Tempotec V3 DAP - small, powerful, functional with Hiby OS
Jan 9, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #211 of 655
When I look on Aliexpress now, I see 2 variants of the V6. One costs €245.00 and the other €348.00. But what is the difference between these 2?
Because if it is the same device, it is only €15.00 more expensive than the V3. Does anyone know how this works!? And is the V6 preferable to the V3 in terms of specs and quality?

IMG_1848.pngIMG_1847.pngIMG_1846.png

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #212 of 655
IDK what the 1.1 otg update is?? I don't understand... Tempotec says that the current version of the firmware it's 0.04...

I also have bugs like lots of non recognized covers neither MQAs... waiting for the real firmware update and hoping it solves this bugs

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #213 of 655
When I look on Aliexpress now, I see 2 variants of the V6. One costs €245.00 and the other €348.00. But what is the difference between these 2?
Because if it is the same device, it is only €15.00 more expensive than the V3. Does anyone know how this works!? And is the V6 preferable to the V3 in terms of specs and quality?

Black volume wheel, regarding the V3 I bought mine for the early bird price of $140 before tax, for this price I would stay with the V3, for the $245 V6 vs $199 for the V3 I would get the new V6 with also has android.

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #214 of 655
i agree it sounds slightly better when using as an external dac. But actually if you are using slightly bright and easy to drive IEMs it sounding shouting and crispy especially on HF. So V3 is not gentle sounding device. It’s sounds more like D class amp rather than TI opa and AKM should sound to me. But if you are using it with darker IEMs or hard to drive planars you will not recognize negative side of V3 sound.
Never understood the reasoning behind purchasing a DAP then connecting it to a phone for playback.

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #215 of 655

It is a super sale on the V6, limited quantity for that price. The V3 has a slightly better price at the AKhifi store because that store also has a coupon on top of Ali's own wintersale coupon. Comes out at about €160 for me.

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #217 of 655
Never understood the reasoning behind purchasing a DAP then connecting it to a phone for playback.
I use it with my laptop as a DAC.
and as a standalone device when I go outdoors. But at the moment I don't really like the sound.
It sounds a bit digital. It is crisp, and sharp on HF and a bit synthetic on my V3.
So it's a good device for its money, but don't expect anything more for this price.
Tempotec's marketing does a great job in the aspect of promoting the idea of true balance based on TI OPAs and dual mono AKM dac. That's why I ordered it. But the result in sound is pretty basic for me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe it needs more time to burn in, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #219 of 655
and as a standalone device when I go outdoors. But at the moment I don't really like the sound.
It sounds a bit digital. It is crisp, and sharp on HF and a bit synthetic on my V3.
So it's a good device for its money, but don't expect anything more for this price.
Tempotec's marketing does a great job in the aspect of promoting the idea of true balance based on TI OPAs and dual mono AKM dac. That's why I ordered it. But the result in sound is pretty basic for me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe it needs more time to burn in, but I doubt it.
I think the headphone/earphone being used has a lot more to do with sound quality than anything else. I bought mine for the price and output power.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #220 of 655
I think the headphone/earphone being used has a lot more to do with sound quality than anything else. I bought mine for the price and output power.
i tried two IEMs that I know how they sounding usually. I have few dacs as well to compare. Thats my IMHO. And it's only two days of testing.
Maybe my V3 is slightly faulty maybe it's not burn in yet.
Perhaps you get another sound from yours V3.
I assume It could be issues with quality control as well.

Jan 9, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #221 of 655
Is anyone else having issues with updating the music database? All my files are Flac on a 256 gig card and it will scan the card, but then it restarts and doesn’t remember anything that was scanned. I reformatted the card once, and that didn’t fix anything. I can folder browse, but that’s it so far.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #223 of 655
I tried multiple times to scan my sd card and every time it gets to the end and restarts the dap without updating the library. I found out that if I cancelled the scan it would update to whatever point it had scanned to, so I cancelled at 7610 out of 7705 files. Hopefully a firmware update will let me scan my whole card.

Also, is there no “now playing” screen? Kind of weird but admittedly I didn’t research the hiby OS that much.

I tested Bluetooth dac function and it worked with no latency problems. This is a big plus for me as it lets me watch hockey on the couch next to my wife while she watches her shows.

Listening to some Jeff Buckley and I’m happy with the sound. After hearing that the staging was on the intimate side I got a little nervous, but I don’t think my iem’s are good enough to notice that issue. What sticks out to me vs my fiio m9 is the bass detail on the v3 is better. Haven’t really a/b it, but I listened to some tracks I’m familiar with and that is what stuck out. Listened at 35/100 on the 4.4 output. My normal volume on the m9 is 60/120 on the 2.5 balanced output. Not sure how closely volume matched that is.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #224 of 655
anyone measure the length, width, and height on the player
I think it’s on the AliExpress page. 100mm x 65mm x 17mm. I think it’s accurate cause it’s shorter and thicker than my m9, but the width is the same.

Edit: I measured it and the above measurements are accurate, but it's actually wider than my m9.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #225 of 655
I have no IEMs to compare, but with my Focal Elegia and Focal Clear Headphones it sounds a bit "cheap" from 3.5mm internal output and sound is on a "brighter/leaner/digital" side, because lacking of power and refinement.

When connected to 4.4 output the sound gains more in power, but still lacks a bit in refinement and has some "digital glare".

Finally when connected as a USB DAC it becomes really mature, full sounding, musical, refined, with really good stereo separation and sweet tonality. I use "Neutron" android music player from my smartphone and PC with all hi-res audiophile settings turned on.

I think that these differences are audible mainly because of better power ouput and better sound refinement when listening with different software player from phone/pc. I think that V3 internal software music player has some limitations in quality playback compared to external connected device software player such as "Neutron" or "UAPP", which gain audible music quality imho.

That is why I use it mainly as a USB DAC from my smartphone 😁 and based on its price (I paid 160€) and really small/light form factor, I can easely carry it in my pocket and have better sound quality and power output compared to any other small dongle dac/amp in this price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back