Testing audiophile claims and myths
May 11, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #5,626 of 17,589
Quick question:  If procedure [COLOR=0000FF]●1●[/COLOR] works for different headphones, why can't you use procedure [COLOR=0000FF]●1●[/COLOR] for matching the same headphone with different amps?

I would think it would be more reliable for volume matching amps to the same set of headphones over using it to volume match different headphones.

May 11, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #5,627 of 17,589
Would it be better to use a 1kHz test tone or pink or white noise in SPL matching? My intuition tells me pink is the best bet.

May 11, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #5,629 of 17,589
  Would it be better to use a 1kHz test tone or pink or white noise in SPL matching? My intuition tells me pink is the best bet.

SPL matching is done great with 1khz tone and pink and white noise. 

A SPL meter should measure it no matter what.

Considering that two headphones do not have the same frequency response, doing either will proove a erorr margin, so whatever you pick, it will still be with a margin of erorr.

May 11, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #5,630 of 17,589
For headphones, definitely pink or white noise. For amps, it shouldn't matter, should it?

If you're matching by output voltage you'll need to use a 50 or 60hz sine wave since only fancy and expensive multimeters will give a reliable AC RMS reading with anything else.

May 11, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #5,631 of 17,589

If you're matching by output voltage you'll need to use a 50 or 60hz sine wave since only fancy and expensive multimeters will give a reliable AC RMS reading with anything else.

One only need it to be repeatable at the same frequency.

May 11, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #5,632 of 17,589
  One only need it to be repeatable at the same frequency.

Yeah, that's true.  Other pure tones may work too, depending on meter.

I don't think pink noise would be very repeatable though...

May 11, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #5,635 of 17,589
Close enough? This is audio we're talking about here. No such thing as close enough.
tongue.gif

se

Like those guys that can hear 0.1 dB difference?

May 11, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #5,636 of 17,589
matching my IEMs is something I just gave up upon trying. often if the signature is relatively close it works ok-ish with a few different test tones or some noise. like matching the different cheap etymotics, they all have big sensi/impedance differences but the FR is close. for them it works nicely. 
but trying to match my IE80 to an etymotic is more of a comedy than it is a test. I could match one frequency and still get more than 15db difference at another one, there is no point in ABing them in the first place.
now objectively, the easy solution is to accept that the IE80 has no relation to anything remotely neutral and balanced(a compensation curve that would make them balanced doesn't exist just yet ^_^), and just dismiss it as crap even though they can be a lot of fun subjectively. but going at it that way, we wouldn't be left with many headphones to test ^_^.

May 11, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #5,637 of 17,589

That makes sense. I was thinking use SPL meter to measure :)

May 11, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #5,640 of 17,589
How would I go about connecting a laptop to an outboard DAC that only takes Coaxial, XLR and optical without any loss in fidelity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back