Testing audiophile claims and myths
Apr 10, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #4,338 of 17,336
  You can mock as you please, but the above would most probably never hold in the listening room.

I think it will... just imagine the poor guys listening to CDs with the CD player trying to spin backwards... it must be a mess... an inverted mat should solve the problem... but anyways they must have their own brands with that feature....

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #4,339 of 17,336
  Interesting, I will have to try this one too.

(…)

Here comes the clincher :  no time were the errors you all are obviously so preventing to occur while copying AUDIBLE. According to at least one result, my copy SHOULD sound like - shiit. No way this was borne out in listening - EVER.

But playing back the CD in a normal CD player with or without CD mat is instantly audible. And copy made using mat during ripping and burning sounds also better than the one that used mat only during ripping OR burning - let alone one not using mat at all.

In short - errors other than that as displayed by numbers of any of these "exact copy" methods have to be at work during normal playback on CD (DVD, did not try Blue Ray) players. Picture improvement on the DVD players that can use CD mat ( usually spin-up in certain models precludes use of mat ) is CLEARLY VISIBLE.

This is an honest question - I am not making this up. Even if it turns out CD ripping without mat using "exact" methods is good enough for creating file to be listened from HDD/SDD, I would still like to know how and why it makes so audible difference when playing disc back by a player.

I think you already know the answer to this. Just man up and admit it to yourself.

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #4,340 of 17,336
  This is an honest question - I am not making this up. Even if it turns out CD ripping without mat using "exact" methods is good enough for creating file to be listened from HDD/SDD, I would still like to know how and why it makes so audible difference when playing disc back by a player.

Because you knew the CD mat was in the player?
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #4,341 of 17,336
  Because you knew the CD mat was in the player?
wink.gif

Guys, chill up a bit.

How many of you are musicians?

How many of you are SINGERS ?

How many of you are singers that won http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Grand_Prix_for_Choral_Singing  ?

How many of you are conductors that won the above - TWICE ?

I am not a musician, can not sing (at least not well... ) - but working with the above cats did teach me a thing or two.

And they clearly rejected some things I thought/hoped for to be better and an improvement over the previous.

YET THEY ARE ALL ANONIMOUS REGARDING THE CD MAT.

Got it ?

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #4,342 of 17,336

Placebo. Digitally you are only storing ones and zeros so if you get an exact match you have an exact match. 
Reminds me of the arguing over decoding Dolby True HD/DTS-HDMA in the player or AVR. If no other processing (DSP) is done the sound is exactly the same yet people insist that their AVR or player does it better.

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #4,343 of 17,336
  Placebo. Digitally you are only storing ones and zeros so if you get an exact match you have an exact match. 
Reminds me of the arguing over decoding Dolby True HD/DTS-HDMA in the player or AVR. If no other processing (DSP) is done the sound is exactly the same yet people insist that their AVR or player does it better.

This particular bucket does NOT hold water.

No idea regarding Dolby etc - never tried that - but CD playback in CD players is affected by mat (except turntable like platters that support the CD across entire surface of the label side and laser reads them from the top - or those that have slot loading too thin to allow additional 0.3 mm or so thick disk ).

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #4,344 of 17,336

with or without the MAT?

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #4,345 of 17,336
  This particular bucket does NOT hold water.

No idea regarding Dolby etc - never tried that - but CD playback in CD players is affected by mat (except turntable like platters that support the CD across entire surface of the label side and laser reads them from the top - or those that have slot loading too thin to allow additional 0.3 mm or so thick disk ).

That is your opinion which has never been able to be validated by legit ABX testing or similar bias free methodology. 
I view a cd mat like I view people who love BOSE - if you're happy does it matter

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #4,346 of 17,336
  Guys, chill up a bit.

How many of you are musicians?

How many of you are SINGERS ?

How many of you are singers that won http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Grand_Prix_for_Choral_Singing  ?

How many of you are conductors that won the above - TWICE ?

I am not a musician, can not sing (at least not well... ) - but working with the above cats did teach me a thing or two.

And they clearly rejected some things I thought/hoped for to be better and an improvement over the previous.

YET THEY ARE ALL ANONIMOUS REGARDING THE CD MAT.

Got it ?

Chill? I'm not the one wasting the caps lock key.

Appeal to authority is not a valid argument. Just because a few guys told you it's 'better' doesn't mean it's definitive proof. If you're convincing yourself, I don't care what you think. However, if you're gonna convince others, try harder.

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #4,347 of 17,336
  That is your opinion which has never been alke to be validated by legit ABX testing or similar bias free methodology. 
I view a cd mat like I view people who love BOSE - if you're happy does it matter

You will have the opportunity to listen and compare the files in few days.

When playing a CD by a CD player in real time, there is no going back and re-reading the sector(s) that were not read 100% correct. Same with DVD player. Whatever the errors this may produce, IS reduced>eliminated with the use of mat.

Ripping with Nero is done much the same way, only it is done faster. I will upload files for you to compare/listen/evaluate with software/whatever . 

Each 30 seconds (copyright etc limit) sample will be uploaded twice - once with the mat, once without . Random sequence - And after a reasonable time, I will publish the results of everyone that will participate in the test.

I do not like Bose (with the exception of using 901 Pro Version (no idea how it is really called) for the live concert centre speaker for singers - normal left and right positioned walls of speakers produce the voice of the singer as wide as the stage itself - something I hate to the max. Clever PA engineers know how to use this to a much more natural sounding amplified concert ).

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #4,348 of 17,336
Finish this discussion now. I thought Ive read somewhere that analogsurvivor will be conducting a test this week/near future, lets STOP this endless discussion with no final words until he has come up with test data. If it's a myth, we will know soon.

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #4,349 of 17,336
Quote analogsurviver:
 Same question as for EAC - can it be kept from spinning - EVER - faster than say 10x

EAC can, don't know about other ripping-software, because EAC was the first I tried and never looked for a replacement ..

Either way, ripping with a mat is just placing more weight on the drive, it has absolutely ZERO influence on the final result .
And I "seriously doubt" it has any influence on playback either .
But hey, the laws of expectation-bias states that if you expect it to sound better with a mat -
It will sound better, at least to you and anyone else whom you have told that it sounds better .
Until you make a proper DBT and realise that it makes no difference at all .

You still owe to tell us exactly how vinyl is superior to digital ..

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #4,350 of 17,336
When playing a CD by a CD player in real time, there is no going back and re-reading the sector(s) that were not read 100% correct. Same with DVD player. Whatever the errors this may produce, IS reduced>eliminated with the use of mat.

Not true, there is a buffer for just such an issue (difficulty reading a sector). If you exceed the buffer then yes you will have an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back