Testing audiophile claims and myths
Dec 10, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #3,586 of 17,336

I expect some of that is depending on the recording levels and mic placement. No?

Not in this case - this recording is as it is and re-recording it to other medium means simply trying to preserve as much of the original as possible. The difference to any normal symphonic orchestra music is the fact that the cannon shots are a considerable difference in volume/loudness above that of music - much like the real thing.

Do I understand correctly that below is A NEW TELARC RECORDING of 1812 - or is it 1978 master > etc ?

CAUTION for those not already familiar with this recording - please first establish maximum safe playing level - cannon shots begin at approx 12:30 - SERIOUS EQUIPMENT - or even HEARING - DAMAGE MAY RESULT IF YOU FAIL TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #3,587 of 17,336
  If we're talking about the Mercury with Dorati, the CD sound is extraordinary. Much better than the vinyl pressings.

Mercury with Dorati vinyl is nowhere near being equivalent even to the kitty meow compared to a lion pack roar of the Telarc with Fennel recording - regardless on which sound carrier it is.

So, I believe that CD is better. But considering the level of underachievement with this particular LP, it should not be hard at all to improve with CD.

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #3,588 of 17,336
Have you heard the Dorati lately? It has low frequency information that makes my house shake and causes the dogs to hide under the sofa.

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #3,589 of 17,336
  Have you heard the Dorati lately? It has low frequency information that makes my house shake and causes the dogs to hide under the sofa.

That's b/c your dogs are named Mercury and Naxos.

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #3,590 of 17,336

No, I am refering to my ancient vinyl copy. Frankly, having heard Telarc decade(s) before, I was really wondering what all the fuss was about Mercury/Dorati recording.

Still, it should be no match for Telarc in sheer sonics department - bass and loud is not something even I could complain about in CD ( strictly speaking, it was a Soundstream http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundstream
recorder used, which has a bit better sampling frequency, 50 kHz, comparable to later DAT. )

Try what Telarc recording can do - and where the dogs will seek refuge.

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #3,593 of 17,336
  Not in this case - this recording is as it is and re-recording it to other medium means simply trying to preserve as much of the original as possible. The difference to any normal symphonic orchestra music is the fact that the cannon shots are a considerable difference in volume/loudness above that of music - much like the real thing.

Do I understand correctly that below is A NEW TELARC RECORDING of 1812 - or is it 1978 master > etc ?

CAUTION for those not already familiar with this recording - please first establish maximum safe playing level - cannon shots begin at approx 12:30 - SERIOUS EQUIPMENT - or even HEARING - DAMAGE MAY RESULT IF YOU FAIL TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS

We have cannon shots at local parade and man, they're loud. Yes, they set off many car alarms hundreds of feet away.

I heard pseudo-cannons at one "1812 Overture" concert. Not the same. But, still more so than percussion.

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #3,594 of 17,336

We have cannon shots at local parade and man, they're loud. Yes, they set off many car alarms hundreds of feet away.

I heard pseudo-cannons at one "1812 Overture" concert. Not the same. But, still more so than percussion.

We had a real concert of the symphonic orchestra ( outside the building of Slovenian Philharmonics in the middle/front ) and real cannons on top of the Ljubljana Castle hill a couple of years ago:

and NO WAY you can/are allowed to make so much noise in urban enviroment as the historic guns Telarc used; still, it was a memorable experience, despite the acoustics of the square in front of the SF building not being exactly stellar - and the same could be said about the speakers ( open air concerts of acoustics music in any venue lesser than say Greek theatre is not possible without amplification ).

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #3,595 of 17,336
Go get the Mercury. It's one of my reference disks. It has tracks of just the bells and the cannon isolated so you can pop your speakers without Tchaikovsky too. The best thing is that it is a first class conductor AND a first class orchestra AND a first class mix. Telarc's only claim to fame is that the cannon is recorded at a gross volume compared to the orchestra, so it tricks you into playing it too loud. The Dorati (both of them) hits every mark perfectly.

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #3,596 of 17,336

I gather from the description that it is supposed to be a new recording. The cannons are still heavily clipped and at least to me they sound wrong and should be recorded at a lower level. As you probably can't cut clipping like that directly to vinyl i'm pretty sure it would sound slightly better and less loud on a vinyl.

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #3,597 of 17,336
  Go get the Mercury. It's one of my reference disks. It has tracks of just the bells and the cannon isolated so you can pop your speakers without Tchaikovsky too. The best thing is that it is a first class conductor AND a first class orchestra AND a first class mix. Telarc's only claim to fame is that the cannon is recorded at a gross volume compared to the orchestra, so it tricks you into playing it too loud. The Dorati (both of them) hits every mark perfectly.

I agree Dorati is a first class conductor ( I like his Copland on Decca ), that the orchestra is first class, BUT the vinyl in my possession
http://www.discogs.com/Tchaikovsky-Beethoven-Minneapolis-Symphony-Orchestra-London-Symphony-Orchestra-Antal-Dorati-Overture/release/2273494
does everything NOT to inspire confidence...

Wait - is there another Dorati on Mercury ?

On musical level, I like Karajan/Don Kosak choir
 http://www.discogs.com/Peter-Tchaikovsky-Don-Cossack-Choir-Serge-Jaroff-Berlin-Philharmonic-Orchestra-Herbert-von-Karajan-O/master/107645
- but I have heard it in anything like recent memory on CD only. Recording itself is nothing to write home about - but I like the choir.

As for "just the (church) bells" - we DO have in our country the tradition of pritrkavanje http://sl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pritrkovanje ( use online translators ) - and I have had enough of it to last a lifetime already :

There is even a LP with sound samples from around the country from approx > 25 years ago ( still in Yugoslavia ) :

And although binaural recorded to DSD sounds thrillingly terrific, I decided there IS such a thing as - too much realism.

Still, there are "musicians" with quite interesting and innovative approach to it, so I might reconsider ...

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #3,598 of 17,336
There are two Doratis... mono and stereo. Both excellent. The CD has spectacularly realistic sound. Vinyl can never cope with something like this. Mercury recorded pretty much direct to tape with no compression or limiting, so the dynamics exceed what vinyl is capable of.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #3,599 of 17,336

isn't that just beating around the bush?

Decidedly not. He demonstrated a neurophysiological correlate to an auditory + ultrasonic stimulus (FRS). He showed changes in cerebral blood flow in the thalamus, the primary relay point for all sensory inputs that end up in the cortex. This is very strong evidence that there is some alteration in the patterns being presented to higher cortical centers. Go back and take a look at Figure 5b of his original paper. The bars labelled HCS and FRS should be almost identical. They differ with a p value <0.0001. You can't dismiss this by waving your hands.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #3,600 of 17,336
It doesn't make music sound any better though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back