TGXEAR discussion thread.
Jun 12, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #1,291 of 1,872
Picked up my Sunniva ❤️.

These are sounding amazing. I'll do a 4 way comparison with my buds at some point.
Wow, these look awesome! I'm really liking the aesthetics with the blue body scrubber donuts with the cable. That beautiful face plate peaking through is speaking to me haha! I am looking very forward to your bud shootout.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #1,293 of 1,872
Guys, I don't own any external dac/amp other than my pc. I own this motherboard:

Immagine.png

Do you know if it is enough to power/drive properly the Sunniva (that I ordered) (180ohm) ?

Jun 12, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #1,294 of 1,872
Jun 12, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #1,295 of 1,872
Hi, I am interested in tgxear buds, I was wondering if anyone has experience running them off something like a Qudelix 5k or Btr 5. Also is tantalus the best option for vocal-centric music. Thanks
I have both the Qudelix and Btr5. They drive the TGXear just fine. To be safe, you can get the lower Ohm models like the Ripples or the new Sunniva so that the amps can be more efficient.

Jun 13, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #1,297 of 1,872
Picked up my Sunniva ❤️.

These are sounding amazing. I'll do a 4 way comparison with my buds at some point.
Very nice Nate! I really like the blue cable, I have the same on my Serratus.. a little stiff but not horrible by any means. Enjoy!! My Sunniva #13 just shipped :)

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #1,298 of 1,872
I know everyone is into Sunniva right now, and I'm a bit behind, but I had a very generous friend who was willing to ship and let me borrow Totem for a bit to try out. I wanted to share my impressions on it.

I own and have been using Serratus for the past few months and loved every minute of it. I listen to quite a few different genres, but my main listening revolves around varying types of metal. I thought Serratus was my endgame and that it would be my favorite... boy, was I wrong.

I made it two songs in before Totem showed me everything I didn't know I was missing with Serratus. Totem is very fast, doesn't get congested, and the timbre is another leap up. The mids are incredible, and the treble is very crisp and detailed. The soundstage is still very wide with great separation and imaging. Totem puts me on the stage, while Serratus gives me a front-row seat.

However, it definitely doesn't replace Serratus, even with all that. Especially on some of the less chaotic symphonic metal with actual composed orchestral arrangements or even some more ambient black metal, Serratus just gives a sense of endless notes that seem to ring out to infinity all around you in a giant concert hall. I would say they both complement each other nicely, and depending on my mood, I would easily reach for one or the other.

My wife also gave it a quick photo shoot, so please enjoy some glamour shots.

Totem3.jpg

Totem1-2.jpg
Totem7.jpg

Jun 13, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #1,299 of 1,872
I know everyone is into Sunniva right now, and I'm a bit behind, but I had a very generous friend who was willing to ship and let me borrow Totem for a bit to try out. I wanted to share my impressions on it.

I own and have been using Serratus for the past few months and loved every minute of it. I listen to quite a few different genres, but my main listening revolves around varying types of metal. I thought Serratus was my endgame and that it would be my favorite... boy, was I wrong.

I made it two songs in before Totem showed me everything I didn't know I was missing with Serratus. Totem is very fast, doesn't get congested, and the timbre is another leap up. The mids are incredible, and the treble is very crisp and detailed. The soundstage is still very wide with great separation and imaging. Totem puts me on the stage, while Serratus gives me a front-row seat.

However, it definitely doesn't replace Serratus, even with all that. Especially on some of the less chaotic symphonic metal with actual composed orchestral arrangements or even some more ambient black metal, Serratus just gives a sense of endless notes that seem to ring out to infinity all around you in a giant concert hall. I would say they both complement each other nicely, and depending on my mood, I would easily reach for one or the other.

My wife also gave it a quick photo shoot, so please enjoy some glamour shots.

Totem3.jpg
Totem1-2.jpgTotem7.jpg
Very interesting thank you. The Serratus is having the most praise, but it does have a flaw which I can't say about any other TGX, and the flaw is the highs that can be crazy hot. Does the Totem need EQ ? From what I've understood from the comments in here, no.

Jun 13, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #1,300 of 1,872
Very interesting thank you. The Serratus is having the most praise, but it does have a flaw which I can't say about any other TGX, and the flaw is the highs that can be crazy hot. Does the Totem need EQ ? From what I've understood from the comments in here, no.
Hmm.. To be clear I don't normally use EQ, I don't think I would change anything on Totem though. It's blowing me away across the board as an incredible all rounder. As for Serratus, I don't mind the highs at all. In fact on some of my library I want a bit more from the mid treble area (other parts of the library wouldn't work well with a boost here though). I think I am what is considered a treble head haha. I crave details and want to hear every little nuance in a song and I feel Totem represents that better for the most part.

Jun 13, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #1,301 of 1,872
I've found the Totem to be a bit bloated and congested if not placed just right in my ear. Serratus I've never had that issue as the fit works better 99% of the time for me. Serratus has a very clear, thinner and brighter sound with a big emphasis on subbass compared to the Totem which is much more well rounded in general. It's hard for me to decide which to keep as there are clear pros and cons with each model, not like one replaces the other.

Jun 13, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #1,302 of 1,872
I've found the Totem to be a bit bloated and congested if not placed just right in my ear. Serratus I've never had that issue as the fit works better 99% of the time for me. Serratus has a very clear, thinner and brighter sound with a big emphasis on subbass compared to the Totem which is much more well rounded in general. It's hard for me to decide which to keep as there are clear pros and cons with each model, not like one replaces the other.
What shell type do you have with the totem ?

Jun 13, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #1,304 of 1,872
SS bell. Very hard to get the right fit for me (some people say their ears are too big for bell housing - I think mine are too small)
Sorry to hear that. Please PM me if you want your Bell Totem exchanged to the MX500 version.

Jun 13, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #1,305 of 1,872
Hmm.. To be clear I don't normally use EQ, I don't think I would change anything on Totem though. It's blowing me away across the board as an incredible all rounder. As for Serratus, I don't mind the highs at all. In fact on some of my library I want a bit more from the mid treble area (other parts of the library wouldn't work well with a boost here though). I think I am what is considered a treble head haha. I crave details and want to hear every little nuance in a song and I feel Totem represents that better for the most part.
Ever tried Carbon? :p think you might like it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back