Testing audiophile claims and myths
Apr 9, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #4,291 of 17,336
  I'm an old dog, I have grown with vinyl, on my late twenties, the CD come along and I've never looked back... free at last...

Many people tried to convince me the there was nothing like vinyl... (audiosnobs?)

The fact is that they are growing... every time I enter my favorite music store the CD shells are shrinking and the vinyl ones are growing... it seems that the ritual is growing with the deafness... or they just don't like to listen to MUSIC but just like the ritual and show to their snob friends "Hey, Have you seen my Ferrari?"

I doubt vinyl is growing because it's selling more than CDs. CDs are dying due to streaming or online downloads. CDs are increasingly becoming expensive distribution medium compared to streaming/downloads. I bought less than 10 CDs in the last 5 years. All of them never saw any light since ripping them to ALAC. Never played them ( not even once) on any cd player. The only reason I bought the CDs is because I can't find them being offered online or streaming.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #4,292 of 17,336
I doubt vinyl is growing because it's selling more than CDs. CDs are dying due to streaming or online downloads.

It's also just too easy to buy CDs online. Go to Amazon (or some other music site), listen to the songs, and if you like, order it right then instead of driving to the CD store where you can't even listen to them.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #4,293 of 17,336
  Fluff as in mistake or the release of gas? 
biggrin.gif
 In this context, either works for me.
I don't give this a Buckley's chance of coming out right.

OK, now we're entering bogan territory.
biggrin.gif

We'll end up asking,"Which Drongo opened their lunch?" Perhaps they'll let us know the results of the ABX testing of hires fluffs.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #4,294 of 17,336

Wait, wait: you're changing 2 variables by doing that. Keep the rip speed constant, and test only the presence of the mat. THEN we're talking.

Also, my bad. Here's hoping everyone still remembers it next week.

Any testing will be constant speed, the only difference being absence or presence of the mat. 

I only cited that fast vs slow copy making as producing so obviously different results an ABX is REALLY not warranted.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #4,295 of 17,336
CDs that are in good condition can be ripped at high speed without error. 

Just think, data programs - which are not allowed ANY errors during the installation read - have no problem installing at high speed if the disk isn't damaged. The error correction scheme in audio CDs isn't a robust as for data, but it is still effective. 

Many audio ripping programs include an error correction mode that will re-read a damaged or poorly aligned CD sector. When your drive slows down during a rip that is generally the reason. 

So, just make sure error correction is turned on for your ripper (or switch to a ripper that includes it.) During simple data transfer (which is what ripping a CD to a hard drive is doing) jitter and other audiophile concerns are not an issue. (Jitter is only an issue when the conversion from digital to analog takes place.) Your only concern is an accurate read of the disk.

From a Microsoft Software engineer

of course the ability to read a cd matters - if there are scratches or other imperfections or issues with the physical media than that certainly can affect things and cause increase in time as several attempts may need to be made to get a clean read -remember we are only copying ones and zeros on a rip there is no "varying value" that need be recorded. If you feel otherwise I have some fabulous premium HDMI cables I can let go for a steal :wink: 

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #4,296 of 17,336
  I'm an old dog, I have grown with vinyl, on my late twenties, the CD come along and I've never looked back... free at last...

Many people tried to convince me the there was nothing like vinyl... (audiosnobs?)

The fact is that they are growing... every time I enter my favorite music store the CD shells are shrinking and the vinyl ones are growing... it seems that the ritual is growing with the deafness... or they just don't like to listen to MUSIC but just like the ritual and show to their snob friends "Hey, Have you seen my Ferrari?"

Like the other guy said, most of that is caused by the increasing availability of downloadable music, but it IS true that vinyl-sales are increasing and you can even buy
USB-turntables (!!) ..

I think it's mostly caused by this :

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #4,299 of 17,336
  Nope. I know exactly how my master recordings have been processed.

Beyond that, you are right.

So do you only listen to music that you recorded and mastered yourself or something?  Did you supervise their entire production?

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #4,302 of 17,336

So do you only listen to music that you recorded and mastered yourself or something?  Did you supervise their entire production?

Of course not. I was listening and am still listening to recordings of others - ALWAYS interesting to hear how various aspects have been tackled throughout the history, technology changes,  record labels, engineers, etc. I own around 2K of LPs and , one way or another, couple hundred CDs - plus my recordings. 

No, I do not supervise the entire production. I do not do editing/mastering. Since my recordings are ALWAYS two mike only, there is no "mixing" in conventional sense possible - making a voice or instrument louder or quieter in the "mix" is impossible, as well as "placing" it in the "space" - it HAS to be done right on the spot. That means mastering is reduced to cutting and pasting together outtakes from various takes that fit musically together (rhytm, pitch, etc), producing hopefully something that fits together so well that even very critical listening will not reveal cut. I fortunately have a friend who has such a feeling and technical expertise to do it right.

Given the perfect playing, my recordings do not require any further intervention - except bouncing down to whatever format. There exist one CD that is issued without a sigle cut - simple the best take was selected for the release. Unfortunately, in the end it was decided to compress the dynamic range - something I will never allow again.

Due to financial constraints, all recordings issued so far are on CD - but since recently, there is a privately owned Merging workstation in our country, allowing for DSD mastering - and hopefully being able to offer native DSD downloads in forseeable future.  It all boils down to money in the end... - so far , DSD64 and DSD128 have been edited as 192/32float and then bounced to CD redbook for release on CD.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #4,303 of 17,336
I don't think any USB tables have ceramic cartridges at least, which actually makes them better than most cheap tables on the market. But What is this thread? Just use EAC for perfect rips to lossless, and never touch a CD again. Ez.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #4,305 of 17,336
See the first post in the thread. A few dead links there now, but it is still great reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back