Testing audiophile claims and myths
Jun 9, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #8,671 of 17,336
I was 12. My step-father had a stereo with two Advent speakers and a pretty nice turntable and a pioneer receiver in our apartment. The receiver had bass and treble controls and loudness and mono buttons. I absolutely loved that stereo. It had a quite usable FM tuner also and back then listening to the radio was a much bigger deal. No presets of course. I had a single-unit turntable / speaker in my bedroom with a 100 lb tracking force and ruined all of our LPs with it. I had a lot of 45 rpm singles of my own. They were a dollar. . . Pretty expensive in today’s terms if you adjust for inflation. I loved music beyond words. We also had two cats. I was taking piano lessons but didn’t practice enough so sometimes I would hide when it was time for my lesson.

1974 was about the time I bought my first two LP records, Beatles for Sale and David Essex All the Fun of the Fair (yes i know...). It was the year when my older brother bought his first stereo, a large Kriesler 3 in 1 quadraphonic set up which he used a lot to play the SQ Dark Side of the Moon. Up to that point I only listened to AM radio and microphone recordings from it.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #8,672 of 17,336
Who wants to retire?
Isn't that a dumb question? Just because you love your multi-mic'ing work doesn't mean everyone enjoys their work. So, to answer your silly question: Everybody who doesn't enjoy their work wants to retire.

Jun 9, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #8,673 of 17,336
I enjoy my work and I still want to retire. I just should wait a few years so I get more out of it. :)

Isn't that a dumb question? Just because you love your multi-mic'ing work doesn't mean everyone enjoys their work. So, to answer your silly question: Everybody who doesn't enjoy their work wants to retire.

Jun 9, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #8,674 of 17,336
I made a deal with myself early on. I won't work in a career that I don't love and don't want to do for the rest of my life. I'll be doing what I've done for the past 35 years for as long as I can.

Jun 9, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #8,675 of 17,336
I made a deal with myself early on. I won't work in a career that I don't love and don't want to do for the rest of my life. I'll be doing what I've done for the past 35 years for as long as I can.
That is a great policy my friend.....having a purpose is a recipe for a longer and happier life.(hope i'm not wrong about this....could be really disappointing lol)

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #8,676 of 17,336

Making deals with yourself is easy. Making deals with other people is trickier.

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #8,677 of 17,336
No complaints about dealing with other people yet. I made a deal with myself not to lie down with dogs too.

Jun 10, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #8,678 of 17,336
You have SO little idea of what my work even is, its actually comic. But I'll be doing it until I'm dead, and probably a few weeks after that.

I've known many people who have retired. They were sick within 6 months and died shortly after that. I know very few that lived any amount of time past retirement.

So, yeah...dumb question? I don't think so.

Jun 10, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #8,679 of 17,336
I've seen several people die right after they retire, including a close relative. It does make you step back and take stock of your own choices in a very serious way. You get one chance here, and there are no take twos.

You have SO little idea of what my work even is, its actually comic. But I'll be doing it until I'm dead, and probably a few weeks after that.

I've known many people who have retired. They were sick within 6 months and died shortly after that. I know very few that lived any amount of time past retirement.

Jun 10, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #8,680 of 17,336
1. You have SO little idea of what my work even is, its actually comic. But I'll be doing it until I'm dead, and probably a few weeks after that.

2. I've known many people who have retired. They were sick within 6 months and died shortly after that. I know very few that lived any amount of time past retirement.

1. Why should I have a idea of what your work is? You keep telling how wonderful multi-mic'ing is so I used logic to deducted your work has to do with it at least. What you do at work wan't the point in my posti. The post was that some people enjoy their job, and other people do not.

2. Sorry to hear about people dying around you when retired. I guess it's how you take the change in life and how you take care of yourself when retired.

Jun 10, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #8,681 of 17,336
You keep telling how wonderful multi-mic'ing is so I used logic to deducted your work has to do with it at least.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a professional sound engineer who doesn't see the value in multi miking. It's how music is generally recorded for commercial release.

Jun 10, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #8,682 of 17,336
1. Why should I have a idea of what your work is? You keep telling how wonderful multi-mic'ing is so I used logic to deducted your work has to do with it at least. What you do at work wan't the point in my post.
Then why mention it at all? just needed to take a jab?
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a professional sound engineer who doesn't see the value in multi miking. It's how music is generally recorded for commercial release.
But we're all evil! And our work is evil! That makes most of the world of recorded sound EVIL!!!!

I don't embrace anything that's evil, but I think I might be OK with that one.

Jun 10, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #8,683 of 17,336
devil.png

Jun 10, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #8,684 of 17,336

I have difficulties to evaluate it myself, because I don't have clear picture of how all those mics are mixed together. How do you panorate a mono track from one mic? I have also hard time believing a typical Calvin Harris track is multi-mic'ed. Only vocals and some additional guitar riffs etc. are actually recorded so it's not as if you have 3 dozen mics all over the place.

Jun 10, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #8,685 of 17,336

Doesn't using two, even three, mics on a single source create sound that might be too clinical? Afterall, my ears aren't less than three inches from each vocalist or instrument in a specific song. I actually like fewer mics, some distance, and a little of the actual room mixed in!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back