TGXEAR discussion thread.
Nov 1, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #256 of 1,872
Having not heard the BTR7 I can't say for certain. However, my preference with the Serratus is a warmer source and I think Alpha is complimented by more neutral / brighter chains. It's all down to taste. Just be willing to experiment if you're left looking for more (as money allows) because I've found their character changes quite dramatically by source/amp.
Got it. Might have to get another dongle that is warmer, like ifi Go bar as you said. Although I am waiting on the Shanling Q7 to release, quite keen on that.

Nov 1, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #257 of 1,872
That graph is doesn't look right based on what I listen.
Also, it doesnt make sense to compare iem and earbud on same graph. Maybe we need separate earbud target.

If you measure buds with IEC711 coupler, you will have quite realistic upper midrange that I believe comparable with IEMs from the same coupler. The challenge is the consistency. The more you seal the buds against the coupler, the higher the bass response, just like how they works in real world listening. So how much pressure is enough to be realistic and repeatable? That’s the tricky park. That’s why some manufacturers just seal as tight as possible and measure. Not realistic at all, but at least consistent.

1667263853540.png

Take a look at the graph of the Fiio FF3. If you guys look at the bass end of this graph. How does that make any sense. The whole reason to even consider getting an FF3 is for its fun bass. I saw this graph when I was doing a review for these and I couldnt believe what I was seeing. The way buds measure and the way IEMs measure seem to be completely different altogether. Can't really judge a bud based on its graph that is for certain. believe me the FF3 sounds nothing like what that graph here shows.
when marketing have no clue - just "do it"

Fiio uses an artificial head for this measurement though. I think they did it without foam. Try FF3 without foam and you might hear similar sound to the graph :beyersmile:. I remember on the website, Fiio does provide details about their measuring rig (B&K something something). Whilst the graph is true, the one who decides to release this graph on marketing material should rethink.

Nov 1, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #258 of 1,872
If you measure buds with IEC711 coupler, you will have quite realistic upper midrange that I believe comparable with IEMs from the same coupler. The challenge is the consistency. The more you seal the buds against the coupler, the higher the bass response, just like how they works in real world listening. So how much pressure is enough to be realistic and repeatable? That’s the tricky park. That’s why some manufacturers just seal as tight as possible and measure. Not realistic at all, but at least consistent.

Fiio uses an artificial head for this measurement though. I think they did it without foam. Try FF3 without foam and you might hear similar sound to the graph :beyersmile:. I remember on the website, Fiio does provide details about their measuring rig (B&K something something). Whilst the graph is true, the one who decides to release this graph on marketing material should rethink.
72A36A9F-B4BB-4025-9426-CA1C01F8D909.jpeg
D60ACFCD-8F9E-4A0C-ADCF-14BD41829119.jpeg

Yes, it is really hard to get consistent results with earbuds.

I mainly seal and measure them to quickly check the channel matching, that’s it.

Nov 2, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #260 of 1,872
Nov 2, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #262 of 1,872
I'm bullying Jim right now. I don't want it, I need it!

Also I wanna do a colab just so I can call it Nypples :D
Lol

Nov 2, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #264 of 1,872
Nov 2, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #266 of 1,872

My long overdue review of the TGXEAR Tantalus is now live and you can find it here.

Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed listen to it.
Serratus won by 2 points :)

Very good review! Thank you - I agree it’s very good!

Nov 3, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #267 of 1,872

My long overdue review of the TGXEAR Tantalus is now live and you can find it here.

Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed listen to it.

Excellent review, very well written and entertaining but also a very interesting review. I guess it goes to show that priorities make all the difference in ranking. I found I basically disagreed with most of what you said when comparing the models but that’s probably due to my library and what I prefer,
Personally I found the Tantalus a bit redundant to the Alpha for, as you mentioned, the Alpha’s near peerless timbral accuracy, for me makes the thicker note weight of the Tantalus seem to occlude some vital clarity of timbre. The Serratus has the opposite issue where it has the clarity but not the warm woody character of a violin. For me the Alpha is the best of both.
I still enjoy the Serratus but I chose the Alpha almost every time.

The Tantalus reminded me a lot of the Vision Ears Phonix. It excelled with a few recordings but overall I found the thicker, slower tone less pleasing than the brighter Alpha.
But I’m also 53 so maybe I don’t hear the treble of the Tantalus as well.

For reference, this is what I‘ve been listening to recently.

Alot of Apple ”artist and those like them” lists like Olafur Arnalds, Nils Frahm, Vikingur Olafsson, Peter Gregson, Luke Howard….

For me it’s instrument timbre first.

On that I’m curious what others will think of the Ripples. I’ve heard it extensively and it’s amazing. It’s timbre sucks you in and you hear all the subtle resonances. Vocals sound like they are present with you.. It reminds me of the TrailliI for sheer “correctness”. They take that Alpha timbre and add another layer of clarity and delicacy that makes instruments sound so natural.

My TGXEar buds are for sitting and listening and when I’m doing that it’s my classical crossover or piano music mostly and for me the Alpha are for when I want to just chill and browse on my iPad and the Ripples are perfect for really listening.
The Ripples is like opening a doorway to another realm of music. I’m very curious to see how others will hear them. They are so delicate and pull out those last moments and nuances and for me and my music that makes them about perfect..
After reading that review I’ll be very curious to hear if what I value so much about them will translate into others’ libraries and tastes.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #269 of 1,872
Excellent review, very well written and entertaining but also a very interesting review. I guess it goes to show that priorities make all the difference in ranking. I found I basically disagreed with most of what you said when comparing the models but that’s probably due to my library and what I prefer,
Personally I found the Tantalus a bit redundant to the Alpha for, as you mentioned, the Alpha’s near peerless timbral accuracy, for me makes the thicker note weight of the Tantalus seem to occlude some vital clarity of timbre. The Serratus has the opposite issue where it has the clarity but not the warm woody character of a violin. For me the Alpha is the best of both.

The Tantalus reminded me a lot of the Vision Ears Phonix. It excelled with a few recordings but overall I found the thicker, slower tone less pleasing than the brighter Alpha.

Alot of Apple ”artist and those like them” lists like Olafur Arnalds, Nils Frahm, Vikingur Olafsson, Peter Gregson, Luke Howard….

On that I’m curious what others will think of the Ripples. I’ve heard it extensively and it’s amazing. It’s timbre sucks you in and you hear all the subtle resonances. Vocals sound like they are present with you.. It reminds me of the TrailliI for sheer “correctness”. They take that Alpha timbre and add another layer of clarity and delicacy that makes instruments sound so natural.

My TGXEar buds are for sitting and listening and when I’m doing that it’s my classical crossover or piano music mostly and for me the Alpha are for when I want to just chill and browse on my iPad and the Ripples are perfect for really listening.
The Ripples is like opening a doorway to another realm of music. I’m very curious to see how others will hear them. They are so delicate and pull out those last moments and nuances and for me and my music that makes them about perfect..
After reading that review I’ll be very curious to hear if what I value so much about them will translate into others’ libraries and tastes.
Maybe those difference could be from different source used
I supposed Tantalus & Alpha need a bit more power than Serratus
Maybe @nymz using DAP and you using desktop ?

Nov 3, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #270 of 1,872

It is 100% preferences and libraries :)

If I only threw classical at them, Alpha would be way higher :)

Alpha is more niche in my opinion because of that. It won't be a size-fits-all like the other two are.

Nice library, will check out those names 🤙

Users who are viewing this thread

Back