Tempotec V3 DAP - small, powerful, functional with Hiby OS
Jan 21, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #376 of 645
OK, after three weeks, it's time to share a brief description of my experiences with the TempoTec V3.

As you may have noticed, there have been quite a few brief reports and opinions regarding bugs and technical issues.
Therefore: regardless of how you perceive the following text, I cannot recommend this device with a clear conscience. It seems like many units did not pass any kind of quality control. Beware.

_1010674-1s.jpg

Let's begin.

In terms of physical aspects, it's very good.
The player itself is made of a single block of powdered aluminum with a small plastic insert on top, likely due to the placement of Bluetooth and WiFi antennas in that area.
It's sturdy yet ergonomic. No creaks, no loose elements. Audio plugs feel sturdy, but, luckily, connection /disconnection is easy.
I'm not a fan of glassy back, which looks like it's there only to collect scratches — especially since there's no case included, not even a cheap TPU one.
Two sets of buttons are sensibly arranged and offer a satisfying click. This is crucial because there's no volume knob here.

Two things that could've used some improvement are: the display and the microSD card slot. The display is what it is — almost like taken of from a budget mobile phone from 10 years ago. Contrast, saturation, and viewing angles are just average. Fortunately, the touch response is oh-kay. Maybe I expect too much from a device in this price range, but...
The microSD card sits quite deep, and the slot itself lies in a valley of sorts. Slightly longer nails will come in handy.

_1010668-1s.jpg

How does it sound?

Under the hood, the manufacturer included a dual AK4493SEQ chipset, along with 2x OPA1652 responsible for preamp and 4 pieces of OPA1688 amplifiers. I've seen this somewhere before... Ah, in the TempoTec March III, which happens to be lying next to my keyboard.
As a result, both devices (V3 and March III) sound (to me) exactly the same. Moreover, even the volume levels match. This is what I wrote in the March III review:

The sound is excellent. Dynamic, detailed, spacious. Slightly warmer and more weighty than what the Tanchjim Space provides me with its dual CS43131 chipset. The background is very quiet, with no digital noise.

From a user perspective:
Some promotional materials mentioned support for 5 GHz WiFi - unfortunately, it's only 2.4 GHz. Similarly, regarding Bluetooth—despite the promised 5.1 standard, the photo of the device's internals showed that it's capable of BT 4.2.
Connections are stable; I haven't experienced random disconnections or anything of the sort.

The V3 runs on a slightly modified HiBy OS, which is quite specific in its nature but functional.
It provides support for streaming from Qobuz (never tested this) and for Tidal, although with the latter, one needs to log in to the service every 24 hours. The manufacturer explains it's due to some Tidal policy, which doesn't seem that plausible to me, as UAPP on Android doesn't require token renewal so frequently, and it's also a third-party app.

Nevertheless, I get the impression that V3 has slightly more bugs than HiBy OS on HiBy R2 II. Some examples that caught my eye:
  • You can't delete playlists generated directly on the device. HiBy R2 II allows it after long-pressing playlist's name, which in turn opens a contextual menu. No such thing happens on V3.
  • When using Bluetooth headphones, the UI freezes quite regularly. The music still plays, physical buttons still work, and you can control volume or change the track, but the UI itself is unresponsive to the touch. Only restart helps.
  • The majority of songs don't have correctly imported album art, even though it's included in the file. Scanning the library doesn't help.

Regarding scanning itself: I didn't experience any issues with it, but some people reported that large memory cards (≥512 GB) sometimes present with lost folders or import errors.

_1010675-1s.jpg

Other inconveniences reported:
  • Small, narrow, almost claustrophobic soundstage and detail-lacking sound. Not to me, but YMMV.
  • Some distortions, anomalies in the upper frequency ranges, which can occur at volume levels >50. I don't go more than ~30 /100 with my IEMs or ~40 /100 with earbuds, so I can't comment on that.
  • Some people experienced volume levels going haywire and spontaneously increasing up, even to the maximum value. It has never happened to me, but just in case, I have set the maximum volume to 50.

When connected to a computer, the V3 can function as a DAC, and it fares pretty well. I didn't have to download any additional drivers. Zero delays in audio transmission; you can comfortably watch movies without the need for A/V correction.

That's probably it from me.

Any questions?

Jan 21, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #379 of 645
Similarly, regarding Bluetooth—despite the promised 5.1 standard, the photo of the device's internals showed that it's capable of BT 4.2.
It's controversial. I made mistake looking for datasheet and wrongly used the info from outdated revision. The new modules (after 2020) are capable of BT5.1.
You can also check that is has BT 5.1 features from Android app nRF Connect for Mobile.
It shows LE 1M connection and that means it's BT5.1 feature and as I understand from this paper it's mandatory and backward compatible to V4.
https://scdn.rohde-schwarz.com/ur/p...tes/1ma108/1MA108_4e_Bluetooth_WhitePaper.pdf

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240117-215937.png
    Screenshot_20240117-215937.png
    300.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #380 of 645
Thanks for your impressions @happyblack! I share in your impressions of the sound as well as your hesitation to recommend this dap without a firmware update and more robust qc.

For my purposes, I was coming from the fiio m9 and I was looking for a better version of that dap. Mainly an akm based pocketable dap with sd card, 2 way Bluetooth, usb dac, balanced out, Wi-Fi capable, and controllable from my phone. In that regard, the v3 is an upgrade in every respect. Unfortunately, I think the v3 might suffer from the same issues as the m9 in that it uses an older, outdated soc and has minimal support in the form of firmware updates. The former was confirmed by the teardown photos, and the latter remains to be seen. I’m still happy with my purchase, but it’s not as polished of a product as I hoped it would be.

Jan 21, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #381 of 645
OK, after three weeks, it's time to share a brief description of my experiences with the TempoTec V3.

As you may have noticed, there have been quite a few brief reports and opinions regarding bugs and technical issues.
Therefore: regardless of how you perceive the following text, I cannot recommend this device with a clear conscience. It seems like many units did not pass any kind of quality control. Beware.

Let's begin.

In terms of physical aspects, it's very good.
The player itself is made of a single block of powdered aluminum with a small plastic insert on top, likely due to the placement of Bluetooth and WiFi antennas in that area.
It's sturdy yet ergonomic. No creaks, no loose elements. Audio plugs feel sturdy, but, luckily, connection /disconnection is easy.
I'm not a fan of glassy back, which looks like it's there only to collect scratches — especially since there's no case included, not even a cheap TPU one.
Two sets of buttons are sensibly arranged and offer a satisfying click. This is crucial because there's no volume knob here.

Two things that could've used some improvement are: the display and the microSD card slot. The display is what it is — almost like taken of from a budget mobile phone from 10 years ago. Contrast, saturation, and viewing angles are just average. Fortunately, the touch response is oh-kay. Maybe I expect too much from a device in this price range, but...
The microSD card sits quite deep, and the slot itself lies in a valley of sorts. Slightly longer nails will come in handy.

How does it sound?

Under the hood, the manufacturer included a dual AK4493SEQ chipset, along with 2x OPA1652 responsible for preamp and 4 pieces of OPA1688 amplifiers. I've seen this somewhere before... Ah, in the TempoTec March III, which happens to be lying next to my keyboard.
As a result, both devices (V3 and March III) sound (to me) exactly the same. Moreover, even the volume levels match. This is what I wrote in the March III review:

The sound is excellent. Dynamic, detailed, spacious. Slightly warmer and more weighty than what the Tanchjim Space provides me with its dual CS43131 chipset. The background is very quiet, with no digital noise.

From a user perspective:
Some promotional materials mentioned support for 5 GHz WiFi - unfortunately, it's only 2.4 GHz. Similarly, regarding Bluetooth—despite the promised 5.1 standard, the photo of the device's internals showed that it's capable of BT 4.2.
Connections are stable; I haven't experienced random disconnections or anything of the sort.

The V3 runs on a slightly modified HiBy OS, which is quite specific in its nature but functional.
It provides support for streaming from Qobuz (never tested this) and for Tidal, although with the latter, one needs to log in to the service every 24 hours. The manufacturer explains it's due to some Tidal policy, which doesn't seem that plausible to me, as UAPP on Android doesn't require token renewal so frequently, and it's also a third-party app.

Nevertheless, I get the impression that V3 has slightly more bugs than HiBy OS on HiBy R2 II. Some examples that caught my eye:
  • You can't delete playlists generated directly on the device. HiBy R2 II allows it after long-pressing playlist's name, which in turn opens a contextual menu. No such thing happens on V3.
  • When using Bluetooth headphones, the UI freezes quite regularly. The music still plays, physical buttons still work, and you can control volume or change the track, but the UI itself is unresponsive to the touch. Only restart helps.
  • The majority of songs don't have correctly imported album art, even though it's included in the file. Scanning the library doesn't help.

Regarding scanning itself: I didn't experience any issues with it, but some people reported that large memory cards (≥512 GB) sometimes present with lost folders or import errors.

Other inconveniences reported:
  • Small, narrow, almost claustrophobic soundstage and detail-lacking sound. Not to me, but YMMV.
  • Some distortions, anomalies in the upper frequency ranges, which can occur at volume levels >50. I don't go more than ~30 /100 with my IEMs or ~40 /100 with earbuds, so I can't comment on that.
  • Some people experienced volume levels going haywire and spontaneously increasing up, even to the maximum value. It has never happened to me, but just in case, I have set the maximum volume to 50.

When connected to a computer, the V3 can function as a DAC, and it fares pretty well. I didn't have to download any additional drivers. Zero delays in audio transmission; you can comfortably watch movies without the need for A/V correction.

That's probably it from me.

Any questions?
Thanks for the review. Good work.
It looks to me quite objective.
Personally I missed information about output power which is used in TempoTec promotions.
That they are using the summery power of L+R channel.
So real output power which customer will get is two time less.
That ciould be important for people who wants to use V3 for heavy iem or headphones.
In the ideal world they should write 600 mW @ 32 Ohms (L+R) or 300+300. Thats more correct, imho.

And I think that's true about not best quality control cause what I'm hearing and what people sometimes write about the sound of device is opposite things. I have feelings that sound is can be differes from device to device. As well as from person to person. But mine sounding very strange, unfortunately. I have to return it. :frowning2:
Anyway this device has a very good potential in terms of inner architecture.
When it will be polished it could be compact superstar. And I like how it feels in hands.
The size and buttons are very useful to me.

Jan 22, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #383 of 645
i got my v3 over a week ago and so far i had most of the described bugs but the sound is great no his when using BT or Wifi even at max volume with high gain on low impedance IEMs, all buttons work fine atleast for now the only thing that bugs me alot is that when EQ is enabled it's like you are enabling lower gain of 5-6db plus on top of that theres no +-12db in EQ but MSEB makes for the Bad EQ
i got it for 150 Euro cause EU and so far i like it i also got BTR15 at the same time and can say that BTR15 is alot more powerfull with incredible bass and clean sound so basically BTR15 + cheap android phone with SD Card beats even DAPs over $1000
it's sad that even in 2024 DAPs still suck even those that cost well over $1000 but atleast now we have good portable dacs like Hip Dac v3, BTR7 and BTR15

Jan 22, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #384 of 645
I'm really enjoying V3 and my Focal Clear 4.4 balanced out with some Jazz tracks it sounds really expressive and emotional 👌

Streaming Quobuz "Musica Nuda" album 👌

By the way Qobuz has noticeably better sound quality over Tidal, when streaming with V3 🤔

Attachments

• 20240122_121651.jpg
    20240122_121651.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 22, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #385 of 645
the only thing that bugs me alot is that when EQ is enabled it's like you are enabling lower gain of 5-6db
It is something like auto gain compensation (negative preamp gain) to prevent clipping.

By the way, which output were you using in the scenario described and what IEM/HP was it, if you don't mind sharing?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #386 of 645
It is something like auto gain compensation (negative preamp gain) to prevent clipping.

By the way, which output were you using in the scenario described and what IEM/HP was it, if you don't mind sharing?
ya but i never seen that negative preamp gain been a permanent thing like with v3 so basically with EQ you need high gain to keep the same volume plus the omission of 12db slider very disappointing

my most sensitive IEMs are Fearless Tequila and other iems i've used are Fearless Provence, Kiwi Ears Quartet, TinHiFi T3 Plus, Thieaudio Legacy 2, TRI Starsea, TRI Star River, Moondrop Aria and few others that are not worth mentioning

btw i usually use the 4.4 output but i've tested 3.5 too no difference at all and for headphone i've tested Sennheiser HD569, HD599, HD560s
and my DT770 Pro 80ohm

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #387 of 645
ya but i never seen that negative preamp gain been a permanent thing like with v3 so basically with EQ you need high gain to keep the same volume plus the omission of 12db slider very disappointing

my most sensitive IEMs are Fearless Tequila and other iems i've used are Fearless Provence, Kiwi Ears Quartet, TinHiFi T3 Plus, Thieaudio Legacy 2, TRI Starsea, TRI Star River, Moondrop Aria and few others that are not worth mentioning

btw i usually use the 4.4 output but i've tested 3.5 too no difference at all and for headphone i've tested Sennheiser HD569, HD599, HD560s
and my DT770 Pro 80ohm

That is what I needed to do too with some of my setups, other than the V3. I could adjust the preamp gain to 0.0 dB (i.e. no change) out of convenience, but it comes at the risk of clipping in certain tracks. It is a nice feature in HibyOS to auto-adjust, but I'd love to have a preamp gain slider to set my own level if I know none of my tracks will reach close to 0dB level for my EQ to cause clipping. This is a feature that exists within Hiby's own Music app on Android.

Also, thanks for sharing your findings. That points to a gain issue, rather than the V3's setup lacking power, especially out of the 4.4 output.

As we all know, power is not equivalent to output volume. If you don't even output loud enough to even use the power available... I have headphone amps that would require me to crank up almost all the way to get my preferred volume, whereas on another unit, all I need is turn it up to the 11-12 o'clock position on the dial to get the same volume, even though the first unit is known to be more powerful than the second. (Same line-out volume, same headset, same track)

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #388 of 645
That is what I needed to do too with some of my setups, other than the V3. I could adjust the preamp gain to 0.0 dB (i.e. no change) out of convenience, but it comes at the risk of clipping in certain tracks. It is a nice feature in HibyOS to auto-adjust, but I'd love to have a preamp gain slider to set my own level if I know none of my tracks will reach close to 0dB level for my EQ to cause clipping. This is a feature that exists within Hiby's own Music app on Android.

Also, thanks for sharing your findings. That points to a gain issue, rather than the V3's setup lacking power, especially out of the 4.4 output.

As we all know, power is not equivalent to output volume. If you don't even output loud enough to even use the power available... I have headphone amps that would require me to crank up almost all the way to get my preferred volume, whereas on another unit, all I need is turn it up to the 11-12 o'clock position on the dial to get the same volume, even though the first unit is known to be more powerful than the second. (Same line-out volume, same headset, same track)
definitely v3 has more then enough power for almost all headphones and all IEMs of course it drives my DT770 Pro 80ohm very well with plenty power to spare and DT770 80ohm are very inefficient headphones i've seen 250ohm headphones that are easier to drive then DT770 80ohm and i'm sure we can get even more power from v3 if the 12db preamp slider was available
and the gain was done better but it's good for what it is i can listen to my music without the need of internet and without Android crap for me it's good enough even with all the bugs and missing features but i do hope atleast by 2030 we can get a Non Android DAP that actually Just Works and have all basic features cause Non Android DAPs are still such a mess but Android based ones are even worse

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #389 of 645
@LyuboA Not sure if you've tried this yet but I wonder if it will be the same observation on your unit.

I noticed I could get around the same loudness with the same IEM on a USB dongle connected to the V3 with just 20/100 on the slider, compared to 45/100 from the V3's 3.5mm output with high gain turned on. Even though the dongle is a lot less powerful.
---
Guys, if you've tried this out yourself too, please do feel free to share your findings. Try it with a simple style dongle like a CX Pro, VE Odyssey or the one from Apple.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back