TGXEAR discussion thread.
Apr 23, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #1,846 of 1,851
I just bought my first Tgxear bud off of the classifieds - a Tantalus. Plugged into my ADI-2, I'm shocked at how competitive it is with my HD800S and Ampsandsound Leeloo tube amp ($2k new, successor to the ZMF Pendant) combination. Now I have to resist the urge to immediately try all the other Tgxear buds :)

One question, does anyone use their earbuds with tube amps? The Leeloo is a SET amp with a high impedance output and very low background noise, but the Tantalus sounds markedly worse with it (restricted and congested) than with the solid state ADI-2. Do any of the Tgxear buds work well with tube amps?
Tantalus is a warm set, so the added warmth from a tube probably isn't the best synergy.

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:45 AM Post #1,847 of 1,851
You can find them on AliExpress. If you bought directly from Jim, you may want to reach out and see if he's willing to send you some
Thanks, Jim is kind enough to contact me and will send me some.

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #1,848 of 1,851
I agree. Also, nice to hear Ripples mention. All too often I feel like Ripples seems under-appreciated. I love that tone and timbre. I hear it instantly when I listen to something orchestral.
Ripples is so good. The tuning is perfect for me and the timbre is top-tier. I wish the technicalities were a little better, but for sheer enjoyment, it’s hard to beat. I agree that it’s gotten overlooked as Jim has released other models, and I’ve often thought about selling it, but always end up keeping it. I currently use it with my DC-Elite, which can be a little cold and uninviting.
I just bought my first Tgxear bud off of the classifieds - a Tantalus. Plugged into my ADI-2, I'm shocked at how competitive it is with my HD800S and Ampsandsound Leeloo tube amp ($2k new, successor to the ZMF Pendant) combination. Now I have to resist the urge to immediately try all the other Tgxear buds :)

One question, does anyone use their earbuds with tube amps? The Leeloo is a SET amp with a high impedance output and very low background noise, but the Tantalus sounds markedly worse with it (restricted and congested) than with the solid state ADI-2. Do any of the Tgxear buds work well with tube amps?
I used to own Serratus and thought it meshed well with tubes. Desolation Sound also meshes very well with tubes - tubes add some welcome weight to DS for me, which I sometimes find a little slight and emotionally unengaging.

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #1,849 of 1,851
Apr 24, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #1,850 of 1,851
Ripples is so good. The tuning is perfect for me and the timbre is top-tier. I wish the technicalities were a little better, but for sheer enjoyment, it’s hard to beat. I agree that it’s gotten overlooked as Jim has released other models, and I’ve often thought about selling it, but always end up keeping it. I currently use it with my DC-Elite, which can be a little cold and uninviting.
+1. I love Ripples and agree that it is so underrated!

Congrats to Jim for getting one of his buds sold through Penon. Penon announced they are now listing Revelstoke at their online store.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-18088758
Congrats @tgx78!
Thanks, Jim is kind enough to contact me and will send me some.
Jim is the GOAT!

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #1,851 of 1,851
Tantalus is a warm set, so the added warmth from a tube probably isn't the best synergy.

Just my two cents/pence on this because it might help someone. I spent a good while running the Alpha via OTL and infact the shear power managed to improve treble and air, effectively brightening it's tonality. Tubes can be rolled to achieve a 'brighter' picture and the power that some OTLs deliver really improves dynamics, transients and technicalities.

Nonetheless, what you say could be true. I haven't heard the Tantalus (or the OP's chain) and I read that it's less sensitive and more warm by comparison to the Alpha. Maybe it would be just too dark a picture to brighten with tubes?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back