Talking Synergy
Jun 7, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #31 of 42
Reading what you say has really reminded me of what the problems of modern day streaming are.
I have a collection on countless CD's including four Ben Webster albums and numerous CDs of wide genres of music that since streaming I don't listen to. My NAD CD player died on me. My Denon DVD/CD player is redundant. I have a few personal CD players gathering dust. Streaming from Amazon HD and Tidal has narrowed my listening to a few hundred tracks, and this big CD collection remains in racks and Ben Webster who stirred me with not just music, but with his eccentric character too, sit living inside a CD in racks......but not being heard at all anymore. It's time for me to buy another HiFi CD player and hook it up. How sad that CD and Vinyl have like smoke..disappeared into history. Streaming is a double edged sword...honey on a razor's edge.

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #32 of 42
Reading what you say has really reminded me of what the problems of modern day streaming are.
I have a collection on countless CD's including four Ben Webster albums and numerous CDs of wide genres of music that since streaming I don't listen to. My NAD CD player died on me. My Denon DVD/CD player is redundant. I have a few personal CD players gathering dust. Streaming from Amazon HD and Tidal has narrowed my listening to a few hundred tracks, and this big CD collection remains in racks and Ben Webster who stirred me with not just music, but with his eccentric character too, sit living inside a CD in racks......but not being heard at all anymore. It's time for me to buy another HiFi CD player and hook it up. How sad that CD and Vinyl have like smoke..disappeared into history. Streaming is a double edged sword...honey on a razor's edge.
Streaming can, rather than expand your breath of genres, narrow it down. That, I believe is because it is easier to just let the recommendations (your station as it is referred to on Amazon) roll on without interruption.

However, you can take control and just download several albums, the effect of that is you can opt to just stream the tracks you have downloaded. I do that about once a month, download about 10 albums (as long as I like a couple of tracks on the album) and just discover the album in your own time.

Your CDs can all be ripped onto a laptop (and copied onto an SD card) for use on your phone when you leave the house.

Go for it, it is worth the time spent transferring your music. I believe PowerAmp has a free trial software for high quality copying from CDs.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #33 of 42
The tracks I have on my major playlist are tracks I really like...my kind of music, but rather than whole albums they are an essence of what I like. Times have changed though. I used to rip some CDs to my FiiO X1. Now I stream LDAC Bluetooth to my HiFi or listen on my HiBy R5. It's time for me to get an old fashioned HiFi CD player and enjoy my collection. I don't have the enthusiasm nowadays to rip my whole collection.

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #34 of 42
Streaming is a choice, vinyl is a choice as is CDs.

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #35 of 42
Streaming is a choice, vinyl is a choice as is CDs.

I don't spend a lot of time in my lounge anymore, and my record deck is there, and any new CD player will be there. I'm at my desk in my kitchen listening to music or sometimes in my bedroom listening to music nowadays, so streaming does have a positive. But age changes a lot of things and I would not knock streaming in any way as I really have the essence of the music I like and get great enjoyment. When I first found those funny little round CD things in those plastic cases, I was adamant I would stick to vinyl, but of course the convenience caught me out and now I have mainly CD's, and Vinyl everywhere. CDs never could match vinyl in the right setup and still can't in my mind. But Tidal and Amazon give such good quality and times change. I'm sure in 15 years time it will all change again....only I won't be here to experience whatever it is.

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #36 of 42
I was a vinyl guy and resisted CD up until 1998. Then I started purchasing a lot of CDs. The sad part was I couldn’t take all the vinyl with me on my big move. The great thing is I was able to bring the 3000 CDs with me. So still with that I am grateful! Still have a few vinyl records but I have become a CD guy. I dislike streaming and really don’t do it.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #37 of 42
On the subject of source, vinyl, CDs or streaming, I have had a few minutes with Apple's new lossless streaming service and I must say I am quite impressed by the quality!

Apple clearly has the money to ensure the quality of their streaming service.

I usually avoid Apple.....too much hype....but of the few tracks I have listened to, I have to give credit where credit is due......but not credit card yet!

Far be it from me to recommend Apple, with three months free streaming, at the quality I have heard so far, it is well worth a try, just put a reminder in your diary so you don't end up paying unless you want to keep the service.

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #38 of 42
On the subject of source, vinyl, CDs or streaming, I have had a few minutes with Apple's new lossless streaming service and I must say I am quite impressed by the quality!

Apple clearly has the money to ensure the quality of their streaming service.

I usually avoid Apple.....too much hype....but of the few tracks I have listened to, I have to give credit where credit is due......but not credit card yet!

Far be it from me to recommend Apple, with three months free streaming, at the quality I have heard so far, it is well worth a try, just put a reminder in your diary so you don't end up paying unless you want to keep the service.
Also, Apple's codec is very efficient in terms of bandwidth. Low bandwidth achieves max performance. Spotify uses 320 Kbps AAC files.

AAC 320 Kbps for modern music sounds almost same to FLACs. And they've taken that a couple of notches higher in Apple Music. They have some good things but I can't stand their closed ecosystem where you always keep buying more products for basic functionality.

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #39 of 42
Also, Apple's codec is very efficient in terms of bandwidth. Low bandwidth achieves max performance. Spotify uses 320 Kbps AAC files.

AAC 320 Kbps for modern music sounds almost same to FLACs. And they've taken that a couple of notches higher in Apple Music. They have some good things but I can't stand their closed ecosystem where you always keep buying more products for basic functionality.
You are entirely right. IPhone 3, I think is where Apple lost me and as much as I think some of their products look cool, registering for Apple Music is the closest I have come to getting anywhere near their products since then. I am not persuaded that I should lock myself into any company's ecosystem.

A free trial of this quality is difficult to resist though.

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #40 of 42
Realistic - in the absence of being there in person, that is what we want our music to sound like.

My synergy chain at this moment is:

Scott Hamilton - In a sentimental mood
Apple Music at 44.1KHz
HaaFee HA11 - Bluetooth Rx
XINHS Skinny 4 core silver plated copper cable
Tiandirenhe TD06 with ISN green stem tips.

So realistic! Yes, TD06 can pump out a bit too much bass, but pinch them out a millimetre at a time until you "re-tune" them to your satisfaction and you are in control of this magnificent stage around your head.

I hope you are enjoying your synergy!

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #41 of 42
Realistic - in the absence of being there in person, that is what we want our music to sound like.

My synergy chain at this moment is:

Scott Hamilton - In a sentimental mood
Apple Music at 44.1KHz
HaaFee HA11 - Bluetooth Rx
XINHS Skinny 4 core silver plated copper cable
Tiandirenhe TD06 with ISN green stem tips.

So realistic! Yes, TD06 can pump out a bit too much bass, but pinch them out a millimetre at a time until you "re-tune" them to your satisfaction and you are in control of this magnificent stage around your head.

I hope you are enjoying your synergy!

My current favourite synergistic chain is:

Windows PC (Musicbee) FLAC 44.1 kHz -----> Khadas Tone Board -----> Topping L30 Amp -----> Tanchjim Oxygen (IEM) or Yincrow RW2000 (earbud)

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #42 of 42
My current favourite synergistic chain is:

Windows PC (Musicbee) FLAC 44.1 kHz -----> Khadas Tone Board -----> Topping L30 Amp -----> Tanchjim Oxygen (IEM) or Yincrow RW2000 (earbud)
I've gone minimalist for a few months.

Windows PC (Foobar)>BTR5 USB mode>Smabat NCO/KB100

Mobile (Android+Neutron)>VE Odyssey>BL03

Or

Mobile>TRN BT20>Tennmak Trio (OTG/Jogging)

At times, less is more considering I don't have much demanding gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back