Testing audiophile claims and myths
May 2, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #5,086 of 17,588

Good performance indeed... and very very good recording! ...but you think the audio has poor quality? why? AAC 254Kbps.

Do you think it would be much different in DSD?

A fitting comment on the difference between the DSD128 master and YT version :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKm5xQyD2vE&list=PLZs0gQed9tMRIHjxkkBZ3qRVLb-8eH6iJ

It happens it is one of my technically best recordings - and the only one for which I am authorized to use selected excerpts - in native DSD128. For a year or so by now.

This is due to the fact that string playing was unfortunately not at the level which could allow for issuing the live recording on the CD . It happened so that one or two rehearsals for the strings fell trough because of the force majeure - it is inappropriate for me to go into more detail ( multiple conflict of interests of all the parties involved). I have recorded those strings since at least twice and there were no such hiccups as unfortunately present on this recording. Which will because of it all never go beyond what is available on YT - which is a pity, as singing of the Čarnice choir (and both soloists) really was fantastic - and unfortunately, unknown at the time, the swansong of this generation of singers. Today they continue under the same name with different conductor, only 3 members of the generation seen in this video remaining. Still in forming stage(s) each choir has to go trough.

I will use this recording, Mythbuster style, to dispell quite a few statements so persevering in pages of this thread. Taking no prisoners in the process.  What goes around, comes around ;  but I will do it by the book. 

In 12 or so hours, I will be recording duo organ and flute in one of the most  charming and exclusive concert stages with the breathtaking acoustics - a privately owned chapel some 10 miles away from my home. Here a vid (sound from a camera, I recorded the live concert the day before ): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2irW3kSDaVo

And here my live recording , YT style (derived from CD redbook, not directly from the DSD ):  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RRF-aLnAnI

It is 02:30 AM here; over and out till futher notice.

...as I hear it the room has some strange resonances and despite the somewhat poor quality of the camera recording, I prefer it by far (if you want to listen to the music).
I found the second to be very distracting, anyway either recordings could do a lot better with EQ

For me a good recording let's you/makes you, focus in the music and/or instruments the artist wants to... not the equipment used to record or the room... or the audience... that is why there are good producers, bad producers or no producers at all... that is why when you reach a professional level, the medium/equipment used (they're all good) doesn't matter much, it's the production and the intent of the mix that matter for a recording to be good, very good, or just poor...

All good recordings need post-production if the intent is for people to listen to MUSIC...

I find the Chesky binaural recordings a nice curiosity, you can hear the dynamics, the room, the ambiance, everything, but the MUSIC...comes second...
different philosophies I think...

Well, one can argue that everything is music, but you can have a field recording where you can hear the birds, the bees, the wind and even some water, all in the same plan, or you can have it focusing on... the bees... without being distracted by the other sounds, the producer/mixer will decide what he/she wants you to focus to... in these recordings my focus goes to the room...not the music or the musicians.

I really don't want to recreate a live experience when listening to music... (well I'm not an audiophile, I'm a musicophile..)

In a live concert (when you are there) there is a lot to distract you, you don't go there to listen to music, you go there to see a performance and you will miss A LOT, that is one of the reasons that sometimes a good performance (to the public) is not going to make a good audio recording (but maybe a good video).

May 4, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #5,087 of 17,588
Perhaps "one" would be inclined to trade me one of their mystical cd mats for some outstanding tuning dots. 
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

May 4, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #5,088 of 17,588
  Perhaps "one" would be inclined to trade me one of their mystical cd mats for some outstanding tuning dots. 
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

You would not believe what "tuning dots" - one might call them even that way - can accomplish - if and when applied correctly and where it matters.

Except for the fact that I am in no way inclined to reveal this "tiny" detail to other competing manufacturers. I am loyal to the people who treated me well LONG after I no longer work there.

Nothing mystical about mats either - the mechanism behind all of such mats I have described numerous times and will not be repeating it.

For the way Edison treated Tesla, he is no hero in my book - the other way around actually. But I remember one (true?) anecdote about him:

In a factory, some Edison made and supplied machinery broke down - bringing entire plant to a stop. The owner of the factory brought Edison ASAP to the malfunctioning machine and asked the foreman of the shift to explain to the Edison how did the machine behave just before breaking down/stopping to work. Foreman explained. Then Edison asked for a larger hammer - and placed a hammer blow at some place of the machine; the machine sprung to life, back to normal operation.

The happy factory owner asked Edison what is his due. Edison coolly replied - 1000 $. "What - a thousand bucks for a blow with a hammer !?!" was furious the factory owner. "Please explain HOW can a hammer blow cost one grand ". Edison requested a sheet of paper and a pencil.

- one hammer blow .............................................................. 1 $
- knowing where to blow with the hammer...........................999 $
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL .............................................................................1000 $      

The same principle applies to much things - and audio devices are certainly no exception. 

Some things can be calculated with the precision so high that actual physical thing will work with 100 %  of the calculated model - actually, for real, from the first time.  Some have to be arrived at by trial and error
- either way, one has to know
WHERE or HOW something has to be applied in order to be beneficial to the process in which it is used.

CD mat is such a thing - except for the exceptional cases already mentioned too many times, it is beneficial when playing back the CD / CD-R / DVD . Never tried Blue Ray - no idea if it can be used or if it works better with it.

If you were a manufacturer of an advanced CD transport, for which you spent say a year for R&D -  and got equaled at an important show in SQ by a shoping mall DVD player - because "they" used CD mat and you did not - while both using the same DAC -  I *bet* that grin of yours would disappear  in no time flat
evil_smiley.gif

May 4, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #5,089 of 17,588
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

I don't have CD mats, yet... but I have... a Marigo Titanium power cable... I could trade for your  outstanding tuning dots.

and what about a Balanced Apparition 5.8 Signature Digital Cable?

“This digital cable is a Jonathan Scull favorite. Air, air, and more air . . . . the midrange is as good as digital gets.”

what do you have to say to this?

May 4, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #5,091 of 17,588
Too much of another Kraken?

May 4, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #5,093 of 17,588
  - one hammer blow .............................................................. 1 $
- knowing where to blow with the hammer...........................999 $
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL .............................................................................1000 $ 

May 4, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #5,096 of 17,588

...what life will be without him? ...boring!

...and I'm still waiting for the CD mats test files...

I'm surprised that he hasn't come up with a new hybrid technolgy, placing tuning dots on CD Mats. Just think of all the possibilites. 
blink.gif

May 4, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #5,097 of 17,588

nope - 

BECAUSE 

- just beside the cable review - 

I saw this :  http://dagogo.com/audio-by-van-alstine-abx-comparator-review-part-1-audio-store-wiring

It is a real hardware ABX comparator - from someone I trust and deeply respect for decades - Frank Van Alstine. I did not go trough it all yet - but chances are that these 999 $ are probably one of the if not the smartest spent $$$ in audio today - saving LOTS of unnecessary spent  money in the long run. Convince your local dealer he/she needs one to impress the customers, gain their trust while at the same time increase his/hers credibility - then get him/her to lend it to you over weekend or something.
 And it works with analog sources - no dreaded computer absolutely required
L3000.gif
 !

Specification:

Price: $999
Connections: two preamplifiers, two power amplifiers, three sets of speakers with or without subwoofers.
Precise volume level matching, within 0.1 db, of any system.
Blind test modes (either informal or formal) force evaluations by how it sounds.
Works with or without a subwoofer.
Programmable power-up state and adjustable display brightness.
Persistent volume settings power up the same as they were when last powered down.
Multiple systems can be set up permanently and switched in/out with remote control.
low noise.
Built in "Y" splitter can be used to drive two units with one source.
Allows selection of up to two speakers at the same time.
Mute entire system with a single button.
Gold plated RCA connectors for line level signal connections.
DC coupled (no capacitors in the signal path).
Ground lift capability should a ground loop noise problem exist (very rare).
Audio by Van Alstine

May 4, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #5,098 of 17,588
Convince your local dealer he/she needs one to impress the customers, gain their trust while at the same time increase his/hers credibility - then get him/her to lend it to you over weekend or something.

Why would a dealer want to do that? A dealer is much better off letting audiophools have their purely subjectivist based views. They'll sell more expensive electronics that way. And that would kill off the extra money they make on a sale when they add on some expensive cables.

Are you trying to bankrupt the dealers? :wink:

May 4, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #5,099 of 17,588
You would not believe what "tuning dots" - one might call them even that way - can accomplish - if and when applied correctly and where it matters.

OMG, beyond belief (and help)

Nothing mystical about mats either - the mechanism behind all of such mats I have described numerous times and will not be repeating it.

Actually , nothing BUT mysticism - SMH

May 4, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #5,100 of 17,588
Why would a dealer want to do that? A dealer is much better off letting audiophools have their purely subjectivist based views. They'll sell more expensive electronics that way. And that would kill off the extra money they make on a sale when they add on some expensive cables.

Are you trying to bankrupt the dealers?
wink.gif

You guys really reign supreme as spin doctors - got to give you that !

If I propose a $ 50 or so CD mat, I am a blantant snake oil salesman depriving poor audiophools of the hard earned and saved money for the tuition of their children - if I propose a really well made ABX comaparator, then I am trying to bankrupt the dealers. You win - no matter what. 

And yes, cables CAN be used to finely tune one's system. I do not like the idea of charging for it as much as it is charged in real life - but hey , it DOES work. 

You also CAN ABX two cables with this Audio by Van Alstine ABX box - simply use an Y RCA splitter at the output of the source (in case it does not have two sets of output jacks already ) and - voila - your DBT ABX of cables can begin. 

But, it is always questionable how far one wants to go with this - if an honest test might reveal something the tester would NOT like to be revealed.

It is a double sided sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back