Testing audiophile claims and myths
May 9, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #5,507 of 17,589
We gotcher Laser Disc Matt for ya right heah, pal! *grabs crotch*

se

Don't squeeze too tight or else you'll be listening to Zeppelin's the Lemon Song and it'll hurt some. 
eek.gif

May 9, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #5,508 of 17,589
By the way, with regard to Analogsurviver, and for those who aren't reading the Cage Match thread, I'd like to repeat an excerpt from a post I made over there.

I'd never really read any of his posts very thoroughly before, and just jumped on the bandwagon dismissing him as a troll.

But a recent event caused me to reconsider. It was when he was arguing cable capacitance vis a vis electrostatic headphones. After reconsidering, I concluded he was making some very good points.

So I sent him a PM and asked him if he would be up for a good old fashioned telephone conversation so I could get to know him a little better than would be possible from just posts in a forum.

He was and we had a very nice talk yesterday, which lasted for an hour or so before I had to break to take another call.

While I can't say I would agree with him on everything, I found him to be a genuinely nice guy who is actually quite knowledgeable, and I will no longer dismiss him as a troll. Instead, I will just exercise more patience with him, and look forward to our next telephone chat.

se

May 9, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #5,510 of 17,589
@Steve Eddy
 Does that mean he's awfully persistent and needs to learn a thing or two?

Well, first you have to stop and think and consider who is the one who needs to learn instead of automatically assuming it's Analogsurviver. I've caught myself doing that twice with him this past week.

Ultimately what I'm saying is that he's a nice and knowledgeable guy, and not at all what I would consider to be a troll. And I would like to apologize to him publicly for my making that assumption for as long as I did. I consider him a friend now.

That doesn't mean that I am going to agree with everything he says. If he says something I disagree with, I'll take him to task the same as anyone else (and not even my closest and dearest friends get to escape that). But he does not deserve to be considered or called a troll.

se

May 9, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #5,511 of 17,589
Well, first you have to stop and think and consider who is the one who needs to learn instead of automatically assuming it's Analogsurviver. I've caught myself doing that twice with him this past week.

Ultimately what I'm saying is that he's a nice and knowledgeable guy, and not at all what I would consider to be a troll. And I would like to apologize to him publicly for my making that assumption for as long as I did. I consider him a friend now.

That doesn't mean that I am going to agree with everything he says. If he says something I disagree with, I'll take him to task the same as anyone else (and not even my closest and dearest friends get to escape that). But he does not deserve to be considered or called a troll.

se

OK, not a troll, but still at times annoying. Everyone makes mistakes.

May 9, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #5,512 of 17,589
I believe it was castleofargh that brought up the notion that Analogsurviver was generally on point with many of these discussions, provided that one believes that ultrasonics are crucial to achieving the highest possible audio quality.  Generally this means that ultrasonics must be captured at the recording and maintained throughout the mastering process.  Then, of course, it would take specific audio equipment to play back these recordings so that the ultrasonics could be experienced somehow.  Whatever benefits might be gained simply can't be applied to millions of songs that have already been recorded, of which many of these already sound excellent without ultrasonics.  I'm no scientist, and I don't even play one on TV (or forums), but the idea seems rather absurd to me. 

May 9, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #5,513 of 17,589
OK, not a troll, but still at times annoying. Everyone makes mistakes.

What makes him annoying necessarily? Sure, he talks about things I'm not necessarily interested in, but it's easy enough to just skip over those posts. And I think everyone pouncing on him and calling him a troll might have at least a little to do with his behavior here. I'm not at my best either when I'm always put on the defensive side.

se

May 9, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #5,514 of 17,589
What makes him annoying necessarily? Sure, he talks about things I'm not necessarily interested in, but it's easy enough to just skip over those posts. And I think everyone pouncing on him and calling him a troll might have at least a little to do with his behavior here. I'm not at my best either when I'm always put on the defensive side.

se

But you also don't almost get thread's locked for going on about CD Mats. He certainly is a nice guy, and is in the trenches making recordings in concert halls which is more than I can say for myself or many, but he also is a bit… innocent, which means he doesn't see the bedlam he can flare up around here.

May 9, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #5,515 of 17,589
I believe it was castleofargh that brought up the notion that Analogsurviver was generally on point with many of these discussions, provided that one believes that ultrasonics are crucial to achieving the highest possible audio quality.  Generally this means that ultrasonics must be captured at the recording and maintained throughout the mastering process.  Then, of course, it would take specific audio equipment to play back these recordings so that the ultrasonics could be experienced somehow.  Whatever benefits might be gained simply can't be applied to millions of songs that have already been recorded, of which many of these already sound excellent without ultrasonics.  I'm no scientist, and I don't even play one on TV (or forums), but the idea seems rather absurd to me. 

Well, I don't think what was done in the past should keep us from moving forward.

And while I don't think it will turn out that ultrasonics are crucial, at least he's not pulling the idea out of thin air. His fundamental thinking is sound (no pun intended). As I said, he's actually quite knowledgeable, but I think he can get a bit ahead of himself at times. And I think if we just treat him with a little more respect and patience, we can all learn something at the end of the day. I'm glad he accepted my reaching out to him in order to get to know him better.

se

May 9, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #5,516 of 17,589
But you also don't almost get thread's locked for going on about CD Mats. He certainly is a nice guy, and is in the trenches making recordings in concert halls which is more than I can say for myself or many, but he also is a bit… innocent, which means he doesn't see the bedlam he can flare up around here.

What is the source of the bedlam? Certainly not Analogsurviver. So I don't know why you talk of the bedlam that he can flare up.

se

May 9, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #5,517 of 17,589
What is the source of the bedlam? Certainly not Analogsurviver. So I don't know why you talk of the bedlam that he can flare up.

se

The guy who kept bringing up the benefits of a CD Mat? Why would he be implicit in any of the discussion over it? Like I said, I don't think he means to troll in the classic sense, but I can see why people get that impression.

May 9, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #5,519 of 17,589
I would argue that the source of the bedlam was those people who were responding to him.

se

Once the fire is started, it's certainly up to those standing around it not to get burned or to fan it further. But that doesn't free the fire-starter from any and all blame.

May 9, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #5,520 of 17,589
Once the fire is started, it's certainly up to those standing around it not to get burned or to fan it further. But that doesn't free the fire-starter from any and all blame.

I would argue that Analogsurviver is not the fire-starter either.

Is the woman who wears a short skirt and low cut blouse the "fire-starter" if she is raped? That's not an argument I would make. Would you? Yet that's essentially the argument you are making here with regard to Analogsurviver.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back