TGXEAR discussion thread.
Apr 1, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #1,052 of 1,851
Has anyone ever tried the Moondrop Chaconne and compared them with tgx? Don't want them or anything, just curious 😁
I’m curious, too. I don’t think they’re for me, but they seem like a pair that should be tried just so I’ll know. Like the Sennheiser HD800. I’ve seen a couple of pairs up for sale this week that have me contemplating, so comments from those who have tried both would be welcome.

Apr 2, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #1,053 of 1,851
Ooh, I hadn’t thought about trying them with tubes. Not that I have a tube amp right now anyway, but I don’t need too much of an excuse to try one. I wouldn’t mind adding just a touch of note weight or thickness (still learning the terms) to the Serratus’ sound - might tubes aid in that?
Yeah, tubes add some weight. I've tried many things yesterday but for sure Serratus+tubes was really something special.

Apr 3, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #1,054 of 1,851
Yeah, tubes add some weight. I've tried many things yesterday but for sure Serratus+tubes was really something special.
I have 3 portable hybrid tube amps which drive the Serratus very nicely and supply that nice tubey sound. I'm also working on a desktop tube headphone amp build, but not complete yet. Anyway, just wanted to say that portable hybrid tube amps can drive the Serratus quite well and have that distinct tube sound goodness.

Ranking in order of nice tubey sound with Serratus:

#1 - DIY "Koala" (self-named) hybrid tube amp with 1 x V6 Vivid dual discrete op-amp
This DIY hybrid amp surprisingly surpasses the 2 commercially available amps listed below. I believe it's because the tubes are running at a higher plate voltage than the other 2 amps and the V6 Vivid op-amp is one of Burson's premium op-amps.

#2 - Little Bear B-4X with 2 x Burson V5i-D dual op-amps
This is a low budget hybrid tube amp compared to the DIY Koala (after total build cost) and KAEI Tap-1, but once I swapped out the standard NE5532P op-amps with the Burson V5i-D op-amps, the B4-X performs very well.

#3 - KAEI Tap-1 with 2 x MUSES02 dual op-amps
This hybrid amp is the most expensive of the 3, but it has the least tubey sound, sort of clinical sounding to my ears compared to the DIY Koala and Little Bear B4-X.

Apr 4, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #1,055 of 1,851
Has anyone ever tried the Moondrop Chaconne and compared them with tgx? Don't want them or anything, just curious 😁
I owned both, but have not done a AB comparison, so this comes from memory. Take it with a pinch of salt.
The Serratus has more low end, a wider soundstage, does instrumentals better, and weighs less.
Chaconne has a sparklier treble, does vocals better, and is a leaner overall.
Resolution and timbre is about the same I think.

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #1,056 of 1,851
I have 3 portable hybrid tube amps which drive the Serratus very nicely and supply that nice tubey sound. I'm also working on a desktop tube headphone amp build, but not complete yet. Anyway, just wanted to say that portable hybrid tube amps can drive the Serratus quite well and have that distinct tube sound goodness.

#1 - DIY "Koala" (self-named) hybrid tube amp with 1 x V6 Vivid dual discrete op-amp
This DIY hybrid amp surprisingly surpasses the 2 commercially available amps listed below. I believe it's because the tubes are running at a higher plate voltage than the other 2 amps and the V6 Vivid op-amp is one of Burson's premium op-amps.

This is a low budget hybrid tube amp compared to the DIY Koala (after total build cost) and KAEI Tap-1, but once I swapped out the standard NE5532P op-amps with the Burson V5i-D op-amps, the B4-X performs very well.

This hybrid amp is the most expensive of the 3, but it has the least tubey sound, sort of clinical sounding to my ears compared to the DIY Koala and Little Bear B4-X.
I have the same setup as #2 and can confirm it is an awesome budget tube amp!

Apr 6, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #1,059 of 1,851
I owned both, but have not done a AB comparison, so this comes from memory. Take it with a pinch of salt.
The Serratus has more low end, a wider soundstage, does instrumentals better, and weighs less.
Chaconne has a sparklier treble, does vocals better, and is a leaner overall.
Resolution and timbre is about the same I think.
this is spot on, though I haven't listened to my chaconne's for awhile after going down the tgxear road

Apr 6, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #1,060 of 1,851
Looked like, yes. But the feel is also important.

Not looking to upset any owners here, just giving my impressions. I use the ripples most days & have no intention of letting them go.

But, if I were to hand them to any one I know, I'd bet that they would say they are sub $30, without hearing them.

There are some diy-ers read this thread ? What is the approx cost of the parts in a pair of these buds? I assume none of them are custom & can be bought off the shelf? I know that this does not equate to their finished value & the time taken to tune etc, but it would be interesting to know.

to me, the understated feel and look is a feature. I only pay for the sound.

Apr 6, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #1,061 of 1,851
Tgxear Totem
3CEE6042-7EE6-4F97-87C6-6D79885C8FD9.jpeg

First and foremost this is a TGXear bud which means timbre, realism and tone.

The steel bell shape really resonates with me(No pun intended) the shape and weight fit my ear very nicely. I much prefer this over the plastic shells.

Fit aside, these are imo the culmination of all Jim’s hard work. These have a great natural soundstage with a spacious sound a la serratus. While not as technical as serratus, Totem is smooth and dynamic while not being as dynamic as Ripples. However having timbre of the ripples and Alpha. Totem tow’s a great line. It’s balanced and wonderful to listen to with all types of genres. If I were to just have one TGXear bud this would be the one for me.

I will say that Ripples does excel for faster music as it has better dynamics and transient shifts/imaging. Totem keeps up but comes across a bit more 2D than holographic, not that ripples is what I would say holographic but has more depth of stage than Totem.

Serratus is more technical and spreads a wider stage although not by much and I much prefer electronic and ambient music on serratus.

Alpha is a timbre master and Totem is on par however with a lighter note weight.

Totem is a masterpiece and again shows the love of music from its creator. My favorite TGXear at the moment.

A truly wonderful bud. And one of the best in its class.

I've not been on headfi as much for several months, so didn't know of the existence of this thread. I'm not sure my wallet likes me browsing through these posts! =)

The totem is going to be stuck in my brain now. lol

Apr 6, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #1,062 of 1,851

For a newbie who wouldn't know an op-amp from a leg lamp, is swapping difficult, or requiring many tools I do not already own? I haven't looked into it yet, beyond asking this question, but I was just looking at the Little Bear and it got me thinking about that process. Thanks!

Apr 6, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #1,063 of 1,851
For a newbie who wouldn't know an op-amp from a leg lamp, is swapping difficult, or requiring many tools I do not already own? I haven't looked into it yet, beyond asking this question, but I was just looking at the Little Bear and it got me thinking about that process. Thanks!

It's just a case of carefully removing a piece from the circuit and replacing with another, fitting into a simple 8 pin socket. No soldering required. The issue comes if the op amp you're trying to replace the stock with doesn't fit in the housing. So you have to make sure the op amp you intend to put in fits those internal dimensions and is also electronically compatible with the amp itself. This gets a bit more confusing but the amp manufacturer/op amp supplier or the friendly people on here can help.

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #1,064 of 1,851
It's just a case of carefully removing a piece from the circuit and replacing with another, fitting into a simple 8 pin socket. No soldering required. The issue comes if the op amp you're trying to replace the stock with doesn't fit in the housing. So you have to make sure the op amp you intend to put in fits those internal dimensions and is also electronically compatible with the amp itself. This gets a bit more confusing but the amp manufacturer/op amp supplier or the friendly people on here can help.

I just watched a couple of videos demonstrating the process and I think even I can do that. :) At the moment I was just planning on going with the Burson V5i-D dual op-amps as recommended above, but I'm open to other options.

Apr 6, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #1,065 of 1,851
I just watched a couple of videos demonstrating the process and I think even I can do that. :) At the moment I was just planning on going with the Burson V5i-D dual op-amps as recommended above, but I'm open to other options.
It's very easy to change out the op-amps.

To open the Little Bear B4-X case, you'll need a 2mm hex allen key and a small phillips screwdriver. Remove only the screws holding the top cover (split shell) of the amp.
You may already have the tools, if not then you can get something like this Mini Screwdriver set (Amazon link) which will have what you need and more.

I use a small slotted screwdriver to gently pry up the NE5532P op-amp. Alternate prying front and back of the op-amp to gently lift it up. Once it is loose enough you can remove it by hand. There is a small circle on both NE5532P and V5i-D op-amps. That circle indicates Pin 1 of the chip. See the 2nd picture for reference. After removing the old op-amp, insert the new op-amp so that Pin 1 of the chip goes into Pin 1 of the socket. See the 3rd picture of both Burson op-amps installed for reference.

I've tried a few different op-amps in the B4-X and the Burson V5i-D has the best sound. If you decide to buy directly from Burson, choose the V5i Dual x 2 package ($79.00)

EDIT: You might notice the white rings on the tubes. Those are silicone o-rings which are used as vibration dampers. Without those installed, the tubes can have microphonic ringing caused by knocking or bumping the amp which you will hear through any head gear you have connected to the amp. The size of the o-rings are 15mm OD (Outer Diameter), 9mm ID (Inner Diameter), 3mm thickness. Maybe you can find a couple at a local hardware store. If not, they are available on Amazon, uxcell Silicone O-Ring, 15mm OD, 9mm ID, 3mm Width.

(Click the images to zoom them and see more detail)
small slotted screwdriver.jpg
Pin 1.jpg

Both Burson V5i-D op-amps installed
Burson V5i-D installed.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back