Testing audiophile claims and myths
Jan 26, 2024 at 2:40 AM Post #17,086 of 17,336
you guys are drifting off, I fear...

That said, paying a lot of money can certainly "improve the experience"...
Either because the haptics and overall handling of something gets better, or because you simply love spending money and convincing yourself that you bought quality.

I recently showed a friend my "new" Yamaha C-T710 (vintage AM/FM tuner) in my shrine to Yamaha.
He loved it and said that the poti on the Yamaha A-S2100 (modern integrated amplifier) almost felt "bad" compared to the tuner wheel on that 50+ year old tuner.
And I have to agree, the feeling on the tuner is out of this world. (And I haven't even connected it to my stereo.. it's just there to fill a space in the rack :D )
What exactly do you mean with "We are drifting off"? This thread is off-topic since years

Jan 26, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #17,088 of 17,336
because you guys started to talk about subjective matters as if they were scientific facts..
"I tuned this to be top of the line quality sound".. "to get perfect sound, you need to spend x amount of money", etc.
I did not say any of these, but i know what posts you mean. But still, this thread is off-topic since years, no matter if it was scientific off-topic or voodoo off-topic

Jan 26, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #17,089 of 17,336
gregorio said:
2. We live in a “post truth” world. It’s far more acceptable/fashionable to be suckered by “fake news” and insult others than it used to be. There was a time, not that many years ago, when demonstrating gullibility and ignorance was something to be embarrassed about and avoided, rather than be proud of!

Of which I suggested snake oilmanship/ audiophilia wasn't new.

No, it’s not new but then I didn’t state it was new. I just stated it’s far more acceptable/fashionable than it used to be, as many more people seem to not be bothered by publicly demonstrating their gullibility and ignorance. Also, I wasn’t talking about “mumbo jumbo”, false marketing or “fake news”, obviously there’s always been some/a lot of that, I was talking about people’s willingness to publicly demonstrate that they’ve been suckered by it/are ignorant.

G
The quote I initially responded to was exactly what you’re denying here! Pot kettle: you have sometimes admitted to being an engineer who isn’t concerned with the consumer end. Keep believing that when it comes to home Atmos, there’s hidden streams that the video encoder doesn’t see, (as you maintained that DD+ with Atmos has hidden, static 7.1.4 channels somewhere). Or wanting to argue ad infinitum about context of a stream being a child of an audio track vs substream to stream.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #17,090 of 17,336
gregorio said:
2. We live in a “post truth” world. It’s far more acceptable/fashionable to be suckered by “fake news” and insult others than it used to be. There was a time, not that many years ago, when demonstrating gullibility and ignorance was something to be embarrassed about and avoided, rather than be proud of!

Of which I suggested snake oilmanship/ audiophilia wasn't new.

The quote I initially responded to was exactly what you’re denying here! Pot kettle: you have sometimes admitted to being an engineer who isn’t concerned with the consumer end. Keep believing that when it comes to home Atmos, there’s hidden streams that the video encoder doesn’t see, (as you maintained that DD+ with Atmos has hidden, static 7.1.4 channels somewhere). Or wanting to argue ad infinitum about context of a stream being a child of an audio track vs substream to stream.
Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?!

You should know full well, that this "argument" will just spiral on and on without anyone ever getting anything out of it, except wasted time.

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #17,091 of 17,336
Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?!

You should know full well, that this "argument" will just spiral on and on without anyone ever getting anything out of it, except wasted time.
Sorry, I just find it really hypocritical when gregorio talks down to people while only sometimes prefacing "I don't mean to be combative". To say he didn't say the exact words I quoted. Or try to argue from authority of being an engineer while avoiding what Dolby says for rendered consumer audio (as well as what my video editing software says as to what is contained in a DD+ Atmos track). I'm sorry that it's personal "argument": I'll let the group continue the never ending argument of money spent for high fidelity.

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #17,092 of 17,336
Sorry, I just find it really hypocritical when gregorio talks down to people while only sometimes prefacing "I don't mean to be combative". To say he didn't say the exact words I quoted. Or try to argue from authority of being an engineer while avoiding what Dolby says for rendered consumer audio (as well as what my video editing software says as to what is contained in a DD+ Atmos track). I'm sorry that it's personal "argument": I'll let the group continue the never ending argument of money spent for high fidelity.
To be fair, he does this since more than a year constantly to everyone. So he is at least consistent with his behavior^^ This is not the only thread he is active in and he behaves identical in all threads.

So at this point, it breaks my heart to say, its rather your fault to talk to him in the first place^^ If we stop feeding him, this thread can rest in peace

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #17,093 of 17,336
So at this point, it breaks my heard to say, its rather your fault to talk to him in the first place^^ If we stop feeding him, this thread can rest in peace
OK, I hear you:smile_phones: It's too bad that one can't engage in intellectual argument, since he can be knowledgeable about audio principles. Instead it's a shouting match of "I didn't say that", or accusing me of not understanding the context of when a child of a video track is a stream or substream. I'm letting it go.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #17,094 of 17,336
To be fair, he does this since more than a year constantly to everyone. So he is at least consistent with his behavior^^ This is not the only thread he is active in and he behaves identical in all threads.

So at this point, it breaks my heart to say, its rather your fault to talk to him in the first place^^ If we stop feeding him, this thread can rest in peace
Yup.

Bear in mind that among gregorio's gems are that pianos aren't complex harmonic sound sources and that audio processing isn't meant to make audio sound better, among lots of other nonsense. So I wouldn't take what he says too seriously.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #17,095 of 17,336
Yup.

Bear in mind that among gregorio's gems are that pianos aren't complex harmonic sound sources and that audio processing isn't meant to make audio sound better, among lots of other nonsense. So I wouldn't take what he says too seriously.

That's your take on this discussion? Two out of context quotes to create a strawman? Perhaps you should put away your personal biases and try again.

You may not like Gregorio's approach, but to suggest he isn't knowledgeable is absurd based on available content. You, however, don't seem to offer anything other than uninformed opinions based on vendor marketing spiel and what appears to be a sizable knowledge gap in the topics you are attempting to participate in.

Given that, why are you here and not in the Cables, Unicorns, and Green Marker subforum? Just stopping by Sound Science to troll?

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #17,097 of 17,336
I got fired today. Betrayal is in the air.

Is the piano hard to record? The first page of google search suggests that it... very well may be.

Jan 26, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #17,100 of 17,336
Some very clever people have thought too much about a subject and it has taken a severe toll on their mental wellbeing. The book Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance is one example and another was a story about a master swordsman who was asked to explain what made him so highly accomplished which resulted in him spending the rest of his life trying to be as good as he once was (he just did it without too much thought).
Maybe many are in similar danger for always searching for something that improves on what they already consider sonically to be very good instead of just enjoying what they currently own, even if they know certain areas can be improved on? I know I can sometimes concentrate overly on what I'm using instead of what is being played.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back