Testing audiophile claims and myths
Nov 21, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #1,636 of 17,336
Quote:
You EE chap(?) is wrong. I have measured the output levels from 3 different DAC and/or CDP combinations there can be anywhere up to a 0.5V difference in line levels !  Also look at some StereoPhile measurements on digital components they frequently show big variations away from the nominal !

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't level matching at one frequency (as the EE pointed out) incomplete as far as the listening test is concerned? I would think it is.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #1,637 of 17,336
Onlymif the frequency response isn't flat, and that's what you're doing the listening test to determine.

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #1,639 of 17,336
Quote:
So testing at one frequency is the norm as far as level matching source components are concerned?

The DAC or whatever is being compared is supposed to have a flat frequency response, so if the levels are matched at 1 kHz, they should be matched at other frequencies, too (except maybe some minor roll-off at the ends of the audio frequency range). If the frequency response is not flat, the result of the test will be positive anyway.

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #1,642 of 17,336
Quote:
If both of the two DAC's don't have flat frequency response, then they very well may sound different!

Though the deviation from flat would have to be pretty large (anywhere from 1 to 3 db in parts) and fall into the category of badly engineered or tweako. Some manufacturers (such as Wadia) do alter the FR or have sets of filters to have a HF roll-off that can start as low as 5Hkz and reach as much as -6db at 20Khz. Some may find this pleasant to listen to but high fidelity (accurate) it is not - some manufacturers manage this inadvertently - that falls into the category of gross incompetence.

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,643 of 17,336
Quote:
>45 dB increase at low frequencies according to benchmark when going from an output impedance of 0.01 ohms to 30 ohms using an MDR-V6 (60 ohm) as load. That's only THD though.

do you think 0.3% THD at these lowest frequencies is audible?  here's what Douglas Self has to say regarding THD audibility (go down to #4): http://www.douglas-self.com/ampins/pseudo/subjectv.htm

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #1,644 of 17,336
Probably not, but that was just a random example. Other amplifiers may have higher output impedance and higher distortion.

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #1,645 of 17,336
Quote:
Probably not, but that was just a random example. Other amplifiers may have higher output impedance and higher distortion.

i wonder what the change in THD would look like post transducer?  i currently have a 100R impedance adapter to use with my AKG K702/K601/K271.  subjectively, the FR sounds much more balanced.  i'm intentionally coloring an amplifier to make an inherently colored transducer sound less colored 
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #1,646 of 17,336
I would think the distortion created by the transducer dwarfs anything even the most mediocre amp creates. In general THD is no longer much of an issue in solid state electronics.

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #1,647 of 17,336
Quote:
I would think the distortion created by the transducer dwarfs anything even the most mediocre amp creates. In general THD is no longer much of an issue in solid state electronics.

this makes sense to me.  

don't be afraid to adjust the FR of a HP with a series resistor in both channels.  i find EQing to be a pain in the ass.  line-level matching with a DVM when comparing components is a PITA, but necessary - if both components aren't matched in loudness, what's the point of comparing A/B or DBT?  

i'm really enjoying my K702/K601/K271 from the Benchmark DAC1, but with an 100R impedance adapter.  both of these components have the reputation of being itty-bitty-spitty in the upper-mids and lower-treble.  the 100R on the AKG702 results in a DF = 0.6...and it sounds great.  without the 100R dongle, it hurts to listen to music above 70dB.  the K601 is a champ as well.  

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #1,648 of 17,336
Quote:
i wonder what the change in THD would look like post transducer?

It is not an accurate comparison because the levels are different (106 dB SPL vs. 100), but here is the THD+N vs. frequency measured at the amplifier output with a damping factor of 10 (Benchmark), and the acoustic output with a damping factor above 150 (InnerFidelity):

Of course, acoustic measurements are less accurate and reliable, and since it is not the same pair of headphones, random manufacturing variation in the transducers is also an issue.

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #1,650 of 17,336
Quote:
Quote:
i wonder what the change in THD would look like post transducer?

It is not an accurate comparison because the levels are different (106 dB SPL vs. 100), but here is the THD+N vs. frequency measured at the amplifier output with a damping factor of 10 (Benchmark), and the acoustic output with a damping factor above 150 (InnerFidelity):

Of course, acoustic measurements are less accurate and reliable, and since it is not the same pair of headphones, random manufacturing variation in the transducers is also an issue.

...(it was a silly question, I read one of the legends wrong)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back