TGXEAR discussion thread.
Nov 4, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #286 of 1,866
@SBranson , what are your impressions of the Ripples soundstage, and how do you feel it compares to the other 3 sets? Although, if you're mostly focusing on solo performances, perhaps the stage doesn't play as much of a role?

That‘s kind of a difficult question to answer and partially answered by the second part of your question. I think the Serratus has the biggest soundstage in the usual sense and that’s partially due to what I feel is a more recessed midrange and a dryer tone overall. When I listen to non acoustic music like more ambient stuff then the Serratus is magical and vast as there is no personal reference of “actual” timbre to make me question the sound reproduction of said instrument.

The Alpha is more mid focused and timbre focused so gets my nod if I’m listening to solo lute or solo piano for instance. In this case the overt sense of stage is not as prevalent in my attention because it only needs to match the scale of the instrument.

The Ripples on the other hand does something even more than the Alpha and does something I haven’t really heard so well since owning the Traillii. These is a more palpable 3d quality to the staging or the instrument. It’s relatively intimate but that’s also because that’s the kind of music I use it for as you surmise in the second part of your question.

This weekend I’ll try to take some time and branch out a bit with the different sets but for now I kind of approach the evening with a musical choice and mood and then choose the set that matches.

Serratus for ambient or electronic or anything more “busy”, Alpha for timbre and a relaxing listen particularly for putting on an Apple “radio station”. Ripples for really listening and when I really want to fall into another world and listen to “all” of the recording. It’s got that amazing timbre with clarity and nuance. Piano notes ring in the overtones, you can hear the bow and the violin, you can sense the space around the instrument..

So it’s different kinds of “staging” but to be honest I haven’t really tried something as formal as a review where I compare all three on all the different music.. Partially because I’m too obsessive and would be biased by the music choice as well because of mood and also the scrutinizing mentality of being in a “review” frame of mind.

Nov 4, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #287 of 1,866
That‘s kind of a difficult question to answer and partially answered by the second part of your question. I think the Serratus has the biggest soundstage in the usual sense and that’s partially due to what I feel is a more recessed midrange and a dryer tone overall. When I listen to non acoustic music like more ambient stuff then the Serratus is magical and vast as there is no personal reference of “actual” timbre to make me question the sound reproduction of said instrument.

The Alpha is more mid focused and timbre focused so gets my nod if I’m listening to solo lute or solo piano for instance. In this case the overt sense of stage is not as prevalent in my attention because it only needs to match the scale of the instrument.

The Ripples on the other hand does something even more than the Alpha and does something I haven’t really heard so well since owning the Traillii. These is a more palpable 3d quality to the staging or the instrument. It’s relatively intimate but that’s also because that’s the kind of music I use it for as you surmise in the second part of your question.

This weekend I’ll try to take some time and branch out a bit with the different sets but for now I kind of approach the evening with a musical choice and mood and then choose the set that matches.

Serratus for ambient or electronic or anything more “busy”, Alpha for timbre and a relaxing listen particularly for putting on an Apple “radio station”. Ripples for really listening and when I really want to fall into another world and listen to “all” of the recording. It’s got that amazing timbre with clarity and nuance. Piano notes ring in the overtones, you can hear the bow and the violin, you can sense the space around the instrument..

So it’s different kinds of “staging” but to be honest I haven’t really tried something as formal as a review where I compare all three on all the different music.. Partially because I’m too obsessive and would be biased by the music choice as well because of mood and also the scrutinizing mentality of being in a “review” frame of mind.
Only reason I didn’t get them all was my DAC wouldn’t work as well when it’s that powerful - it’s a Mojo2 and while it’s powerful I don’t think it’s going to play well with 600 ohm. The new coming on the other hand… I’ll give that a go. I’ll eventually get a better DAC too but that’s a 2023 thing

Nov 4, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #288 of 1,866
Totally on the same page with you regarding Serratus vs Alpha. Interesting and welcomed that there's some difference in opinion on the Tantalus here. @SBranson do you hear there being less treble detail and upper extension on the Alpha than Tantalus?

That's quite a compliment. Roll on release!

I didn’t find that the Alpha had less treble detail, actually the opposite. For various reasons I don’t have the Tantalus anymore. I believe mine was a prototype in terms of cable and such and once I heard the Alpha I didn’t really need the Tantalus for my music so it went back to Jim for his use.
That said, I reiterate that to me the Tantalus had a quality like the VE Phonix. When I had iems I had gotten used to estat treble with its delicate air and extension and clean decay. When I got the Phonix on demo tour the BA treble had a sense of almost echo, a slower decay and an almost reverberationto the sound. The initial effect was like having room echos or listening in a hall. But my mind adjusted and it filled out some recordings so well. For instance I’ve found some old Joni Mitchell recordings can be a bit thin sounding and sounded just fantastic on the Phonix,, well taht was the same for me with the Tantalus. But on some recordings that had richer sounding instruments, I found that the leading edge of notes wasn’t as sharp as the Serratus but much warmer..
The Alpha though was like the combination. A faster more precise attack but with a warm decay. More intimate like the Tantalus but with an extra sparkle that allowed me to hear the timbre differences of different strings on a lute or the scratch of rosin before the note resonates on a cello.
Having played many instruments I find I really like to be able to hear those small cues that give the instrument a truly live sense.

But listening to this on the Serratus right now sounds so vast and open. The instruments sound like whatever they are as they are all manipulated so this comes down to the pleasure of the giant soundscape and clear extension in both directions.

Nov 4, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #289 of 1,866
Only reason I didn’t get them all was my DAC wouldn’t work as well when it’s that powerful - it’s a Mojo2 and while it’s powerful I don’t think it’s going to play well with 600 ohm. The new coming on the other hand… I’ll give that a go. I’ll eventually get a better DAC too but that’s a 2023 thing
The Mojo2 drives relatively well the Tantalus.

Nov 4, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #290 of 1,866
Just thought I would share this, some Bert Jansch that has never sounded better than it does today on the Alpha:

It also happens to be named after my favourite (and most challenging) bird to photograph - the Kingfisher:

DSC03856-denoise-clear.jpg

Happy Friday folks :)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #291 of 1,866
I've been bud-curious for a while now, so today I pulled the trigger on a Red Serratus based off all the positive feedback @tgx78 is getting for his buds.

I'd been thinking about getting another headphone to use at my desk, but this looks like it should be a fine alternative that should be driven well with the various Schiit I've accumulated.

Now for the waiting game!

Nov 5, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #292 of 1,866
Just thought I would share this, some Bert Jansch that has never sounded better than it does today on the Alpha:

It also happens to be named after my favourite (and most challenging) bird to photograph - the Kingfisher:

DSC03856-denoise-clear.jpg

Happy Friday folks :)

Speaking of birds - tonight my parrot, apparently out of her great appreciation of @tgx78's art, took a quick bite at my Alpha's cord, and snapped one of the channels. The set now will be on its way back to Jim for repairs, but the bird clearly has great taste!

The moral: while bringing Kingfisher (the song) to the Alpha is great, beware of bringing the Alpha to Kingfishers (the birds).

Also - birds make excellent gear choices. :beyersmile:

Nov 5, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #293 of 1,866
As primarily a jazz, classical and world music listener, these buds sound right up my alley. Can anyone compare any of these models with the Moondrop Chaconne, which as far as I know was/is the earbud acoustic music timbre king?

Also, @tgx78, what is the rationale for terminating all the buds with 4.4 balanced even though they do best on desktop setups many of which don't come with 4.4 output? Is there an option to terminate differently, or have you thought of offering 4.4 to 3.5 (or 6.3) adapters for sale?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #294 of 1,866
As primarily a jazz, classical and world music listener, these buds sound right up my alley. Can anyone compare any of these models with the Moondrop Chaconne, which as far as I know, was/is the earbud acoustic music timbre king?

Also, @tgx78, what is the rational for terminating all the buds with 4.4 balanced even though they do best on desktop setups many of which don't come with 4.4 output? Is there an option to terminate differently, or have you thought of offering 4.4 to 3.5 adapters for sale?
I was curious about that as well, if anybody had a chance to A/B the Alpha and Chaconne head to head, on timbre, and instrumental fidelity overall?

Nov 5, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #295 of 1,866
Also, @tgx78, what is the rational for terminating all the buds with 4.4 balanced even though they do best on desktop setups many of which don't come with 4.4 output? Is there an option to terminate differently, or have you thought of offering 4.4 to 3.5 adapters for sale?
I will build and offer 4.4 to 3.5 adapter if someone puts in a request.
I already supplied 4.4 to XLR adapter upon request few times.

Haven’t heard the Chaconne unfortunately.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #296 of 1,866
As primarily a jazz, classical and world music listener, these buds sound right up my alley.

For those genres they are an unequivocal 'buy it now' sort of thing.

Can anyone compare any of these models with the Moondrop Chaconne, which as far as I know was/is the earbud acoustic music timbre king?

I've not heard the Chaconne but tonally descriptions always put it as a 'bright' and 'detailed' set with some people having issues with the treble. The Alpha is a 'warm' set yet still very 'detailed'. There's a flavour that this tonality adds to jazz that I couldn't do without, male vocals are full and female vocals are soulful. Cello, double bass and sax are emobodied but with enough air that they aren't stifled, violins are authentic and easy to listen to. The upper midrange is controlled so that some sharp notes are still exciting but not shouty. There is zero sibilance to boot. I don't feel the warmth detracts from classical performance either but I guess some might prefer a brighter tonality and a larger stage for that.

An actual A-B between Chaccone and Alpha would be great...!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #297 of 1,866
For those genres they are an unequivocal 'buy it now' sort of thing.

I've not heard the Chaconne but tonally descriptions always put it as a 'bright' and 'detailed' set with some people having issues with the treble. The Alpha is a 'warm' set yet still very 'detailed'. There's a flavour that this tonality adds to jazz that I couldn't do without, male vocals are full and female vocals are soulful. Cello, double bass and sax are emobodied but with enough air that they aren't stifled, violins are authentic and easy to listen to. The upper midrange is controlled so that some sharp notes are still exciting but not shouty. There is zero sibilance to boot. I don't feel the warmth detracts from classical performance either but I guess some might prefer a brighter tonality and a larger stage for that.

An actual A-B between Chaccone and Alpha would be great...!

I wouldn't describe the Chaconne as bright at all. I would characterize them as neutral-warm, with smooth and detailed mids and well extended treble and without deep bass. I hear zero sibilance. Basically your description of the Alpha would fit mine of the Chaconne. They are bit bass shy, and maybe their bass-shyness makes people crank them extra loud for modern music, causing treble issues? I do have warmish/forgiving gear though (RU6, Hiby RS2 and Schitt Vali 2+).

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #298 of 1,866
I wouldn't describe the Chaconne as bright at all. I would characterize them as neutral-warm, with smooth and detailed mids and well extended treble and without deep bass. I hear zero sibilance. Basically your description of the Alpha would fit mine of the Chaconne.

Interesting. In that case I'm even more interested to hear which comes out on top in terms of timbre.

Nov 5, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #299 of 1,866
Interesting. In that case I'm even more interested to hear which comes out on top in terms of timbre.

Me too. I find that timbre takes on the coloration of the housing. So JVC wood IEMs and ZMF HPs convey wood instrument timbre most convincingly. Chaconne and Zen Pro do best with brass instruments. From my limited experience, plastic buds sounded a little plastic-y (but I've only used cheaper ones). I admit there could be a psychological element at play here.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #300 of 1,866
I'm usually a joy bringer, but today I have sad news....

@tgx78 r&d deparment plus a good amount of bullying into the mix made this possible.

https://www.tgxear.com/store/products/bell-tantalus

Well, I guess this is good news for you and bad news for your wallet.

Let us mourne our wallets, I guess.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back