Tempotec V3 DAP - small, powerful, functional with Hiby OS
Jan 13, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #286 of 645
I just encountered the volume bug while holding down the vol+ key to increase that was pointed out earlier. Thanks for the heads-up! I saw it and knew what it was, so I pulled the plug real quick before I could be deafened. :smile: Held and pressed vol+ key a few times and it let up and went back to normal behaviour, then I could decrease volume back to what I wanted it to be.

Could be a software bug, or a button issue.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #288 of 645
V6 runs Android, not HibyOS. Partially why I opted for V3, because no Android.
I think they mean HiByMusic + Hiby audio customizations of Android (8.1). And I would agree, Android HibyMusic (“Pro”: Is it how this DAP version is called?) is way better, and Android is much more open to alternate players & app… but it’s also more complex—hence the V3.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #290 of 645
Does anyone know how to use the DNLA function on the v3? I don’t see any menu to allow my device to access my server even though I granted access on the pc side.
If it’s like the Hiby R3 (and I’m almost sure it is…), it’s a DLNA renderer. If you have a DLNA server, you need a DLNA controller (app) to cast from the server to the V3. I often use my R2-II and R3-II that way, as DLNA-enabled digital transport. The most interesting part for me is that you can apply MSEB or EQ to the DLNA stream.

Side note: AirPlay works in a similar way (the V3 would be an AirPlay renderer), but no MSEB or EQ for whatever reason.

EDIT: DLNA is a jungle IMHO…!!! Don’t be surprised if you have to mess with your DLNA server settings to make it work with V3. The Hiby DLNA implementation is no more, no less standard than any renderer.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #291 of 645
If it’s like the Hiby R3 (and I’m almost sure it is…), it’s a DLNA renderer. If you have a DLNA server, you need a DLNA controller (app) to cast from the server to the V3. I often use my R2-II and R3-II that way, as DLNA-enabled digital transport. The most interesting part for me is that you can apply MSEB or EQ to the DLNA stream.

Side note: AirPlay works in a similar way (the V3 would be an AirPlay renderer), but no MSEB or EQ for whatever reason.

EDIT: DLNA is a jungle IMHO…!!! Don’t be surprised if you have to mess with your DLNA server settings to make it work with V3. The Hiby DLNA implementation is no more, no less standard than any renderer.
Thank you for the reply. I think getting the renderer settings figured out is beyond my capabilities. I’ll just use airplay or Bluetooth from the Plex iOS app.

Jan 14, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #293 of 645
Hi)
I have just received mine.
Here was a question about case material. It is cnc machined aluminum for sure. Not 100% sure, but it looks like anodized not painted. The only reason anyone could doubt is the top of the device, that part is a dedicated plastic piece, I think it is mandatory for antennas.

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #294 of 645
Hi)
I have just received mine.
Here was a question about case material. It is cnc machined aluminum for sure. Not 100% sure, but it looks like anodized not painted. The only reason anyone could doubt is the top of the device, that part is a dedicated plastic piece, I think it is mandatory for antennas.
Thanks for the info; some parts did feel plastic to me, which is why I was wondering if there is aluminium somewhere because the unit is quite heavy.

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #295 of 645
Greetings to everyone)
Some thoughts and findings after few hours of using.

First of all, my opinion won’t be interesting for experienced and sophisticated members. I do love hi-fi but my basic setup is Onkyo 9010 and Boston Acoustics A series. I had first gen (wired) Marshall Major for a long time. So I am not a sound expert or even an experienced listener.

But) I have made some diy speakers for myself using decent (non China) components, both passive an active ones. I have made a diy amplifier with managed to admire hi-fi shop driving their full sized Focal speakers with pure and linear sound. So, there is something I can say.

This thing is very good for the price. I have earlier ordered an Aigo z6pro (or an unlicensed copy or a replica, don’t know). It was a decent sounding machine using 3,5 headphone jack. But is was very poor using line out. Unfortunately the headphone jack had a malfunction, so I have ordered this for about $120 (don’t ask, I was lucky :wink: ).

Very clean, vivid and energetic soundings. Good scene and details. Both line out and 3,5jack. As a reference I have used the same tracks (alac) both through Onkyo amp (with “direct” enabled and disabled) to speakers and through decent 3,5jack-3,5jack cable to Anker Soundcore q45 (passive mode). I know, it is not an outstanding item :wink: both nice sounding. Via Onkyo, for the first time, direct mode was better. Playing the same tracks using iphone (foobar2000) via airplay utilizing onkyo’s DAC gave me a bit worse experience. In conclusion, the sound is very satisfying.

Problems: for testing I have used a part of my collection, only about 2,5K tracks. The item did not manage to add all of them to the library. Moreover, I see empty folders or lacking files in file browser. The flash card is ok, double checked.

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #296 of 645
Confirmation with regards to the stated power output specs. Combined total of both channels, not per-channel.

NO6D9Hy.jpg

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #297 of 645
Confirmation with regards to the stated power output specs. Combined total of both channels, not per-channel.

NO6D9Hy.jpg

Oh, brother. What we have here is 305mWs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back