to!", but i want to be able to grab them once i am in the mood. Hard to describe, hope its somewhat understandable.

Hmm interesting. Serratus (too much treble for you) has the widest soundstage out of the TGXEar lineup of Alpha, Tantalus, Ripples. Not sure about the more recent releases.

Actually, you might wanna ask Jim about Serratus Black Sand!

I wonder if Rikubuds Alter Rider 3 might fit your criteria? Or maybe a VE earbud

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #1,413 of 1,851
which of the newer ones are the least brightest? I am into relaxed sound signatures with subdued highs and i truly hate upper mids
I would suggest you try Totem, but I have not heard Alpha or Tantalus.

I have heard Serratus, Alu Serratus, Totem and Carbon. Carbon, to my ears, sounds the most open. Totem is very flat sounding (which sounds warm to me) and I think you would be less likely to be sensitive to it's high-mids or treble.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #1,414 of 1,851

I still think either Tantalus or Alpha should be high on the list. Tantalus if you value warmth. Sunniva has a smaller stage and forward vocals which can be distracting if you want a less 'attention grabbing' listen.

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #1,416 of 1,851
Not many impressions/reviews on the Tantalus. It’s as if it went under the radar. It sounds pretty good. Dynamic and more full bodied than the K lab bell earbud. Too bad this model seems to have been discontinued.
IMG_4147.jpeg

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #1,417 of 1,851
Not many impressions/reviews on the Tantalus. It’s as if it went under the radar. It sounds pretty good. Dynamic and more full bodied than the K lab bell earbud. Too bad this model seems to have been discontinued.
IMG_4147.jpeg
I absolutely love it too !

Aug 4, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #1,418 of 1,851
Sunniva bass kit arrived yesterday. Tested it and I think I got the best of both worlds.

Without the bass tuning kit, the Sunnivas sounds realistic, with healthy amount of warmth and brightness. Treble is still laid back, but doesn't lack the sparkle.

With the bass kit, it brings down the midbass with some sacrifice on the realism. The tuning is closer to the Serratus, yet it shines less on vocals. Less body? Yes. But, I can dial up to higher volumes no problem. In memory, the Sunnivas still have the upper hand in the technicalities even with the bass tuning kit.

In my opinion, the tuning without the bass kit is still superior than with it. Sure, installing it loses some midbass and body, but it doesn't affect my overall experience. I still prefer the 'classical' Serratus tuning with what I'm given.

Edit: Simplify: DnB / Electro / Trance - Sounds better with bass tuning kit, more 'transparent' sounding, yet not as 'open' as the Serratus. Rock / Metal - Sounds better stock, more meaty, and unaltered realism.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #1,419 of 1,851
Another fun and insightful video review from @AWSMDanny

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #1,421 of 1,851
Awaiting people’s impressions on the DS. I’m not sure whether to go for that, Serratus, or Sunniva.
Hmm, there's like a 3-fold range in prices from Serratus to DS. Do you have a preferred budget and sound preferences?

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #1,424 of 1,851
Can anyone comment on the difference from the original ? Or has no one heard it yet ? I see it's 180ohm instead of 300 now. Very much want to pull the trigger, hate IEM fit and sound but this may be the answer.
From what I can share:
- Neutral tuning
- Custom driver
- More powerful magnet
- Better imaging and resolution

I'm pulling the trigger pretty soon!

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #1,425 of 1,851
I can afford any of them, so price isn’t a big deal. Of my current full size headphones, my favorite is the Focal Clear if that helps.
Nice! And you're ok with MX500 shells? If budget weren't an issue, I've heard that Desolation Sound is summit-fi. @drewbadour, what do you think?

@ian91 have you heard any Focal headphones?

Btw, there's a review tour for the DS in the US and Canada, so you might wanna wait for more impressions

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back