Testing audiophile claims and myths
May 1, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #5,072 of 17,589
The title of this thread is Testing Audiophile Myths, but who would have guessed it would end up with Audiophile Myths testing us! (well, our patience at least...)

May 1, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #5,073 of 17,589
  @analogsurviver Let me guess you get this stuff off of alien abduction conspiracy websites. You have a unique talent for taking/finding things out of context and into the realm of the rediculous.

Nope. 

If all of you EVER listened to this preamp, ever seen the schematics, ever seen the description, ever seen the objective measurements of anything even approaching this level of quality - and tried to at least try to bring the rest of the system *reasonably* close - only then would you realize what is behind such designs.

It makes me puke to see comments on AGI on various forums - where milk teeth audiophiles, born heavily ACD (after CD) , after stumbling upon the AGI one way or another, asking if the AGI is worth keeping - or replacing by something like entry level Pro-Ject  or NAD phono stage. And equally idiotic answers by "connoisseurs".

I did get to hear it for the first time in 1979 - driving Acoustat X ( or was it Monitor? - 1 ESL panel more ) ESL speakers with built in high voltage direct drive amplifiers.
A setup that even now, 36 years later, dwarfs the accuracy of most of what is available today. 

May 1, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #5,075 of 17,589
  Nope. 

If all of you EVER listened to this preamp, ever seen the schematics, ever seen the description, ever seen the objective measurements of anything even approaching this level of quality - and tried to at least try to bring the rest of the system *reasonably* close - only then would you realize what is behind such designs.

It makes me puke to see comments on AGI on various forums - where milk teeth audiophiles, born heavily ACD (after CD) , after stumbling upon the AGI one way or another, asking if the AGI is worth keeping - or replacing by something like entry level Pro-Ject  or NAD phono stage. And equally idiotic answers by "connoisseurs".

I did get to hear it for the first time in 1979 - driving Acoustat X ( or was it Monitor? - 1 ESL panel more ) ESL speakers with built in high voltage direct drive amplifiers.
A setup that even now, 36 years later, dwarfs the accuracy of most of what is available today. 

All from an overactive imagination. Do you know that if you keep a CD Mat overnight in a pyramid its audio properties improve a thousandfold.

May 1, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #5,076 of 17,589
Stan's got my back. Ouch!

Hey, I'm only human. Plus I wanted to get rid of the rest of my bag of Purina Troll Chow.
tongue.gif

se

Store it overnight on a CD Mat in a pyramid.

May 1, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #5,077 of 17,589
I will give credit to analogsurviver for one thing - he speaks English very well for a non-native (he's Slovenian).

Just found one of his recordings here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k03viQs--vc

Pity about youtube's audio quality - it's a nice performance.

May 1, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #5,078 of 17,589
  All from an overactive imagination. Do you know that if you keep a CD Mat overnight in a pyramid its audio properties improve a thousandfold.

You, together with the rest of the co-thinkers, are in for a very rude awakening.

There is absolutely no imagination required once a really decent audio is heard.

Or why then CD will no longer be enough.

Only then don't start asking what you can do to improve your systems.

Then it will be my turn to laugh.

May 1, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #5,079 of 17,589
  You, together with the rest of the co-thinkers, are in for a very rude awakening.

There is absolutely no imagination required once a really decent audio is heard.

Or why then CD will no longer be enough.

Only then don't start asking what you can do to improve your systems.

Then it will be my turn to laugh.

They'll be coming to take you away first. Hahaa. If only you studied electronics, for real, you wouldn't post such silly things.

May 1, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #5,080 of 17,589
  I will give credit to analogsurviver for one thing - he speaks English very well for a non-native (he's Slovenian).

Just found one of his recordings here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k03viQs--vc

Pity about youtube's audio quality - it's a nice performance.

Good performance indeed... and very very good recording! ...but you think the audio has poor quality? why? AAC 254Kbps.

Do you think it would be much different in DSD?

May 1, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #5,081 of 17,589

Good performance indeed... and very very good recording! ...but you think the audio has poor quality? why? AAC 254Kbps.

It wasn't a comment about this recording, just Youtube sound in general. According to this article it is 126 kbps AAC
Recording sounded pretty good via earbuds I am currently using.

http://www.h3xed.com/web-and-internet/youtube-audio-quality-bitrate-240p-360p-480p-720p-1080p

May 1, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #5,082 of 17,589
It depends on when it was uploaded. For the past couple of years, youtube has been using 256 AAC VBR, I think. Before that it was 192. It hasn't been 128 for many years.

May 1, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #5,083 of 17,589
ffprobe gives this as the content of the audio stream:
Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 253 kb/s (default)

May 1, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #5,084 of 17,589
  ffprobe gives this as the content of the audio stream:
Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 253 kb/s (default)

Thanks, I guess that article got it wrong.

May 1, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #5,085 of 17,589

A fitting comment on the difference between the DSD128 master and YT version :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKm5xQyD2vE&list=PLZs0gQed9tMRIHjxkkBZ3qRVLb-8eH6iJ

It happens it is one of my technically best recordings - and the only one for which I am authorized to use selected excerpts - in native DSD128. For a year or so by now.

This is due to the fact that string playing was unfortunately not at the level which could allow for issuing the live recording on the CD . It happened so that one or two rehearsals for the strings fell trough because of the force majeure - it is inappropriate for me to go into more detail ( multiple conflict of interests of all the parties involved). I have recorded those strings since at least twice and there were no such hiccups as unfortunately present on this recording. Which will because of it all never go beyond what is available on YT - which is a pity, as singing of the Čarnice choir (and both soloists) really was fantastic - and unfortunately, unknown at the time, the swansong of this generation of singers. Today they continue under the same name with different conductor, only 3 members of the generation seen in this video remaining. Still in forming stage(s) each choir has to go trough.

I will use this recording, Mythbuster style, to dispell quite a few statements so persevering in pages of this thread. Taking no prisoners in the process.  What goes around, comes around ;  but I will do it by the book. 

In 12 or so hours, I will be recording duo organ and flute in one of the most  charming and exclusive concert stages with the breathtaking acoustics - a privately owned chapel some 10 miles away from my home. Here a vid (sound from a camera, I recorded the live concert the day before ): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2irW3kSDaVo

And here my live recording , YT style (derived from CD redbook, not directly from the DSD ):  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RRF-aLnAnI

It is 02:30 AM here; over and out till futher notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back