Tempotec V3 DAP - small, powerful, functional with Hiby OS
Jan 6, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #121 of 658
53439357032_0261ec1e8d_b.jpg

Jan 6, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #122 of 658
Exactly what @Somafunk said.
Just beware that you can't really change the order of the songs in the playlist once you add them.

Sadly, in terms of playlist management even Rockboxed Sansa Clip+ is much more capable than any HiByOS DAP.

I think this would be okay because I'm assuming the playlist will have a shuffle option. I just wanted to know if you can put songs in a playlist in the order you want them and then they actually play in that same order. Doesn't seem like there are many cheaper players that do? Any other cheaper models like the Surfans or Phinistec that do?

Jan 6, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #123 of 658
Regarding build quality, how does this compare to the Hiby r3 ii? I am slightly charmed by the Hiby. I think the sides of these were made of aluminum. In addition, it also had a compact size. However, I had some doubts about the volume button, which is also a lock/unlock button. I'm afraid that the DAP is often locked and unlocked in my pocket...
Now I came across the Temptec V3 which seems to have almost identical features to the Hiby. But no scroll volume, and therefore a separate button for the lock/unlock. I love that. It's a bit bigger but still acceptable. Especially considering that the output power has been increased.
But I wonder about the material used for the housing. I don't think this is aluminum. Is this a kind of plastic material? And do the physical buttons feel solid?

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #124 of 658
The Tempotec is built like a tank and feels more substantial in the hand, build quality can’t be faulted for the price, nice big screen and responsive enough to not be an issue in use, excellent battery life as I now have 12 hours with zero 2’s at 50% volume low gain (about 70ish db) with 54% battery remaining but I haven’t been activating the screen much, the buttons could be shaped better and more positive engagement when pressed but that’s the only slight negative I can think of. I have both daps sitting here and it is the Tempotec v3 dap that i have listened to most which may be down to the fact it a new toy but I don’t think so, its definitely a keeper especially if I treat myself to an over ear headphone later this year as it should easily power what’s in my shortlist.

The Hiby R3 ii is a very capable dap

The Tempotec is a very capable dap, but feels more “professional“ in use,

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #125 of 658
Thank you for your clear explanation. I also want to control my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm with it. So a little extra headroom is always nice. Too bad I only came to this DAP when the early bird offers had already expired. But given the current price, which is approximately the same as the Hiby R3 ii, it is certainly worthwhile to consider this DAP.

Jan 6, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #126 of 658
Some additional notes after some use

Hiby Link seems to periodically stop working, not abruptly but for example if I turn it off and try to reconnect, I get a connection error which is really weird because BT DAC works perfectly fine. Had to uninstall and reinstall the app on my phone.

Gets kinds hot during use, normal though.

Charging automatically turns the DAP on if turned off, seems kinda dumb

Cannot manually sort playlists even via Hiby Link, but to answer the question yes you can create playlists with songs in a specific order and then shuffle it without changing the order, you just can't change the order of songs AFTER the playlist is created (for example hold + drag)

Sound is really what you pay for, it's very compressed sounding, not a whole lot of air or separation and the stage shrinks drastically. The tonality itself is passable and I enjoy it, but I feel almost claustrophobic using Jewel, which should not happen. It sounds fine on IEMs that are presented more intimately in the first place so I will just be mindful of what I pair it with.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #127 of 658
Thank you for your clear explanation. I also want to control my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm with it. So a little extra headroom is always nice. Too bad I only came to this DAP when the early bird offers had already expired. But given the current price, which is approximately the same as the Hiby R3 ii, it is certainly worthwhile to consider this DAP.
Would wait for the sale coming up on aliexpress, Jan 8th or 9th. Their ali store has a $20 off coupon for it rn but might have the sale with that in a couple days.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #128 of 658
Some additional notes after some use

Hiby Link seems to periodically stop working, not abruptly but for example if I turn it off and try to reconnect, I get a connection error which is really weird because BT DAC works perfectly fine. Had to uninstall and reinstall the app on my phone.

Gets kinds hot during use, normal though.

Charging automatically turns the DAP on if turned off, seems kinda dumb

Cannot manually sort playlists even via Hiby Link, but to answer the question yes you can create playlists with songs in a specific order and then shuffle it without changing the order, you just can't change the order of songs AFTER the playlist is created (for example hold + drag)

Sound is really what you pay for, it's very compressed sounding, not a whole lot of air or separation and the stage shrinks drastically. The tonality itself is passable and I enjoy it, but I feel almost claustrophobic using Jewel, which should not happen. It sounds fine on IEMs that are presented more intimately in the first place so I will just be mindful of what I pair it with.

Most of the less expensive DAPs have this turn on when charger connected "feature." Even my old iPod classic did it. My Sony, however, does not.

Regarding sound, can you tell us what other DAPs you have? Interested to see what it is compared to.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #129 of 658
Just got mine in today, agree it's intimately staged. For me it leans warm-neutral, the bass doesn't have the depth/thump you get from some more expensive players, but it's accurate and present.

Best thing about it to me is the micro-detailing, not in a sense of having super high resolution where you hear all the reverb from guitar plucks, but it shows those more "hidden" sounds very well imo, they stick out more than other, more expensive players/amps i've heard. Doesn't have the detail of some of those, but technicalities are good across the board, minus the smaller soundstage. Only used balanced so far and powers my Argons with room.

Given the price I'm happy with the purchase, having tidal is a big + for me too, where I wouldn't mind spending the $200 retail rather than the deal I got for it.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #130 of 658
Most of the less expensive DAPs have this turn on when charger connected "feature." Even my old iPod classic did it. My Sony, however, does not.

Regarding sound, can you tell us what other DAPs you have? Interested to see what it is compared to.
Ah gotcha, I downgraded from an SR25 (mk1) to this and I don't own any other DAPs because I don't use them enough to justify, but I have heard most of the TOTL stuff from A&K, Sony, Cayin, Shanling, etc.

Just got mine in today, agree it's intimately staged. For me it leans warm-neutral, the bass doesn't have the depth/thump you get from some more expensive players, but it's accurate and present.

Best thing about it to me is the micro-detailing, not in a sense of having super high resolution where you hear all the reverb from guitar plucks, but it shows those more "hidden" sounds very well imo, they stick out more than other, more expensive players/amps i've heard. Doesn't have the detail of some of those, but technicalities are good across the board, minus the smaller soundstage. Only used balanced so far and powers my Argons with room.

Given the price I'm happy with the purchase, having tidal is a big + for me too, where I wouldn't mind spending the $200 retail rather than the deal I got for it.
I haven't spent enough time with it but this might be accurate! It was a weird experience because while I wanted to (and have summarized as such) say that the technicality is lacking, I wasn't 100% sure that this was the case and was just being deceived by the stage. Warm-neutral and bass assessment I fully agree with. I still need to give it more time to see how I feel, but as it's been said already, pretty happy with it for the price.

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #131 of 658

I don’t buy into this exaggerated descriptive analysis of the sound, you knew the price beforehand therefore it’s already categorised in your subconscious as adequate for the money

intimately staged, warm-neutral, bass doesn’t have the depth/thump from more expensive players, accurate, present. Etc…..etc…..etc…..etc…

In a db matched blind test between players I highly doubt you’d be able to tell the difference between them.

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #132 of 658
I don’t buy into this exaggerated descriptive analysis of the sound, you knew the price beforehand therefore it’s already categorised in your subconscious as adequate for the money

intimately staged, warm-neutral, bass doesn’t have the depth/thump from more expensive players, accurate, present. Etc…..etc…..etc…..etc…

In a db matched blind test between players I highly doubt you’d be able to tell the difference between them.

Would you rather I compare it to my RME which blows it out the water? Not exactly a fair comparison so I didn't bother. People like you are why I am hesitant to even share my thoughts here. Enjoy your little world and I'll enjoy my gear the way I want to.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #133 of 658

Compared to what I currently own the Hiby r5 gen 2 and topping g5. The G5 is better on every account, the bass being the biggest difference, that's a $300 amp/DAC only so I expect that. Compared to the r5, the r5 is cleaner, has more extended treble and a larger soundstage most notably.

I think most people could tell differences given enough time. Maybe you can't tell or just can't afford something more expensive so you pour salt on everyone else's opinion.

I can't afford a 1k+ Dap, but I know its going to have better technicalities, eventually I'll save for one but for now this is something inexpensive for me to take on the go.

No need to be a donkey cause you don't want to think there are differences to suit your personal feelings. Stop reading about it and just listen to music on your device if you've only negativity to offer. Be happy with what you got without trying to discredit others opinions.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #134 of 658
Would you rather I compare it to my RME which blows it out the water? Not exactly a fair comparison so I didn't bother. People like you are why I am hesitant to even share my thoughts here. Enjoy your little world and I'll enjoy my gear the way I want to.
I usually see people like him on reddit mostly but it seems its pouring into this forum more, or I'm just noticing it here more.

Some people can't just be happy with what they have, they have to tell everyone there is no diff between a $200 and $800 DAP because they usually can't afford that $800 item. Its ok if you want to think that but it's blind leading the blind with him saying there's no difference when he doesn't have the experience to actually know.

The tempotec v3 is a good DAP for its price. People giving context to what makes it good/bad based on actual experience will always encounter guys like him sadly.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #135 of 658
I appreciate your impressions as someone who has this dap on the way. I’m a little disappointed to hear the staging is intimate, but I’d rather have my expectations put in check now than be disappointed in the dap due to unrealistic expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back