TGXEAR discussion thread.
Jul 2, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #1,351 of 1,866
A general question to everyone here:

Have any of you ever heard any buds from Korean artisan makers, at around 100-150 USD range?
I know Ucotech makes buds in this price segment, I have not heard them but I did just receive their new single DD iem RE-2 and its a phenomenal budget set. I would imagine their buds would be tuned well also, but that is just speculation.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #1,352 of 1,866
I know Ucotech makes buds in this price segment, I have not heard them but I did just receive their new single DD iem RE-2 and its a phenomenal budget set. I would imagine their buds would be tuned well also, but that is just speculation.
That is a consumer brand. I was talking about the Korean artisan makers. There are a few good ones there. Dailymusic and Highersound are two notable ones. Dailymusic makes his shells himself, from epoxy, resin, and brass pipes. Highersound uses regular mx500 and pk shells, but his work is also highly revered.

I got two Dailymusic buds, and two more are on the way. One from Highersound will be shipped today.

Don't know yet about Highersound, but Dailymusic buds definitely punches above their price bracket.

Jul 2, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #1,353 of 1,866
That is a consumer brand. I was talking about the Korean artisan makers. There are a few good ones there. Dailymusic and Highersound are two notable ones. Dailymusic makes his shells himself, from epoxy, resin, and brass pipes. Highersound uses regular mx500 and pk shells, but his work is also highly revered.

I got two Dailymusic buds, and two more are on the way. One from Highersound will be shipped today.

Don't know yet about Highersound, but Dailymusic buds definitely punches above their price bracket.
Nice bro! If you're on Discord, there is a pretty international community on the flathead thread there - maybe you'll find some Korean DIYers

Jul 2, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #1,354 of 1,866
Nice bro! If you're on Discord, there is a pretty international community on the flathead thread there - maybe you'll find some Korean DIYers
I am! I am in the Flathead Sanctuary, Rikubuds, AWSM Fwendz, Gizaudio, SoundBytes PH. I mostly met the Korean Artisans on instagram though - Dailymusic and Highersound. There is one other established Korean brand - Burubeatsound. But he does not ship internationally, and I got a feedback that the artisan buds provides better performance for a similar cost...hence did not explore him any further. Burubeatsound has an extensive range of buds from around 100 USD upto kilobuck territory.

Jul 2, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #1,355 of 1,866
20230703_084614~2.jpg

Now what do we have here? Using a $350 earbud with a paltry $10 dongle DAC/Amp? Ain't that Blasphemy?

Well...nah. While of course with better sources the performance of Sunniva improves manyfold, the JM6-4 here can drive it plenty well also. at 10/15 volume from my phone Sunniva was singing quite mellifluously via the JM6-4. So do not let the 180 Ohm impedance daunt you, because I believe the sensitivity of the driver is high enough to be played from any of the generally competent dongle DAC/Amp we use.

P.s: Those are not the smooth foams. Those are low density thin foams I got with Rikubuds. I found that these foams have a lower density than the Smooth foams (and slightly itchier), but provides the perfect balance between the bass and the clarity that I was looking for ever since getting them.

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #1,356 of 1,866
I am! I am in the Flathead Sanctuary, Rikubuds, AWSM Fwendz, Gizaudio, SoundBytes PH. I mostly met the Korean Artisans on instagram though - Dailymusic and Highersound. There is one other established Korean brand - Burubeatsound. But he does not ship internationally, and I got a feedback that the artisan buds provides better performance for a similar cost...hence did not explore him any further. Burubeatsound has an extensive range of buds from around 100 USD upto kilobuck territory.
Isn't DailyMusic Indonesian? Please correct me if I am wrong. I haven't seen any new models from Dailymusic since 2022 with their New Lumos and Lazarus models. Let me know if there are any newer models as I would like to add them to the flathead timeline (Year - Brand - Model Name - Impedance).

Also, please kindly send a link for Highersound. Thank you. Have a great day!

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #1,357 of 1,866
Jul 3, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #1,358 of 1,866
Isn't DailyMusic Indonesian? Please correct me if I am wrong. I haven't seen any new models from Dailymusic since 2022 with their New Lumos and Lazarus models. Let me know if there are any newer models as I would like to add them to the flathead timeline (Year - Brand - Model Name - Impedance).

Also, please kindly send a link for Highersound. Thank you. Have a great day!
Exactly what @ttorbic said. I mentioned the existence of Daily Music from Indonesia to Daeil Lee, and he told he would change his name to Dailysound. But as of now he has not done it, so I am still referring him as Dailymusic.

Here's the link for Highersound

Both of them do not have any established models as of yet. They are completely DIY. Daeil Lee makes his shells by hand from epoxy, and resin. For the vents he either use brass pipes or small punchhole type vents with metal ducts inserted. There are multiple type of arrangements, and the buyer can customise it at will. I literally drew a shoddy pic with pen and paper and sent it to him, and he made it perfectly.
Then you can choose which driver to use. You can discuss with him what type of sound you are looking for, and he will give you options of drivers that might suit your need.
The cables are generally cheap cables that he provides, and there are only two or three types of choices.

Highersound is similar, except he uses various types of off the shelf mx500 and pk shells. Sometimes mmcx mx500 shells with the stem cut short. He uses more premium cables and connectors - buyer can choose. Drivers can be picked based on buyer's preference as well.

Both of them makes buds on request, so turn around time is high. Daeil Lee takes may be 10-14 days, Highersound takes a month. All of their works are one of.

Jul 3, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #1,359 of 1,866
@WoodyLuvr @ttorbic he has now changed his Instagram handle to dailybuds1, and his brand is now called Dailybuds. I will mention Dailybuds from now on in my posts.

Jul 3, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #1,360 of 1,866
Still selling my #2 Alu Shell Serratus with the retune Jim did to more closely match his target, if anyone is interested :)

I want to shine some light onto Bell Serratus :purple_heart:. Mine is not the aluminium shell but stainless steel version though I think it most likely will sound 99% the same.

SSB Serra.jpg

To me, tonality wise is quite similar to the OG Serratus (compared with Red Serratus) but it has smoother trebles, better bass texture and better extension on both ends of frequency.
Stage width is slightly narrower than the OG which is wider and more expansive. However, stage depth of Bell Serratus instead is deeper than the OG, makes it feel more rounded.
A good complimentary to Sunniva as this is not as intense and engaging as Sunniva, instead what Bell Serra provides is an overall comfortable, laid back immersive experience. I believe this is due to the nature of Serratus mids which is slightly recessed.

An analogy I can give.. is that SSB Serratus feels like I'm sitting in a concert listening to performers playing on stage in front and away from me.

The bell fit could be a bit challenging to get the best fit but don't be discouraged. You can always play around with foams, rubber rings and wings, and in my experience it definitely helps finding that secure fit. As the saying goes, thick foams save lives. jk.

Cheers

Jul 3, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #1,361 of 1,866
I want to shine some light onto Bell Serratus :purple_heart:. Mine is not the aluminium shell but stainless steel version though I think it most likely will sound 99% the same.

SSB Serra.jpg

To me, tonality wise is quite similar to the OG Serratus (compared with Red Serratus) but it has smoother trebles, better bass texture and better extension on both ends of frequency.
Stage width is slightly narrower than the OG which is wider and more expansive. However, stage depth of Bell Serratus instead is deeper than the OG, makes it feel more rounded.
A good complimentary to Sunniva as this is not as intense and engaging as Sunniva, instead what Bell Serra provides is an overall comfortable, laid back immersive experience. I believe this is due to the nature of Serratus mids which is slightly recessed.

An analogy I can give.. is that SSB Serratus feels like I'm sitting in a concert listening to performers playing on stage in front and away from me.

The bell fit could be a bit challenging to get the best fit but don't be discouraged. You can always play around with foams, rubber rings and wings, and in my experience it definitely helps finding that secure fit. As the saying goes, thick foams save lives. jk.

Cheers
Oh, there is a TGXEAR Steel Bell Serratus? Which driver type does it come with... I am assuming it is the 300ΩPET BG? Did you get this in 2022 or 2023? Thank you.

Jul 3, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #1,362 of 1,866

Cheers
You described it well, I had the SSB Version before :) I just personally ultimately prefer Carbon over everything else I have tried.

Sadly, no one wants to buy Alu Serratus it seems like :s

Jul 4, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #1,363 of 1,866
Oh, there is a TGXEAR Steel Bell Serratus? Which driver type does it come with... I am assuming it is the 300ΩPET BG? Did you get this in 2022 or 2023? Thank you.
The driver is a 300ohms blue PET. I got it in April 2023 :)

Jul 5, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #1,364 of 1,866

PSX_20230705_120741.jpg
Sunniva #32 in da house. Initially worried about the booming bass but 45 minutes in it's already settling. Resolution, timbre, everything is next level, though I can see Serratus holding its own for a different flavour/different genres. Off memory this kills Ripples dead. Full 100h burn-in and review to follow in the coming week or two...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back