Testing audiophile claims and myths
Nov 29, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #10,996 of 17,336
I don't mind being a troublemaker as long as I am a lovable troublemaker.

Nov 29, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #10,997 of 17,336
That the problem does not happen running music from itunes over an ipad trough a pair of Bose QC 35IIs connected wirelessly with noise cancelling on is akin to saying that you can not tell the difference in a newly changed chicane of a Formula 1 race track, intended to slow the racing cars down and bring more safety - when driving a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow ( bulletproof, heavy armor plated version ) over that course. That RR can not accelerate, decelerate, maintain the number of Gs in a curve, etc, etc - not nearly even in the ballpark of any lightweight racing car with much, much more power per unit weight.

Music itself is an EXTREMELY difficult - and above all, FAST - "racing course". And you can't slow it down live, in air... you would have to introduce different gas, one that changes the pitch of sound source and still allows breathing and survival. All the mumbo jumbo against HR digital here is the last ditch effort to somehow justify the RBCD, its existence, designers and its stubborn adoption by the - still - most music industry.

The best HR possible today is on the brink of achieving enough for the sonics to be "perfect beyond meaningful improvement " That is to say bandwidth to 100 kHz is possible with today's best commercially available equipment.

Compared to the above, the setup from your description is even worse than that hypothetical armor plated Silver Shadow trying to negotiate a race course.

Oh goodie! Can I be silly too?

:alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien:
:L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000:
YOU WIN! YOU WIN! YOU WIN! YOU WIN! YOU WIN!
:L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000:
:alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::robot::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien:

:anguished::anguished::anguished:Are you. . . . the real JABBERWOCK?????:anguished::anguished::anguished:

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #10,999 of 17,336

It is NOT about winning, being vindicated, etc - it is about recording present, living artists in the best possible way.

We personally may never be able to hear these HR recordings in our lifetime to the full benefit the "inaudible information to the human ears" can potentially bring - but within next say 50 years, technology might advance forward enough and more widespread adoption of QUALITY might bring the price of admission within the reach of ordinary people.

Going to and keeping only to RBCD certainly CAN NOT accomplish that goal.

Nov 29, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #11,000 of 17,336
It is NOT about winning, being vindicated, etc - it is about recording present, living artists in the best possible way.

We personally may never be able to hear these HR recordings in our lifetime to the full benefit the "inaudible information to the human ears" can potentially bring - but within next say 50 years, technology might advance forward enough and more widespread adoption of QUALITY might bring the price of admission within the reach of ordinary people.

Oh no you are wrong my friend.....its about having the best stereo system ever....and whoever has it ....we must alll bow down and kiss his lucky ass!Btw if you believe this to be untrue i await you're graphs ect proving it untrue.....until then....

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #11,001 of 17,336
Oh no you are wrong my friend.....its about having the best stereo system ever....and whoever has it ....we must alll bow down and kiss his lucky ass!
Oh no you are wrong my friend.....its about having the best stereo system ever....and whoever has it ....we must alll bow down and kiss his lucky ass!

I certainly do hope it is NOT about that.

Nov 29, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #11,003 of 17,336
Oh no you are wrong my friend.....its about having the best stereo system ever....and whoever has it ....we must alll bow down and kiss his lucky ass!Btw if you believe this to be untrue i await you're graphs ect proving it untrue.....until then....

I thought it was all about whose file size is bigger.

Nov 29, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #11,004 of 17,336
I thought it was all about whose file size is bigger.
You may be right....I'm not that well educated in the digital stuff...workin on it though.....have you seen some of the speakers available nowadays though....we need an analogue SS forum thread...the digital thing has been flogged to death...might actually be able to improve things in the analog domain.

Nov 29, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #11,005 of 17,336

The Hunting of the Snark
By Lewis Carroll

Fit the First
The Landing

"Just the place for a Snark!" the Bellman cried,
As he landed his crew with care;
Supporting each man on the top of the tide
By a finger entwined in his hair.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #11,009 of 17,336
Well I am inspired. I have this audio problem I am going to try and figure out and I'll figure it out and write up what my guesses were and the details and how I did it. It has to do with what I regard as a clearly audible problem with a source. I plan on resolving it. After I fix it maybe some of the more knowledgeable people here will have a technical answer as to what was wrong. I am not going to provide further details at this second because I don't feel like it. Variables will be sources, computers, DACs, USB interfaces, headphones, and headphone amps. At a minimum I'll let you know when the problem does happen and when it doesn't happen after trying different combinations of things. My view is it shouldn't happen so something is less than optimal in my system. I know I can work around it but I want to achieve the most minimal workaround possible and still get clean sound.

First datapoint: The problem doesn't happen running music from Itunes over an Ipad through a pair of Bose QC 35 IIs connected wirelessly with noise cancelling on. I've fixed audio problems a million times before in my life-I hate anything other than clean output-but rarely do I know or understand why what I did worked. It's a garble of trial and error.

That the problem does not happen running music from itunes over an ipad trough a pair of Bose QC 35IIs connected wirelessly with noise cancelling on is akin to saying that you can not tell the difference in a newly changed chicane of a Formula 1 race track, intended to slow the racing cars down and bring more safety - when driving a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow ( bulletproof, heavy armor plated version ) over that course. That RR can not accelerate, decelerate, maintain the number of Gs in a curve, etc, etc - not nearly even in the ballpark of any lightweight racing car with much, much more power per unit weight.

Music itself is an EXTREMELY difficult - and above all, FAST - "racing course". And you can't slow it down live, in air... you would have to introduce different gas, one that changes the pitch of sound source and still allows breathing and survival. All the mumbo jumbo against HR digital here is the last ditch effort to somehow justify the RBCD, its existence, designers and its stubborn adoption by the - still - most music industry.

The best HR possible today is on the brink of achieving enough for the sonics to be "perfect beyond meaningful improvement " That is to say bandwidth to 100 kHz is possible with today's best commercially available equipment.

Compared to the above, the setup from your description is even worse than that hypothetical armor plated Silver Shadow trying to negotiate a race course.

With the wise guidance of @analogsurviver (see above, I am so so sorry, I really do like you, but that was really a show-stopper of analogy soup, I think it should be elevated to a head-fi classic!) I have completed my testing. The status is: problem fixed, I have no idea why.

I traced the problem to clipping on a Windows PC in Itunes of Apple streamed or Apple DRM'ed music during intense (loud) passages. Everything else was as clean as clean can be, all other music. The same music Itunes had trouble with, Spotify seemed quite smooth. Didn't matter what DAC, headphones, etc., I used, it seemed like it was just plain Itunes doing some good old digital clipping. I googled the situation and saw many people had similar troubles with Itunes and there were different fixes over the years depending on the version of Itunes. I fiddled with some computer settings accordingly. All I can tell you for now is that the problem is gone. Everything sounds smooth as silk. Maybe it will come back! But for now it is goner than gone.

If anyone has a theory as to why Itunes would clip like that during loud passages with streamed or DRM'ed music, and how to prevent or fix it, I'd love to know. :)

I wonder a little if it was some electronics that were on earlier on the night that are not on now, but that's not really logical, not consistent with all of the other stuff I ruled out (DACs, headphones, amps, etc.).

And @analogsurviver , just for you I was sure to include use of headphones that cost $30 but with extension well over 20 khz!

See https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-2/graph#471/2031

Right now I am using an old pair of Sony MDR-CD780s. Oldies but goodies.

But still I drive those slow slow Bose QC35 IIs around on the subway sometimes, through some thick inert gas, not keeping pace around the track in my Rolls Royce Silver Shadow (bulletproof, heavy armor plated version) on the Formula 1 race track, and the Formula 1s pass me by, yet under the weight of my momentum in my Rolls Royce tank I fall off the edge of the cliff around a corner on an unfenced edge of the track at about 16 khz! Do I have that about right? :thinking:

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-2/graph#471/2031/565.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #11,010 of 17,336
My theory is that people who don't expect to hear differences have their attention less powerfully focused on detecting differences...
And that, therefore, they will prove less sensitive to small but real differences.
In colloquial terms" You are less likely to notice something if your attention isn't on it; and your attention is less likely to be focused on something you don't expect to be there."
(This is simply based on the well known fact, proven many times in other contexts, that we humans tend not to notice things we aren't paying attention to.)
Your video clip example would almost certainly yield interesting results.
I suspect that, if you created a clip with many small differences, you could "control what people saw" simply buy making suggestions about what changes "they should keep an eye out for".
Many studies suggest that we "see" a very small percentage of what our eyes pick up... based on where "our brain's attention is focused".
Even worse, since our brain controls our eyes, even what our eyes pick up is going to vary depending on where the attention of our brain is focused.
(There have been some very comical examples of this - where participants failed to see huge signs projected on the ceiling during a lecture simply because "they had no reason to look up".)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back