Testing audiophile claims and myths
Nov 6, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #10,321 of 17,336
HD Tracks downloads often have no super audible content except for spikes of complete noise. I posted numerous examples of that a few months back. You might want to skip pages 2 through 7 in that thread though. It gets really good again at pages 8 and 9.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/what-kind-of-ultrasonic-frequencies-are-in-hd-tracks.885484/

There's absolutely no guarantee that HD Tracks downloads are any better than the commercial CD, and in many cases, it's clearly worse.

Good final point there. Some of the HD Tracks downloads and even SACDs are subject to the over-compression and loudness processing(compared to their Redbook predecessors) that you and others here seem inclined to dismiss as 'old news' or nonexistent altogether.

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #10,322 of 17,336
It isn't compression that's the problem Sonic. Click through the link and look at the info there and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #10,323 of 17,336
HD Tracks downloads often have no super audible content except for spikes of complete noise. I posted numerous examples of that a few months back. You might want to skip pages 2 through 7 in that thread though. It gets really good again at pages 8 and 9.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/what-kind-of-ultrasonic-frequencies-are-in-hd-tracks.885484/

There's absolutely no guarantee that HD Tracks downloads are any better than the commercial CD, and in many cases, it's clearly worse.
I still don't get this preoccupation with super audible content as if it is a good thing. It is not music, we can't hear it and it can only create distortions in the playback chain.

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #10,324 of 17,336
Here's one of Pono's HiRez in flac. I've seen 320 with more information.
orig.jpg

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #10,325 of 17,336
Quite probably...

I don't specifically like that version because it's 24/192k; as far as I know it's also a complete re-master.
However, I find that version to sound especially good, and the plucked guitar strings and cymbals to sound distinctly "natural" to me.
That makes it an excellent sample piece for evaluating high frequency and clarity phase response.
(I also happen to actually like the music.)

There is also good logic for purchasing the 24/192k version - other than the actual sample rate per-se.
As far as I know, that particular version was remastered with the intent of its becoming a 192k release (so it was mastered at 192k).
That being the case, the 192k version is the master, and the versions at lower sample rates, like 96k and 44.1k, will have been down-sampled from that one.
Therefore the versions at lower sample rates are "one generation further away from the master".
Now, avoiding the argument about the audibility of various re-sampling algorithms, it seems easiest to avoid any possibility of it's being audible by NOT re-sampling unnecessarily.
(The cost of the extra space required by a 192k file is negligible, every DAC I own can play 192k files, and the 192k version is only a few dollars more than the 44.1k version.)
Therefore, since that version was mastered at 192k, that seems like the best version to purchase.

More likely to hear mastering differences than differences between DACs even at that resolution.

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #10,326 of 17,336
I still don't get this preoccupation with super audible content as if it is a good thing. It is not music, we can't hear it and it can only create distortions in the playback chain.

It gives people with OCD an unattainable goal to quest after. Too much is never enough.

The people who recommend high data rate audio can’t even tell the difference between an iTunes file and a lossless file in a blind test.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #10,327 of 17,336
Quite probably...

I don't specifically like that version because it's 24/192k; as far as I know it's also a complete re-master.
However, I find that version to sound especially good, and the plucked guitar strings and cymbals to sound distinctly "natural" to me.
That makes it an excellent sample piece for evaluating high frequency and clarity phase response.
(I also happen to actually like the music.)

There is also good logic for purchasing the 24/192k version - other than the actual sample rate per-se.
As far as I know, that particular version was remastered with the intent of its becoming a 192k release (so it was mastered at 192k).
That being the case, the 192k version is the master, and the versions at lower sample rates, like 96k and 44.1k, will have been down-sampled from that one.
Therefore the versions at lower sample rates are "one generation further away from the master".
Now, avoiding the argument about the audibility of various re-sampling algorithms, it seems easiest to avoid any possibility of it's being audible by NOT re-sampling unnecessarily.
(The cost of the extra space required by a 192k file is negligible, every DAC I own can play 192k files, and the 192k version is only a few dollars more than the 44.1k version.)
Therefore, since that version was mastered at 192k, that seems like the best version to purchase.

It's your money! But also remember that the remastering itself is far more audible than any difference between 44.1 Redbook and 192 High-res.

Nov 7, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #10,328 of 17,336
[1] However, I find that version to sound especially good, and the plucked guitar strings and cymbals to sound distinctly "natural" to me.
[2] That makes it an excellent sample piece for evaluating high frequency and clarity phase response.
[3] As far as I know, that particular version was remastered with the intent of its becoming a 192k release (so it was mastered at 192k).That being the case, the 192k version is the master, and the versions at lower sample rates, like 96k and 44.1k, will have been down-sampled from that one. Therefore the versions at lower sample rates are "one generation further away from the master".

1. That's odd, the plucked guitar and cymbals sound distinctly unnatural to me, they sound distinctly produced. I'm not saying the song is poorly produced, far from it, but it is produced. It's also entirely possible that the "produced" sound was achieved mainly with mic choices/positioning but I'm pretty certain there's at least some EQ in there and there would definitely have been compression/limiting applied. Certainly though, there are many recordings where the guitars and/or cymbals sound less "natural".

2. At that time (the mid '70's), some studio mics topped out at about 20kHz but most topped out somewhat or significantly lower. Plus we're talking about more than one generation of analogue tape and routing through various other analogue equipment which also added HF noise and reduced HF linearity. For it's time, it had good HF response but not "excellent" compared with what could be done later.

3. It is NOT the case that it was mastered at 192/24, because it has never been possible (or desirable) to master at 192/24! Most likely it was mastered at 192/64 or possibly 192/32 and also, it's likely that it has been resampled several times, either via trips in/out of the ADC/DACs, by plugins which resample internally or both. Whatever the case, the distribution master will have been re-quantised, either to 24/192 or some other depth/rate. Therefore, the versions at the lower depth/rates are NOT "one generation further away from the master", they are exactly the same number of generations away from the master as the 192/24 version (IE. One generation away)!

G

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #10,329 of 17,336
I can't disagree with you there.....

I guess "natural" is a bad choice of verbiage..... the cymbals do sound a bit smoother than in real life..... but I guess they sound "appropriate" to the music to me.... to me they seem to sound "like they should sound".
I certainly do find the sound of that album to be "somewhat distinctive".
And, to me, on some other versions of that album, the guitars and cymbals sound somewhat indistinct to me (for example, the wire brush sounds more like the hiss of a steam valve than wires hitting metal).
I also find that distinction to be quite obvious on some equipment - but to be almost entirely inaudible on other equipment.

Explosions in movies rarely look like a real explosion. most of which just look like a flash of bright light if you film them, yet we still have a sense of "what a movie explosion should look like", and some "seem to look better than others".
(And, even among the CGI explosions we often see, on some the flames and bluster seem much more "realistic" than on others.)
To be quite honest, whenever I've actually listened to real live cymbals, I've found them to sound a bit annoying.... but I find these "pleasant".

However, even though I've never taken the time to analyze that recording, I find that the guitars and cymbals have a "clear detailed sound" - which seems to NOT be properly reproduced on some equipment.
Perhaps it's just the way they were EQed... but there is a distinct sense of shimmer and inner detail which, to me, seems intentional... and, on some equipment, seems to be :blurred over" or lacking.
(When I see two versions of a photo, one sharp and one blurry, and the details in the sharp version seem natural, I assume that the sharp version is "the better version", even though it's possible that the blur was deliberately added for some reason.)

Regardless of how you define the terms - by their product listings and pricing - the 24/192k version is "the best version HDTracks sells" - it is "the premium version of the product".
Therefore, however many times individual tracks have been resampled, or what sample rate or bit depth the most final version of the mix was produced at, I have little doubt that the 24/192k version got the most attention.
So, if there is a difference, I would expect it to be the one that "they made sure to get right" - by however they define that statement.

I see this simply as an extension of how the markets for most equipment and products operate - from audiophile electronic gear, to speakers, to cars, to dishwasher detergent.
If a product is available in several versions, the "premium" version will usually have more features, and better performance, than the "low cost" version.
This may happen because there is a cost difference involved in including the extra features or better performance.
But, equally often, it happens because details, or minor performance niceties, are DELIBERATELY OMITTED from the "low end product".. to provide the customer incentive to upgrade to the more expensive version.
In this case, I would expect them to expend more effort in making sure the highest resolution, and most expensive, version sounds really good.
And, if there really is no audible difference, it wouldn't surprise me if they were to deliberately "down-grade" the lower cost versions to sound slightly inferior.
For example, I might expect them to deliberately roll off the high end on the "CD quality version" to meet people's expectations that "the high-res version will have a better high end".

I am quite convinced that one of the major reasons the SACD layer on hybrid SACDs often sounds quite different is that, in some instances, someone told the mix engineer:
"The SACD layer is the audiophile version. Make sure it sounds smoother, and clearer, and more like what audiophiles expect, than the regular version."

My point is that there are many reasons why a difference might exist... many of which are out of our control as a consumer.
If it turns out that the 24/192k version sounds better because they deliberately added more compression to the CD version, it makes no difference to me whether they did it to make the CD version "less desirable",
or whether they really believe that "the low end market prefers more compression".
Either way I'd rather have the better one.
(And, once I've got it, the space I'd save by converting it to 16/44.1k myself is so negligible that I wouldn't bother.)

With that album, the best I hope for is a compromise between, "the best quality possible considering the analog masters available" and "some alterations to the sound of the analog master to make the result more like what the producers and musicians intended".
And, yes, I realize that there is going to be some "artistry" and some "opinion" involved in that goal.
However, assuming I trust the folks who did the remaster to have done a good job, I would prefer to have the most accurate rendition of THEIR final product possible.

And, yes, I'd probably be willing to pay an extra $10 to get the 32 bit or 64 bit file off the console.... because it would be one step closer to the original....
(Which is find to philosophically be an improvement... with no need to agonize about whether it's audible or not.)
I have no trouble playing those sorts of files... so why not?

Just to be perfectly clear.....
I have found many of the remasters sold by HDTracks to sound really good - and quite different than the originals.
To me this justifies purchasing them.
While I most certainly find the question of whether they sound better because they're high-res files to be of academic interest...
It makes no difference in my purchasing decision.

1. That's odd, the plucked guitar and cymbals sound distinctly unnatural to me, they sound distinctly produced. I'm not saying the song is poorly produced, far from it, but it is produced. It's also entirely possible that the "produced" sound was achieved mainly with mic choices/positioning but I'm pretty certain there's at least some EQ in there and there would definitely have been compression/limiting applied. Certainly though, there are many recordings where the guitars and/or cymbals sound less "natural".

2. At that time (the mid '70's), some studio mics topped out at about 20kHz but most topped out somewhat or significantly lower. Plus we're talking about more than one generation of analogue tape and routing through various other analogue equipment which also added HF noise and reduced HF linearity. For it's time, it had good HF response but not "excellent" compared with what could be done later.

3. It is NOT the case that it was mastered at 192/24, because it has never been possible (or desirable) to master at 192/24! Most likely it was mastered at 192/64 or possibly 192/32 and also, it's likely that it has been resampled several times, either via trips in/out of the ADC/DACs, by plugins which resample internally or both. Whatever the case, the distribution master will have been re-quantised, either to 24/192 or some other depth/rate. Therefore, the versions at the lower depth/rates are NOT "one generation further away from the master", they are exactly the same number of generations away from the master as the 192/24 version (IE. One generation away)!

G

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #10,330 of 17,336
I guess "natural" is a bad choice of verbiage..... the cymbals do sound a bit smoother than in real life..... but I guess they sound "appropriate" to the music to me.... to me they seem to sound "like they should sound".

Agreed. That's the hallmark of a good production and mastering. It's got nothing to do with how natural it is and everything to do with how "right" or "appropriate" in the context of the entire piece.

Regardless of how you define the terms - by their product listings and pricing - the 24/192k version is "the best version HDTracks sells" - it is "the premium version of the product".
Therefore, however many times individual tracks have been resampled, or what sample rate or bit depth the most final version of the mix was produced at, I have little doubt that the 24/192k version got the most attention.
So, if there is a difference, I would expect it to be the one that "they made sure to get right" - by however they define that statement.

No, that approach is impractical. You make one (virtual) master with all the effort to make sure it's as right as possible. You then just bounce that master down to whatever depths/rates you want, 192/24, 96/24, 16/44 and whatever. The amount of work is identical, the different versions sound identical. If, for some reason, you have to "crappify" say the 16/44 version, then that's extra work/effort to create that 16/44 version (to crappify it). In other words, the actual situation is the exact opposite of what you appear to believe. I'm well aware that the highest bitrate version is marketed as the "premium version" with a significantly higher price but it's not the "best version" and it's NOT the version which has had the most effort/time put in, it's a rip-off!!

G

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #10,331 of 17,336
@KeithEmo this is one time where I'll have to disagree. My personal view is that 24 bit is more than enough for playback, I don't think it's possible to achieve playback on real-world equipment with a noise floor below an effective 24 bits, and gear I can afford is going to be more like 20. IMO 32 / 64 bits are only important or desirable when you're actually modifying the audio. 90+ MB for each song adds up pretty quick when you're using SSDs :wink:

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #10,332 of 17,336
Interesting......

I've always found the HDTracks 24/192k version of that album to be excellent for listening for minor differences between DACs and filter choices.
(Listen for slight differences in the sound of the plucked guitars and cymbals.)

The ABX tests I did were iTunes 256k vs lossless. I should have mentioned that in the original post. I doubt I could tell the difference between 16/44.1 and 24/192k. Maybe when my ears were 20 but at 55 I am limited to about 40 - 13,500 hz and I perceived no artifacts at iTunes 256k. I have perused HD Tracks as well as eClassical for 16/44.1 lossless Classical music files but found them expensive compared to just getting used CDs on Amazon.

I am in the process of re-ripping my CDs in lossless format, not because of any belief that I can hear a difference but several have failed, almost all due to my carelessness over the years. Fortunately with Cuetools, I was able to rescue most of them and those that I can't I still have my original 320k MP3 rips made about 15-20 years ago.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #10,333 of 17,336
We seem to be largely in agreement about what happens - but we seem to have different expectations about the results.

First off, if you check out actual comparisons of the quality of sample rate conversion provided by a variety of commercial products, you will find they vary widely.
Without getting into a lengthy discussion about which flaws are likely to be audible - in terms of measurements some clearly perform far better than others (some perform quite poorly).
Many also offer a variety of filter options - which again leaves the person performing the conversion in a position to alter the results.
(Whether you or I agree or not, some engineers will insist that a brick wall filter, or a minimum phase filter, or a slow roll-off filter, "sounds best" - and will use their favorite.)

If you "start with the virtual master and bounce the other versions down from there" you are introducing the POSSIBILITY that they will be degraded along the way.
(You seem to agree that the highest-resolution copy available is that "virtual master". I'd rather just have a bit-perfect copy of that than risk some loss of quality by altering it.)

And, yes, I expect someone to listen to that highest-resolution version and possibly make adjustments... while I expect the "44k version" to be "whatever came out of the converter".

Beyond that, I do not know who does or does not actually bother to add extra compression or other types of "crappification" to the different versions.
I should also point out that not everyone views it that way; some engineers see added compression as "making it play louder and more clearly on a car radio or a cheap iPod".

You'll notice that there is often an audible difference between the Red Book CD layer and the SACD layer on hybrid SACDs.
Since the performance difference between DSD and PCM is negligible - we MUST conclude that a deliberate choice was made to make them sound different.
(They were deliberately mastered differently to appeal to different market audiences.)

We seem to agree that the "virtual master" is going to be the highest-resolution copy.
Therefore, logically, and version produced from that version by any sort of conversion could AT BEST be equal, but not necessarily.
It simply seems easier to me to "take home a direct un-converted copy of the virtual master" than to trust a modified copy of it that offers me no potential benefit.

Agreed. That's the hallmark of a good production and mastering. It's got nothing to do with how natural it is and everything to do with how "right" or "appropriate" in the context of the entire piece.

No, that approach is impractical. You make one (virtual) master with all the effort to make sure it's as right as possible. You then just bounce that master down whatever whatever depths/rates you want, 192/24, 94/24, 16/44 and whatever. The work amount is identical, the different versions sound identical. If, for some reason you have to "crappify" say the 16/44 version, then that's extra work/effort to create that 16/44 version (to crappify it). In other words, the actual situation is the exact opposite of what you appear to believe. I'm well aware that the highest bitrate version is marketed as the "premium version" with a significantly higher price but it's not the "best version" and it's NOT the version which has had the most effort/time put in, it's a rip-off!!

G

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #10,334 of 17,336
I agree entirely....

However, most mastering applications operate at 32 bits or 64 bits, mostly because the extra overhead allows them to avoid potential rounding and math errors after multiple passes through various level adjustments and more complex processing. Then, once production is "done", the files are put through a final step of reducing the bit depth and dithering the noise floor. At this point you have a "production copy" that may be audibly equal to the original - but is technically degraded from it. In my opinion, the only practical reason for home equipment to support 32 bit audio is that this will allow it to play the files output by the mastering application directly, and so save the extra step of converting them to 24 bit, or some other format.

I would also agree that there are often practical considerations. For example, even though I don't find the size of high-resolution files to be an imposition, I generally don't buy high-res remasters of music that I'm not especially fond of, or that I don't believe will benefit significantly from the best quality possible.

When I take "snapshots" with my camera, I often use the JPG format, which is both fast and requires very little storage space. However, when I take IMPORTANT pictures, or ones I may consider editing later, I use RAW or TIFF format. The JPG format is the equivalent of MP3. It technically introduces significant artifacts, most of which are not at all visible under most circumstances. However, those flaws can become apparent under some circumstances, which is why most professionals agree that "JPG is a fine format for delivering moderate quality content to end users but not at all appropriate for archival, mastering, or editing use".

I apply the same standard to my music collection. For most music I find the quality of a standard CD to be just fine. However, for albums that I consider especially important, I want the best quality possible, and am unwilling to take any chance of compromising it. For those albums, I treat my copy as I would an "archival master", and my priority is to have "the best quality copy possible". (I may even down-sample a copy to put on my laptop. But, as with other masters, I retain an unaltered copy for future use.)

@KeithEmo this is one time where I'll have to disagree. My personal view is that 24 bit is more than enough for playback, I don't think it's possible to achieve playback on real-world equipment with a noise floor below an effective 24 bits, and gear I can afford is going to be more like 20. IMO 32 / 64 bits are only important or desirable when you're actually modifying the audio. 90+ MB for each song adds up pretty quick when you're using SSDs :wink:

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #10,335 of 17,336
[1] First off, if you check out actual comparisons of the quality of sample rate conversion provided by a variety of commercial products, you will find they vary widely.
Without getting into a lengthy discussion about which flaws are likely to be audible - in terms of measurements some clearly perform far better than others (some perform quite poorly).
[2] If you "start with the virtual master and bounce the other versions down from there" you are introducing the POSSIBILITY that they will be degraded along the way.
(You seem to agree that the highest-resolution copy available is that "virtual master". I'd rather just have a bit-perfect copy of that than risk some loss of quality by altering it.)
[3] Beyond that, I do not know who does or does not actually bother to add extra compression or other types of "crappification" to the different versions.
I should also point out that not everyone views it that way; some engineers see added compression as "making it play louder and more clearly on a car radio or a cheap iPod".

1. Define "vary widely". Digital audio gear varies "very widely" in terms of their jitter measurements but even in the worst cases, it's still well below audibility!

2. Firstly, you cannot have a bit-perfect copy of the virtual master, even the mastering engineer can't! There is no format which supports writing a 64bit audio file. So, all versions, even the highest depth/rate version (say 192/24), will have to go through a re-quantisation process. And yes, the process will degrade the virtual master but way below even our ability to reproduce, let alone hear. My DAC is a high quality pro DAC, it can output about 19bits, by the time the audio has been amp'ed and comes out of my speakers, it's down to about 17bits. What possible benefit would there be in having another 47bits below that? We're in silly, la-la land!

3. Agreed but then you could achieve that, completely transparently, by having two different 16/44 versions.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back